PDA

View Full Version : Cyclical Ketogenic Diets

Duke197
09-25-2002, 07:49 PM
I am a varsity wrestler who is cutting weight (from 220 down to 197) and I am currently tryign the Anabolic Diet (Sort of). I just read a few Articles on it and I'm kind of winging it. My Current Diet is:
Weekdays:

Breakfast:
3 Eggs
2 Sausage Patties
1 Cup of Tea, Sweet and Low

Lunch:
2 Cheeseburger Steaks
1 Small peice of Chicken

Post-Workout:
2 Scoops of Isopure w/ milk (62 g Protien, 22 g Carbs)
(Gatorade)

Dinner:
Steak or Fish
Veggies on the Side.

Supplements:
Mulit-Vitamin, Flax Seed Oil

Snacks:
Sunflower Seeds

Works out to be about 2100 Calories.

On the weekeds I switch gears......

Breakfast:
Bowl of Ceral
Biscuit
OJ

Lunch:
Turkey Sandwich

Dinner:
Pasta of some sort
Bread
Various.........refreshing beverages............ ;)

I have a few questions about this: First, will this put me into Ketosis? Second, my Nutritionist has insisted the I consume some more simple sugars after the workout to replace Glycogen(hence the Gatorade). She has told me that If I don't do this two things will happen. A) My body will start using dietary protien to sythesis Gylcogen, therefore less of what I consume is put to good use. B) My body will not be able to repair muscle untill these stores are replenished. Wrestling is a very Anarobic and explosive sport, so it requires those stores to be high. Will this throw me out of Ketosis? Would the sugars in the milk sufice for the need to restore glycogen? Feel free to critique the diet also and let me know what you think

Shao-LiN
09-25-2002, 09:14 PM
More carbs post workout is my suggestion.

Alex.V
09-25-2002, 10:36 PM
Honestly, I'd take in the carbs pre-workout as well.... you may not be in ketosis during the workout, but the carbs will be used to fuel your workout and glycogen will be re-synthesized once you come out. Not more than 40-50 grams, though... otherwise you will be knocked out of ketosis. How's your energy level during your workouts, and practice?

Duke197
09-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Right now they are fine, but then again Practice now is more edurance based, what worries me is when we start training those Quick-Twitch Muscle fibers and train with alot more anarobic exercies, I'm gonna burn out real fast since I'm gonna need Glycogen for that, not just Ketones or Glucose. So do you think I should eat some high GI carbs pre-workout and then just be fine with the carbs in the shake afterwards?

Alex.V
09-25-2002, 10:45 PM
I think so.... I'd take about 30 grams pre-workout, which should be enough... I forget exactly how lactose is utilized in the body (liver vs muscle glycogen), I'd have to look it up.

You MIGHT wanna consider switching to another kind of diet if your workouts change... there are some others that can be pretty damn effective, without the loss of performance.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-26-2002, 06:12 AM
2100 is too low calories to fast IMO.

Start at about bw x12, which for you would be like in the 2600 region i think. I'd tell you exactly, but the calculator on this Uni pc is buggard.

I'd also suggest doing something other than ketosis.

The transition from the weekend carb ups back into ketosis ain't always pretty, and i imagine the head clouds would affect your wrestling performance.

Not to mention that having carbs post workout kinda make this more of a targeted ketogenic diet, from which, weekend carb ups come every other week or even less frequent depending on th individual.

There's nothing wrong with that of course, but you may find carb intake like this stimulates some nasty little cravings after a while. Unpleasant they are.

If you find carb based or isocaloric diets hard to stick to, then i'd say do some sort of higher protein, moderate fat diet with some sort of periodical carb loads around your training.

But for now, keto or no keto, get your calories a bit closer to the 2600 region and adjust as weight drops.