PDA

View Full Version : glycerine and oligofructose

Bobo
09-26-2002, 05:16 PM
What is glycerine and oligofructose and why do they count them in the total calories but not in the total carbs, on my protein bar?

raniali
09-26-2002, 06:01 PM
There has been some discussion in the past about 'net impact carbs' and other marketing jargon used on low-carb items. From my understanding of things, glycerine does not raise insulin levels like other sugar or complex carbs ... therefore, it does not need to be included (by some loophole in the labeling law) in the carb count. The term 'net impact carbs' is used for the carb count you see on the label (although I would argue the accuracy of this statement due to the inclusion of fiber). However, because glycerine and whatever else is still eaten and digested it must be included in the total calories. There are many many many instances where the label breakdown does not equal total calories ... but do the math yourself and figure out where the extra cals are coming from.

So to whether or not glycerine is a carb or not ... yes. Use cautious judgment when choosing low-carb packaged items.

the doc
09-26-2002, 06:20 PM
stay away from the oligo fructose if you are on a ketogenic diet

Yanick
09-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Here's another one for you. Go check any processed food with fat in it. Chances are it has TFA's, now go look up the total fat and whatever other fats they have listed (saturated, poly-un etc), add them up, chances are they won't equal the total fat content. The beauty of the FDA.

Bobo
09-26-2002, 09:57 PM
yea both of those are carbs. the label says there's only 2.5 total carbs but with those 2 included there are 15. This messes up everything for the past couple days I've been eating them.
:swear::mad:

thanks for the interesting info though. I'll have to be more careful when looking for low carb/high protein items.

bradley
09-27-2002, 03:04 AM
I was under the impression that the FDA ammended the labeling laws and that it now requires glycerine to be counted as carbs along with the total carbs. The reason I say this is because now on some of the former low-carb bars (Met-Rx protien plus and Designer whey for example) that used to have around 3-5 carbs per bar now have anywhere from 20-30.

Bobo
09-27-2002, 05:51 AM
the protein bar I was eating was EAS Advant Edge Carb Control bar. You can find them at walmart if you want to check it out.

gopher
09-27-2002, 07:47 AM
Yes the FDA did change the rules. Some of the supplement companies have been slow to comply.