PDA

View Full Version : Carbs are not the enemy!

Silverback
09-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Lately ive found it amazing how people get caught upon these designer diets, i mean carb elimination is not the way to go. Too many people are freaking out over this and are causing themselves unecessary worry over such a trivial issue.

Look at bodybuilders in the 70's things like carb elimination was unheard of and there were many extremely lean guys. Lowering carbs to extreme levels just doesn't make sense, not only is it unhealthy but it can also have a dramatic effect on your mood.

What should be watched is high GI carbs which trigger insulin spikes (although not post workout as they are essential at this time) food that are high on sugar or highly processed are the ones to watch especially on fat loss diets. Low GI food such as beans, basmatti rice, apples etc.. are better choices.

Looking at some of todays bodybuilders just shows that low carbs isn't required, take Jay Cutler as a prime example he shot high on carbs pre-olympia and look at the shape he came into that contest.

Im not going too dwell so i will finish, just don't get eaten up over it cos some of my mates are going off their heads and i can't get them too see that carbs play a vital roll.

Stray
09-27-2002, 02:33 PM
But Dr. Atkins says ...

(just kiddin ;) I agree with you)

Yanick
09-27-2002, 02:45 PM
LOL @ the Atkins comment.

I have to totally agree though, carbs are not the enemy. You can get fat while eating too many calories even if they are coming form protein/fat/alcohol. No one macro nutrient is the enemy (fat or carbs) you just need to be careful with total calories.

cyclone
09-27-2002, 03:02 PM
Amen

Wizard
09-27-2002, 06:39 PM
being lazy is the enemy

Manveet
09-27-2002, 11:31 PM
I eat about 500g and over a day.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-28-2002, 02:06 AM
I don't see carbs as an enemy.

i just prefer lower carb, higher fat diets to drop bodyfat cause i find them easier to stick to.

If i didn't have the prolonged CCK effects after a fat, protein meal, once i'm past week 15 or so on a diet i'd be going nuts.

body
09-28-2002, 05:30 AM
rob - jow long have you spent deiting this year?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-28-2002, 07:11 AM
Too long.

17 weeks so far on this cut alone. I'm done in about 3 weeks though.

How many week have past in this so far?

take 15 weeks off from that figure and there you have it.

body
09-28-2002, 02:25 PM
happy with the results?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-28-2002, 04:26 PM
Of course not.

I'm a BBer, i'm never happy.

But compared to when i started my first ever cut in July of 2001 i am tons leaner now.

Added too much fat during my last bulk though. Too much chocolate and too much alcofrol.

body
09-28-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Of course not.

I'm a BBer, i'm never happy.

lol.

Not happy keeps me motivated.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-28-2002, 04:34 PM
Exactly.

The day you can stand in front of a mirror and be happy is the day you lose your drive.

duque21
09-28-2002, 06:34 PM
If i didn't have the prolonged CCK effects after a fat, protein meal,

what are you talking about? I am not familiar with your lingo, or what you are refering to?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2002, 04:20 AM
Gut hormone called Cholecytokinin.

It lets the brain know when the stomach has had enough.

Protein and fat have more favourable effects on this hormone as far as hunger is concerned (providing you're dieting i guess, since blunted hunger on a bulk when calories are hard to get down would be a bit of a twat), and so blunt hunger for longer.

It's one of the reasons i reckon a increased fat, cyclical carb diet is a good idea for cutting. It's easier to stick to cause hunger is blunted for longer during the protein+fat meal time period. And you have the psychological benefit of knowing you have an opportunity to do a mini-cheat meal during the carb loads if you wish.

duque21
09-29-2002, 04:25 AM
Gut hormone called Cholecytokinin.

It lets the brain know when the stomach has had enough.

Protein and fat have more favourable effects on this hormone as far as hunger is concerned (providing you're dieting i guess, since blunted hunger on a bulk when calories are hard to get down would be a bit of a twat), and so blunt hunger for longer.

It's one of the reasons i reckon a increased fat, cyclical carb diet is a good idea for cutting. It's easier to stick to cause hunger is blunted for longer during the protein+fat meal time period. And you have the psychological benefit of knowing you have an opportunity to do a mini-cheat meal during the carb loads if you wish.

That is very interesting, I have kinda noticed that sort of pattern before, I never knew it was attributed to anything. I guess I can put some of this new info to use in my diet plan now.

Thanx for sharring.....

Duque~

Pup
09-30-2002, 07:37 AM
I think that for the guys that eat a clean 300+ gram carbs/day, its not a bad thing, but if the blunt of your carbs is crap and you have metabolic issues with adding bodyfat, it would seem that the the cyclical carb diets would be more beneficial, and as robboe has said, its a nice mental break to think you're cheating when you really aren't.

Yanick
09-30-2002, 10:33 AM
I've never been able to stick to a straight through diet, because frankly, i have a life and go out on the weekends. However my friends used to go and eat all this crap, while i was starving my ass off.

Thats the best part of my diet, the fact that i can stick to my diet 6 days a week and the i get to eat cereals and all that other junk, is great!

Puttn
09-30-2002, 10:48 AM
personally i believe carbs arent the enemy if you eat the complex carbs

jc_az
09-30-2002, 12:51 PM
I think the dieting public would be better served by using the term, "carb. management" vs. "carb. elimination".

duque21
09-30-2002, 01:24 PM
I like the way you put that JC_AZ....more education is needed for the layman

GIS
10-02-2002, 10:42 PM
.The main reason I don't like to eat a lot of carbs is when I eat them, it takes a long time after to get my appetite up. I try to graze all day so carbs make it much harder to do so.

Puttn
10-03-2002, 05:43 AM
well you can do what i do and try to get your carbs in your 3 main meals breakfast lunch and dinner and not so much in your 3 snacks or mid meals