PDA

View Full Version : Soya and bodybuilding?

Master Sam
09-28-2002, 07:23 AM
Could someone with no now please answer this seriously?

Is Soya mince good for Bodybuilding? I relise it contains large amounts of protein in it, and protein is good for bodybuilding, but I heard somewhere there was something in soya that was not good for bodybuilding. Generally I use Soya mince in Spagetti Bolognese or Cottage Pie. Is this ok or is it any better using the old lamb or beef mince? The ulimate question - Is Soya mince good for bodybuilding?

seanilles
09-28-2002, 02:00 PM
How about....no....Scott.

Master Sam
09-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Is that all? Anyone else care to answer?

Delphi
09-30-2002, 02:51 PM
What is mince? The only thing like that I've ever heard of like that is minced meat pie. The only person I've ever seen who can eat that stuff is my father-in-law. But he eats brains and eggs, too.

GuitarPlayer
10-03-2002, 08:17 AM
for a vegan like me soy protein is a blessing. i would be stuck without it. if you are not a vegan... you can still incorporate it into your diet, it's fine, but don't make it your #1 source.

Budiak
10-04-2002, 10:46 AM
Could someone with no now

What des this mean?

BUFF STUFF
10-07-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Master Sam
Is Soya mince good for Bodybuilding?

Thers mixed oponions of this, Some say it increases estrogen some say it reduces it. Soya dosnt have a very high BV, whats wrong with a beef burger?????

I just found out theres a percentige of Soya in my Bread Is this bad??????????????????????

Originally posted by Delphi
What is mince? The only thing like that I've ever heard of like that is minced meat pie. The only person I've ever seen who can eat that stuff is my father-in-law. But he eats brains and eggs, too.

Mince is Mince Meat Or grinded Beef Or In this case Grinded soya.

Originally posted by Budiak Could someone with no now

What des this mean

Budiak I dont have a clue either

Budiak
10-08-2002, 01:17 AM
Ok, I'm not the only one.

Tryska
10-08-2002, 05:22 AM
actually i'm torn on this subject, after doing some research.

on the one hand soy contains phytoestrogens, and large amounts of uncured soy are hazardous to your thyroid.

on the other other hand, apparently those phytoestrogens also block aromatase, which i think hemant brought up a long time ago.

on a side not, natural testosterone used in HST is made from phytosterols that are also present in soy.

Bullrider Billy
10-08-2002, 11:07 AM
It's not that soy increases estrogen, even though soy contains 'phytoestrogens'. Nor does it lower testosterone (licorice root and stevia do that). The phytoestrogens block estrogen receptors and prevent the real thing from doing its dirty work in men. Men produce estrogen naturally, even without using anabolic steroids. If a man is overweight, he produces estrogen. Actually, testosterone is converted to estrogen in the fat cells. Soy reportedly blocks this effect. Although how the soy gets to the receptors before the real estrogen does is lost on me.

Soy does, however, have a negative effect on thyroid hormones. If you are hypothyroid, stay away from soy no matter what gender you are.

Soy is not the best thing in the world, and is not the best protein source, but it won't make a man grow breasts or shrink his wee-wee into a clitoris. A little bit can actually be beneficial, no more than 190 mg per week.

hemants
10-09-2002, 10:49 AM
I think what Bullrider said is probably true.

To be honest I don't know much about it's thyroid effects so if you have a thyroid issue, avoid megadoses of soy protein. 30-50g of soy protein per day eaten in the form of food is probably going to be fine in any case.

On the issue of testosterone soy blocks the effect of estradiol and therefore causes the liver to eject estrogen from the body. I think the estrogenic effects are overplayed on both sides. Men have very few estrogen receptors to begin with and all of these would be filled by 10lbs of excess abdominal fat.

Pump hard, eat soy foods (including milk) and avoid any miracle soy pill that promises you that you'll live to be 200.

BUFF STUFF
10-09-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Tryska
actually i'm torn on this subject, after doing some research.

on the other other hand, apparently those phytoestrogens also block aromatase, which i think hemant brought up a long time ago.

on a side not, natural testosterone used in HST is made from phytosterols that are also present in soy.

Im very confused about this soy estrogen thing as I have read many science studys about it, some say its bad it increases estrogen, others that its good it reduces estrogen.

:confused:

Tryska
10-10-2002, 05:12 AM
yeah realy not sure buff stuff. some sources i rust say that the phytoestrogens block aromatase receptors so that excess test can't be converted to estrogen.

btw in my original post that should be HRT not HST.

hemants
10-10-2002, 11:51 AM
"Im very confused about this soy estrogen thing as I have read many science studys about it, some say its bad it increases estrogen, others that its good it reduces estrogen"

Neither effect even if true would have much of an impact on men for the reasons I mentioned.

You are far better off focusing on foods and behaviours that stimulate testosterone production IMO.

1. hydration
2. plenty of sleep
3. reduce stress
4. heavy compound lifting
5. adequate efa intake