PDA

View Full Version : Eggs in college...

surrender
09-29-2002, 01:53 AM
Hello,

I'm starting to work on my diet, based on all of the suggestions from this forum (tuna, oats, nuts, etc). I can easily acquire and cook most of the foods listed, except for eggs. My dorm only has a microwave (suitemate has a foreman grill), so is there any way to cook eggs with it, or do I have to deal with the cafeteria's scrambled eggs?

Thanks in advance.

bradley
09-29-2002, 03:26 AM
I know that you can cook egg beaters in the microwave, and some of the places that sell cookware also have a egg cooker for the microwave. I don't know how well the egg cooker would work though.

Silverback
09-29-2002, 03:48 AM
Microwaves are great for eggs just get some whites and a few yolks in a bowl mix them up and give em 4-5 mins and there u have it.

body
09-29-2002, 04:02 AM
ever put a whole egg in a microwave?
You can cook them in water.

though CD's are more fun to watch in them, though be prepared to run when the owner comes round.

Puttn
09-29-2002, 07:27 AM
im in college and i use egg beaters i go to sams club and buy them in bulk really cheap and they are great protein source

Jane
09-29-2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by body
ever put a whole egg in a microwave?
You can cook them in water.

Wait, so is it supposed to blow up when you do that or was that just me?

Delphi
09-29-2002, 08:28 AM
My wife hard-boils eggs in the microwave. I'm not sure how long to cook them, though.

You can take a spoon and smash the inner part of a piece of toast so it has a depression in it. Then crack an egg into it and microwave the thing for about 60-90 sec, depending on how powerful the microwave is. Makes a poached egg on toast. Cuts down on cooking time and dishwashing.

Jane
09-29-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Delphi
My wife hard-boils eggs in the microwave. I'm not sure how long to cook them, though.

Ok, so it was just me.

:(

Jilla82
09-29-2002, 09:47 AM
do you know anyone w/ a apartment in or around campus?? just go to there house and cook alot of eggs and put them in your fridge.

Delphi
09-29-2002, 10:22 AM
How long do hard-boiled eggs last in the fridge? I cooked some last week, and I'm not sure if I want to make tuna sandwiches today with them.

Jane I imagine you can microwave them too long and then the shell might crack or maybe they will blow up. Not sure. Why don't you conduct an EGGSperiment for us and report back?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

TylerDurden
09-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Get a fat girlfriend!

They always know how to cook.

Or you can by a plug in frying pan, thats what i did when i was in the dorms. (weren't suppose to have them so i just hid it until i needed it.)

body
09-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Jane

Wait, so is it supposed to blow up when you do that or was that just me?

yep. we did at uni for a laugh. not our microwave.

Though it broke the catch on the door. so due to the safety features on the microwave, it never thought the door was closed so did not work. the landlord found out after we left.

We did contamplate a car battery, but common sense prevailed.

waterbuckat
09-29-2002, 06:34 PM
Get a egg cooker! All you need is water and electricity. They are great, I can hardboil eggs in 10 min, I usually do alot in one day and put them in the fridge, then peel off the shell and take out the yolk and eat hard boiled egg whites.