PDA

View Full Version : alcohol post



Puttn
09-29-2002, 07:25 AM
how bad will downing 4-5 beers on one night once a week be to my gains.... will it effect it much , because i dont drink more than that and i consider that night my cheat meal

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Once a week won't kill you.

It's good to find a balance between your hobbies and a social life.

Puttn
09-29-2002, 07:29 AM
thats reasuring :) but i know what you mean once i got to college everything changed but its in a good way and i still find ways to get my protein every 3 hours plus all my friends understand and ive actually got a couple to eat healthier and lift occasionally even tho most are lazy bums

TylerDurden
09-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Alcohol once in your blood stream, inhibits protein synthesis. You can do a search on google to get some case studies, (i just typed alcohol and protein synthesis) Therefore, i wouldn't drink on the same day you worked out. I lift 4 days a week and take tue., sat., and sun off. but if i know im going to drink fri night i will work out on tue. and take fri off. This way my muscles have time to grow before i inhibit the affects of the work out.

This is probably not fool proof. But at least you give your body that essential time to recover and build so its not totally wasted.

There hasn't been any studies on how long it inhibits pretein synthesis, just that it does. I find that it takes about 2 days before my body feels like its back on track. As a punishment, I force myself to eat 7-8 meals the next day. Thats just a little game i play to make myself stay motivated.

Anyway, my piont is just outsmart your body. Give it time to do its thing before you throw a wrench in the gears.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by TylerDurden
Alcohol once in your blood stream, inhibits protein synthesis. You can do a search on google to get some case studies, (i just typed alcohol and protein synthesis) Therefore, i wouldn't drink on the same day you worked out.

Protein synthesis is elevated for upwards of 36 hours after training, so whther you drink on the same day you train probably won't make that much of a difference.

TylerDurden
09-29-2002, 11:38 AM
Yes, i agree. but the inhibitor i believe is vesopressin released from the hypothalamus causes protein synthesis to be minimal. Therefore, the increase is not in the equation because of competitive inhibition.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2002, 12:14 PM
You mean 'vasopressin', right?

It's just ADH. And i'm sure it's released from the pituitary, not the hypothalamus.

Anyhoo, i think (although i'm not sure 100% on this) you'll find more to nulled protein synthesis via alcohol than just ADH.

If you're that interested in it, then read this (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i3alcohol.html) and this (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i4alcohol.html).

nightop
09-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Alcohol is bad, period.. everyone knows this, if you want to grow, don't drink... SIMPLE.

It's ability to inhibit protein synthesis is just one of the MANY negatives....

I will let the following two articles do my arguing for me.

(pay particular attention to the second one).

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/divider.html?sideF=i1nav.html&mainF=http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i3alcohol.html

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/divider.html?sideF=i1nav.html&mainF=http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i4alcohol.html

AdamGberg
09-29-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by nightop
Alcohol is bad, period.. everyone knows this, if you want to grow, don't drink... SIMPLE.


noooo!!! i don't think anybody wanted to say it, but now that is said it is the truth. everything in moderation and you should be ok. once a week isn't bad

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nightop
I will let the following two articles do my arguing for me.

(pay particular attention to the second one).

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/divider.html?sideF=i1nav.html&mainF=http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i3alcohol.html

http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/divider.html?sideF=i1nav.html&mainF=http://www.mindandmuscle.net/magazine/i4alcohol.html

I'm glad you posted these links.

Just in case anyone missed them first time round i posted them...in the post directly above yours...;)

LAM
09-29-2002, 02:36 PM
I made HUGE strength gains in college will drinking like a fish every night. as long as your diet and rest is sufficient moderate alcohol consumption will have little to no effect on a male your age...

nightop
09-29-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


I'm glad you posted these links.

Just in case anyone missed them first time round i posted them...in the post directly above yours...;)

ROFL :) That should teach me to read everything before posting, my bad...

after reading those articles how can people say that 5 drinks once a week is "not bad".

GuitarPlayer
09-30-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by LAM
I made HUGE strength gains in college will drinking like a fish every night. as long as your diet and rest is sufficient moderate alcohol consumption will have little to no effect on a male your age...

imagine if you never drank at all!

easier said than done i suppose. every sunday i decide to be sober for the week. that goes out the window thursday and friday nights...i feel like refried crap on saturday...and the vicious cycle repeats

Puttn
09-30-2002, 07:11 AM
well i just drink once a week usually i dont mind getting drunk but i prefer getting stoned ..... but it is a social thing and i dont want to live around trying to get huge ... 24/7

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by nightop

after reading those articles how can people say that 5 drinks once a week is "not bad".

Because in real life you can drink once a week and still make gains in size and reductions in body fat. (not necessarily both at once of course).

Yanick
09-30-2002, 10:20 AM
And because most of us are just doing this to 'look good naked.' Because unless you want to stick needles in your ass 24/7 you won't turn pro, therefore you will not be able to make a living off of bodybuilding. And because we actually have lives and friends who don't sit home on friday/saturday night and eat salads.

You just need to be able to find a good balance between social life and bodybuilding life.

nightop
09-30-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


Because in real life you can drink once a week and still make gains in size and reductions in body fat. (not necessarily both at once of course).

I'm not at all debating that... in fact my workout partner does that exactly... but its still "not good", yes you can get away with it, but at the same time yes it is negatively impacting your goals.

Now, two glasses of red wine per week is one thing.. but I think 5 beers is beginning to touch the limit. This is just my opinion, I'm no stranger to drinking... I have just chosen to stop for a number of reasons, and the two articles by Par Deus is one of them. :)

Yanick, I hear you... I wouldn't want to go Pro even if I were able, I'm a full time student and I don't drink... but that doesn't mean I don't have a social life... I'm friends with people that get drunk EVERYDAY and I'm friends with people that have never drank... You are right that there has to be a good balance, but to me alochol dips the scale too much to one side.

Yanick
09-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by nightop
Yanick, I hear you... I wouldn't want to go Pro even if I were able, I'm a full time student and I don't drink... but that doesn't mean I don't have a social life... I'm friends with people that get drunk EVERYDAY and I'm friends with people that have never drank... You are right that there has to be a good balance, but to me alochol dips the scale too much to one side.

Hey, whatever floats your boat man. I respect that, the whole not drinking thing. But for me, i gave up so much stuff that i love (food, going out every night w/my friends, stuff like that), that i'm not going to give up drinking. Hell i don't even drink once a week, maybe once a month or two, but when i do it, i never think about the fact that its going to inhibit my gains, i just want to have some fun, cause hey you only live once.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-30-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Yanick


Hey, whatever floats your boat man. I respect that, the whole not drinking thing. But for me, i gave up so much stuff that i love (food, going out every night w/my friends, stuff like that), that i'm not going to give up drinking. Hell i don't even drink once a week, maybe once a month or two, but when i do it, i never think about the fact that its going to inhibit my gains, i just want to have some fun, cause hey you only live once.

Aren't you a bit underage to be drinking?...;)

gopher
09-30-2002, 06:42 PM
I used to drink quite a bit (2 or 3 night a week) and I couldn't gain an ounce of lean mass. I could put on plenty of fat and I could even lean out quite a bit but I always ended up back at the exact same starting point. Now that I only drink two or three times a year I have been able to make some steady progress. I'm not going to preach to you young guys about not drinking. Hell, it was a huge part of my college life and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm just saying it's about priorities. If you are looking to compete you should probably give up the booze. But if you just want to look good naked and have a good time on the weekends then bottoms up!

perfecto
09-30-2002, 11:28 PM
And remember, never get stoned when your really drunk!

Puttn
10-01-2002, 06:50 AM
i get stoned before i get drunk and after it allows me to drink less

WestyHeadbanger
10-01-2002, 07:04 AM
Alcohol is crap for muscle growth but as if you're gonna not drink because you do weights, how gay arse.

Unless of course you want to compete in bodybuilding or are a pro sportsman or your girlfriend never drives anywhere so u always arent allowed to drink like me!!!!!

I need a drink.

Yanick
10-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


Aren't you a bit underage to be drinking?...;)

sssshhhhh dun tell anybody...:angel:

perfecto
10-02-2002, 01:31 AM
LOL @ westyheadbanger, btw thats also a fuckin funny quote you got goin there!