PDA

View Full Version : Strict dieting really that vital?

Frozenmoses
09-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Ok, I just finished my bulking, and I'm at around 170-172 lbs at 6'0. My question is... for cutting, is a strict diet really THAT vital? What I mean is, do I need to be paying crucial attention to my ratios, or is it okay to just eat relatively clean while staying below maintenance? I eat chicken breast, milk, wheat bread, efa supps, etc... just basically nutritious food, but I can't stand eating the same thing every day.

I realize that if I were disgustingly meticulous about my diet I would see better results, but as long as I'm eating below maintenance and getting high amounts of protein, moderate-high amounts of carbs, and a decent amount of fats, the fat should still come off, correct?

Shocker
09-29-2002, 04:42 PM
why are you cutting at your weight ?
just eat clean and up the intensity a bit - you probably dont need to diet too much IMO.

Frozenmoses
09-29-2002, 04:49 PM
I'm cutting because I just bulked up from 135 lbs, and I got more fat than I would've liked. My clothes aren't fitting me anymore, and my bf% is relatively high. I'd like to be able to see a six pack before I start bulking again.

Yanick
09-29-2002, 05:00 PM
In the end the ratios are only going to make a marginal difference.

It truly comes down to 24h calorie balance, and the muscle:fat loss ratio is mostly decided by your body.

Frozenmoses
09-29-2002, 05:25 PM
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks a bunch, Yanick.

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-30-2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Frozenmoses
Ok, I just finished my bulking, and I'm at around 170-172 lbs at 6'0. My question is... for cutting, is a strict diet really THAT vital? What I mean is, do I need to be paying crucial attention to my ratios, or is it okay to just eat relatively clean while staying below maintenance? I eat chicken breast, milk, wheat bread, efa supps, etc... just basically nutritious food, but I can't stand eating the same thing every day.

If you can eyeball amounts good enough and stick under maintenace and you can still control weight loss so you don't go over 2lbs a week, then go for it.

MRJ
10-02-2002, 05:07 PM
If this is your first TRUE cutting cycle it may be wise to count calories, macros and such.

Document everything (what worked, what didn't, how you felt, etc.) along the way. Additionally, take measurements (chest, waist, arms, etc. & BODYFAT) prior to and every 4 weeks during the dieting cycle. This will provide a means to measure your progress and make adjustments accordingly if things go bad.

In addition to getting to know your body's response to specific stimuli, you will also learn about food. The learning process is (in my opinion) the most important thing to take with you after the cycle is completed.

I'd hate to see you lose whatever gains you've made trying to do the process the easy method the first time.

It'll be well worth the effort.

Jilla82
10-02-2002, 05:14 PM
do what you like. If you just want to look good then I dont see the point in all this counting stuff. Most of us just want to look good and enjoy life. Doing all the extra stuff just gets in the way

smalls
10-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Actually most people who count cals find it very easy, and beneficial. If I tried to bulk without counting I would never get anywhere, and If I ever tried to cut without, I would loose 5 lbs a week. If by counting cals your enjoyment of life is diminished then don't. But if counting is that hard for you then that sucks for you. I have never made significant gains without counting cals and keeping track of every workout. If you can do it without that, then I envy you.

Bobo
10-02-2002, 07:01 PM
I'm with smalls. Once you know the calories of foods you eat often, it only take about 5 minutes to plan out how you want to combine them for the day to fit your diet guidlines.

of course I'm talking about with www.fitday.com I'm sure trying to count them by hand is a pain in the ass.

lol I swear fitday gets more plugs on this site than anything...

BCC
10-02-2002, 07:22 PM
If you want to make groundbreaking progress, you had better eat, sleep, and lift diet. Nothing else should matter, better break out a digital scale and weigh everything you put on your plate.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by MRJ
If this is your first TRUE cutting cycle it may be wise to count calories, macros and such.

Document everything (what worked, what didn't, how you felt, etc.) along the way. Additionally, take measurements (chest, waist, arms, etc. & BODYFAT) prior to and every 4 weeks during the dieting cycle. This will provide a means to measure your progress and make adjustments accordingly if things go bad.

In addition to getting to know your body's response to specific stimuli, you will also learn about food. The learning process is (in my opinion) the most important thing to take with you after the cycle is completed.

I'd hate to see you lose whatever gains you've made trying to do the process the easy method the first time.

It'll be well worth the effort.

This is actually quite a good post.

Jilla, your post makes very little sense to me.