PDA

View Full Version : TMan's Basic Training

TMan
09-29-2002, 08:34 PM
TMan's Basic Training

INTRO

I'm fairly new to lifting and I have the tendency to change routines on a monthly basis. I had a journal at one time on another board and that was the only time I stuck with a routine for more than 6 weeks. I'm hoping that by starting with another journal, I'll stick with my routines longer.

Here are my stats:

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 186 lbs.
BF%: About 13.5% (using 3 site calipers)

I've been lifting for about 9 1/2 months now. I lifted for about a year in college many moons ago but not very effectively. I've jumped from routine to routine about every 4 - 6 weeks. About a month ago, I realized that my strength was pathetic for someone my size. Although I'm not huge by any means, my maxs are weak to me. My goal now is strength gain with emphasis on the "big 3" lifts. Size is secondary but I realize I'll need to get much bigger to be where I want to be.

Here are my pathetic max lifts taken about 3 weeks ago:

Squat: 155 lbs. (Bleeech!)
Bench Press: 185 lbs. (OK, I guess)
Deadlift: 195 lbs. (needs work)
----------------------------------------
Total: 535 lbs. (I'm so depressed!)

I need to get these numbers up, especially the squat! I will get these numbers up or die trying!

The routine outline is next.

PowerManDL
09-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by TMan
I'm fairly new to lifting and I have the tendency to change routines on a monthly basis.

We call that "MonStar syndrome"

:cool::cool:

TMan
09-29-2002, 08:48 PM
THE ROUTINE

I'll be following the "Basic Training" routine outlined in Paul Kelso's book Powerlifting Basics, Texas Style. This is an awesome book, BTW. If you liked McCallum's KTP, you'll like Kelso's book as well.

Here's the routine:

Workout A
BTN Press 4x8
Power-Style Squat 4x8
Bench Press 4x8
Power Cleans 3x6
Standing Calf Raises 2x8-10

Workout B
Deadlift 4x6
High bar Squats 2x12
Flat DB Press 3x8-10
Bent-Over Rows 3x8-10
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8-10
EZ Bar Curls 2x8-10

I'll also be doing Ab work 2 times a week on non-lifting days. I won't list them in this journal.

The plan now is to work out Mon/Wed/Fri alternating the workouts. If this proves too much I may do a Heavy/Light split or drop down to working out twice a week.

I like this routine. I think it's a good combination of strength and size training which is what I need right now. My goal is to stick with this at least 8 weeks and see how it's going for me. I start tomorrow. Wish me luck!

MonStar
09-29-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
We call that "MonStar syndrome"

:cool::cool:

Hell yeah man! ;);)

TMan
09-30-2002, 08:50 PM
9/30/02 - Workout A

NOTES

Good workout today. I'm still ramping up after a short break so no sets were maximum effort but all were tough to some degree. I decided to swap calf raises and BB curls. Workout B looked more fun than Workout A and I hate calf raises, so I tried to make Workout A more appealing.

WORKOUT A - Workout Length: 47 min.

BTN Press
55x8, x8, 60x8, 65x8
I haven't done BTN presses in a while and never on a regular basis, so I kept these fairly low in weight until I was certain I had the form down. 65 lbs. was tough but still 3-4 reps short of failure I figure.

Power-style Squats
85x8, x8, x8, x8
Good sets here. Tough, but not maximum effort. My form was good and the first two sets were explosive.

Bench Press
110x8, x8, x8, x8
Again, good sets here. Tough, but not maximum effort. It's weird how my bench is higher than my squat.

Power Clean
75x6, x6, x6
I'm new to power cleans so I'm keeping the poundage low while I work on my form. Still, these were exhausting! Wow, I had to sit down and rest a few minutes after that last set. I really felt it in my traps too! When the weights get heavy I think I'm going to either love or loath this exercise!

EZ Bar Curl
65x10, x10
Tough, but a few reps short of failure. I love doing curls at the end of a workout. It's a good "cool down" exercise. They seemed so easy after those cleans!

Thanks for reading!

TMan
10-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Well, crap! I talked to a buddy of mine yesterday. He's an experienced powerlifter who's competed quite a bit. I told him of my goals and my Kelso routine. He looked my training log, asked some very good questions, and basically told me the Kelso routine probably wouldn't work for me. I'll spare you the details. The guy is intelligent, huge, and all-natural, so I'll take his advice.

We (mainly, he) designed a new routine sort of Westside-ish in nature. The main lifts are followed by assistance exercises. He told me to try this out for 3 - 4 weeks and then change the assistance exercises if necessary when I can better identify my sticking points. We also added some bicep/grip work since I'm not training exclusively to be a PL'er but also looking for overall strength.

Here's the new routine I'll be following:

Sunday
Squats - 5x5
Front Squats - 3x10
Good Mornings - 3x8
Standing Calf Raises - 3x10
Weighted Crunches - 3x10

Tuesday
Flat Bench Press - 5x5
Close-grip Bench - 3x8
Skullcrushers - 3x8-10
Bent-Over Rows - 3x8
Side Laterals- 2x10

Thursday
Deadlifts - 5x5
Rack Pulls - 3x10
Shrugs - 3x8-10
Weighted Crunches - 3x10
BB Curl - 3x8-10
Grip Work (will vary)

Jeez, only 2 days into my new routine and I'm already changing routines! This is worse than Monstar! ;) Also, with the routine change and evening plans this week, my schedule is all screwed up for now. I'll be doing Tuesday's workout on Thursday this week. I did Thursday's workout last night. Hopefully, everything will be back to normal next week.

NateDogg
10-02-2002, 10:29 AM
I like the new one. One thing I would be very aware of though is your form on the rack pulls after 5 sets of relatively heavy deads. Same with good mornings after squats and front squats. Both could be low back killers if not done correctly. Good luck with it.

TMan
10-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by NateDogg
I like the new one. One thing I would be very aware of though is your form on the rack pulls after 5 sets of relatively heavy deads. Same with good mornings after squats and front squats. Both could be low back killers if not done correctly. Good luck with it.

Good point, NateDogg! I'll need to be extra careful with form on those exercises. Thanks!

TMan
10-03-2002, 10:12 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight! I think I'm really going to like this new routine. It's got a lot of great exercises including a few new ones for me to keep things interesting.

I'm still working mostly sub-maximum intensity but the next bench day won't be. The workout was still tough.

WORKOUT

Flat Bench Press
140x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Good sets overall! I was really worried after the first set that I may not make the full 5x5 but by the 3rd set I knew it wouldn't be a problem. Still it was very tough. By the next workout, I may not be able to do the full 5x5. I'll just have to wait and see.

Close Grip Bench Press
90x8, x8, x7

Very tough set here! I didn't want to go to failure so I stopped at 7 on the last set just to be sure. I also have a form question about this exercise I'll probably bring up in the 'Training' forum. I want to make sure I'm doing these right.

Skullcrushers
55x10, x8, x8

Wow, I had to lower the weight from what I usually used to because my tris were already fairly fried from the BP and CGBP. Tough, tough set.

Bent-Over BB Rows
125x8, x8, x8

Good set here. Sub-max effort, but tough nonetheless.

Side Laterals
11x10, 11x10

I took it pretty easy on these today. I haven't done laterals in a while so I wanted to ease myself in. I'll be microloading these since the weight is so low. A jump from 10 lbs. to 15 lbs. is a huge jump in this case.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
10-04-2002, 08:08 AM
Flat Bench Press
140x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

5x5 I see. Good selection man. Watch your overall volume though I did 5x5 for BB press and dips in the same workout. Little too much volume.

TMan
10-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by MonStar

5x5 I see. Good selection man. Watch your overall volume though I did 5x5 for BB press and dips in the same workout. Little too much volume.

Thanks, MonStar. Yeah, I'm keeping the 5x5 to one a workout. They can be brutal as I'm finding out!

ericg
10-04-2002, 12:57 PM
You going to alternate what you do the 5*5 on? Or keep it for your prime/compund movements?

Ah nevermind, just noticed you had all the movements/reps listed above, my bad

ectx
10-04-2002, 03:01 PM
Hey, another Texan. Where you at TMan?

TMan
10-04-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by ectx
Hey, another Texan. Where you at TMan?

Austin. How 'bout you?

ectx
10-04-2002, 07:42 PM
San Antonio

TMan
10-05-2002, 09:20 PM
NOTES

Decent workout today. I think this is going to be my least favorite workout but the most important since my squat is so pathetic. I'll really not to focus and work hard on these workouts.

Triceps are still a little sore from 2 days ago which is a good thing.

WORKOUT

Squats
110x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Good sets here. Tough but not max. effort. Form was good. I did notice that I pause a little too long at the bottom. I'm too worried about if I'm going below parallel or not. I just need to lower the weight and not worry about that too much. I'm pretty consistent now about going just below parallel.

Front Squats
45x10, x10, x10

This is the first time I've ever done front squats. I choose what I thought was a light weight but I guess because I'm doing these right after backs squats this was actually fairly tough. Form still seemed pretty good.

Good Mornings
55x8, 60x8, x8

I'm also fairly new to GMs so I'm keeping the weight low. The last set was a little tough. My form is getting better.

Standing Calf Raises (one leg at a time)
BW+35x10, x9, x8

Ugh! Calves are my least favorite muscle to work. Don't know why. Gotta do them though. Still good tough sets here.

Weighted Crunches
35x10, x10, x10

Decent sets, not too tough. I think the weight is getting too high to really do these properly. I have to hold a DB to my chest now and it just doesn't feel right. I may have to consider another ab exercise.

Thanks for reading.

TMan
10-07-2002, 09:32 PM
NOTES

Very good workout tonight! I was worried that I was doing Bench day too soon (I just did it last Thur.) but I hit the poundages I wanted to. Still, I won't do the same workout so soon again. Nothing really hurts today but I pulled a shoulder muscle while showering after my workout. :rolleyes: I think I need to start stretching after my workouts.

WORKOUT

Bench Press
145x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Good tough sets today. Still sub-maximum effort but I think that wouldn't be the case next time around.

Close Grip Bench Press
95x8, 90x8, x8

Very tough sets here. I tried to bump up the weight on the first set. I'm still playing around with where to lower the weigt to but I think it's still most comfortable to lower it to my upper abs as opposed to the lower chest.

Skullcrushers
55x10, x10, x8

Very tough sets here as well. I'm really pounding my triceps with this routine. I expect them to be sore tomorrow.

Bent-Over BB Row
130x8, x8, x8

Good sets here. Still working sub-maximum effort but like the BP I'm quickly approaching my max. poundage.

Side Laterals
12x10, x10

Slightly harder than last time. I don't think I want to max out on these. I just want a couple of sets to work the delts a little. I think these are more for injury prevention than anything else.

Thanks for reading!

TMan
10-08-2002, 10:30 PM
NOTES

Decent workout tonight. I could have gone heaver on several exercises. Oh well, there's always next time. Nothing hurts today. I'm tired, it's late, I'll keep it short.

WORKOUT

Deadlifts
140x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Tough sets but I could have done more weight. I really need to get my breathing right for DLs. I'll need to research that.

Rack Pulls
85x10, 105x10, 125x10

I'm fairly new to this exercise so I'm keeping it easy. It's not that difficult of an exercise if you know how to DL but I didn't want to risk anything.

BB Shrugs
140x8, 145x8, 150x8

I underestimated myself here. Only the last set was somewhat difficult.

Weighted Crunches
20x15, x12

I decided to lose a set and up the reps to 12-15. The weight was getting too heavy to hold on my chest. I may swap this out for leg raises or some other ab exercise in the near future.

Ez Bar Curl
70x8, x8, x7

Tough sets here. Probably the toughest exercise of the day.

BB Static Grip
145 lbs. for 35 secs.

My grip work for now. Probably wasn't really necessary. I've been holding heavy loads all night. Oh well.

Thanks for reading! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

MonStar
10-09-2002, 06:12 AM
Bench Press
145x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Good benchin' TMan, keep it up man. :):)

TMan
10-09-2002, 09:21 AM

Good benchin' TMan, keep it up man. :):)

Thanks, MonStar! It's weird how my upper body strength is so much better than my lower body strength. It makes me think there is something holding me back from having good lower body strength. My quads are proportional larger than the rest of my body and my leg press strength, when I used to do them, was respectable. This leads me to believe that my lower back/hams are the problem which explains why my routine is slanted to hitting them harder than the other muscle groups. I guess we'll see in due time.

GTeyeVR6
10-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Tman - are you eating right also. Make sure your getting adequate amounts of carbs and protein. You will need this to
get stronger as well.

Keep up the good work.

TMan
10-09-2002, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the tip, GTeyeVR6!

Yeah, I'm getting about 3200 - 3400 calories a day. I calculated that I burn about 2900 calories a day on average. I've been keeping track on Fitday just to make sure I'm eating enough (I have a tendency to eat too little). I'm getting at least 1 gram of protein per lb. of BW and I have no trouble eating carbs. :)

My goal is to gain about 0.5 - 1 lb. a week. So far, I'm right on track. :cool:

MonStar
10-10-2002, 09:46 AM
Thanks, MonStar! It's weird how my upper body strength is so much better than my lower body strength. It makes me think there is something holding me back from having good lower body strength. My quads are proportional larger than the rest of my body and my leg press strength, when I used to do them, was respectable. This leads me to believe that my lower back/hams are the problem which explains why my routine is slanted to hitting them harder than the other muscle groups. I guess we'll see in due time.

Yeah man everyone is stronger in certain places. My dip strength is pretty good---but my bench has always sucked. My chin strength and row strength is OKAY. I mean its not great, or horrible I dont think. I dont know man. Everyone has their strongpoints. Dont let it bother you.

TMan
10-10-2002, 08:20 PM
NOTES

Decent workout today, I guess. Things were a little off because I bought a new barbell set today. I was getting tired of putting a bunch of 10s and 25s on my standard BB, so I bought a 300 lb. Olympic BB set. It's a cheapy but I got a good deal on it ($100) and, hey, a pound's a pound. So, the workout was a little screwy since I haven't lifted with an Olympic BB since March.

WORKOUT - SQUAT DAY

Squats
115x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Tough sets today. I'm getting better at not pausing at the bottom. The las two reps of the last set was a major struggle but I think I still could have gotten a few more reps before failure.

Front Squats
50x10, x10

Ugh, I'm coming to the realization that I hate front squats! It makes my knees pop, I don't like either grip, and it just doesn't "feel" good to me like the back squat does. I'm going to explore other options for squat assistance.

Good Mornings
65x8, 70x8, 75x8

I am coming to the realization that I love GM's! Still bringing the weight up as I get the form down. What a great exercise! Much better than SLDLs, IMO!

Standing BB Calf Raises
65x10, 95x10, 115x10

Decided to give BB raises a go. I was worried about my balance but it wasn't a problem. Way underestimated what I could do.

Weighted Crunches
20x15, 20x12

Yawn. Same as last time.

Thanks for reading!

TMan
10-11-2002, 10:10 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight! I'm loving my new BB set. I was tired most of the day and allergies were killing me but I worked out without any lack of strength or energy. My diet has not been that great the past 3 days. I'm not eating as much as I need to. I'll need to work on that.

I'm looking forward to watching the Texas/OU game tomorrow. Should be a hell of a game! I'm playing with my journal format a little bit until I find what I like.

WORKOUT - BENCH DAY

Bench Press
150x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
Wow, I wasn't expecting to get all 25 reps but I did! I probably could have gotten one more rep on the last set as well. I really felt like I had a lot of power tonight despite my allergies and lack of sleep.

Close Grip Bench Press
95x8, x8, x8
Tough sets here.

Skullcrushers
55x10, x10, x10
Tough sets here as well.

Bent-Over BB Row
135x8, x8, x8
Good sets here. It was cool to be using the big wheels on rows. This actually wasn't that tough. Another sign that I had a good workout.

Side Laterals
12x12, x10
Slightly harder than last time.

Thanks for reading!

ectx
10-12-2002, 12:39 AM
Congrats on getting all 25 reps in for BB press. Is that a personal best for you? Anyhow, nicely done.

So are you going to watch the game on TV or were you able to get tickets? Damn, I'm jealous. I wanted to drive up, but have this other thing I've got to go to tomorrow. Should be a hell of a game. Hook 'em.

TMan
10-12-2002, 07:50 AM
Thasnk, ectx! Yeah, that is a PB for me.

I have no tickets for the game, I'll be watching it on the tube.

TMan
10-13-2002, 09:11 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight! I'm still suffering from allergies but I'm not as tired. The diet has been slightly better lately as well. I'm making a wrist roller that I hoped I would get done with by this workout. That didn't happen. It should be ready by next DL day.

WORKOUT - DL DAY

Deadlift
145x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
Tough sets. My breathing is better now. It also helps that now I'm letting the bar rest on the ground for about a sec. (w/o letting go) before doing another rep. I really felt it in my lower back.

Rack Pulls
135x8, x8, x10
I really felt like I coulda done more weight here but my grip was giving out. I may need to invest in some straps just so I can do the pulls at the max. weight.

BB Shrugs
155x8, 160x8, x8
Tough sets here as well. I had to use a supinated grip to do these.

Weighted Crunches
20x15, x13
Not much to say here. I don't really enjoy these but I gotta do them.

BB Curl
70x8, x8, x8
Good n' tough sets here. Damn near hit failure but I really wanted to hit 8 reps on each set.

Static BB Grip
160 lbs. for 30 sec
Again, probably totally unnecessary but I like doing these static grips. Hopefully next time I can substitute wrist rollers for static grip.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
10-14-2002, 09:06 AM
I really felt like I coulda done more weight here but my grip was giving out. I may need to invest in some straps just so I can do the pulls at the max. weight.

I would stay away from straps if I were you TMan, go natural with your grip. Chalk your hands up and just grip with all your might. Straps in the long run will make your grip weaker. Your grip will end up relying on the straps to pull practically anything. It will just be a mistake if you ask me. :):)

TMan
10-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the advice, MonStar! I'll avoid the straps and try the chalk for now. I was only going to use the straps for the rack pulls. I've never use straps for DLs. But since I'll probably switch the rack pulls for something else in a couple of weeks, I don't think it'd be worth the trouble.

jiacstrap
10-14-2002, 09:53 PM

I would stay away from straps if I were you TMan, go natural with your grip. Chalk your hands up and just grip with all your might. Straps in the long run will make your grip weaker. Your grip will end up relying on the straps to pull practically anything. It will just be a mistake if you ask me. :):)

good advice, and very true. A good grip and forearms are very unpopular for some reason today. Not that using straps on one exercise is going to make that much of a difference anyway though.

MonStar
10-14-2002, 10:01 PM
jiacstrap:

I personally feel that straps WILL make a big difference on the movements. Honestly it will take about 50% of the grip away. For example if you were pulling 500 lbs. you would probably actually be pulling around 250 lbs. with straps. At least in my experience with straps. This will obviously lead to MUCH less forearm and grip stimulation. Which is not a good thing unless you want pencil thin forearms and a p*ssy grip.

TMan
10-14-2002, 10:28 PM
NOTES

Wow! Absolutely awesome workout tonight! A bunch of new PRs! I don't know what it was but I felt very strong tonight. Everything went very smoothly and in control too.

WORKOUT - BENCH DAY

Bench Press
155x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
Wow! New PR! Once again, I wasn't expecting to get all 25 reps but I did! And it didn't feel all that hard, about as hard as last time. I probably could have gotten one or two more reps on that last set. Woohoo!

Close Grip Bench Press
100x8, x8, x8
Another incredible set! New PR! I was only hoping to get 6 reps each set but the strength was there so I went for 8. I probably could have gotten 10 reps each set if I was going for failure.

Skullcrushers
60x8, x8, x8
Tough sets here. Really felt good. The last rep on the last set was a struggle. I don't think I could have gotten another one.

Bent-Over BB Row
145x8, x8, x8
Another new PR! I was about one rep short of failure on the last set. I sometimes cheat and don't bring the bar all the way up to the abs but not tonight. All reps were full ROM.

Side Laterals
15x10, x9
Tough sets here. First set went real well. Full ROM, no cheating. I started cheating on the last set. I did 10 reps but the last rep was only about 1/2 way up so I didn't count it. I was reaching failure and didn't want to push myself too much.

Thanks for reading! Woohoo!

ectx
10-14-2002, 10:50 PM
TMan, congrats on all the new PR's. Looks like you hit a lot of them.

What's a rack pull? Never heard of 'em before.

Oh yeah...I'm glad I didn't go to the game. Geez, I'm still pissed. Oh well. Freaking Simms!
:swear:

TMan
10-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Thansk, ectx! A rack pull is basically a partial DL done from the knees up. You use a power cage and set the pins just below your knees then pull the bar up to lockout like your doing a DL. Great exercise to work the lower back.

Simms is crap against good teams and proved it once again in this game but OU's QB was worse. I think Hybl helped UT more than he helped OU. Kenneth Griffin won that game for OU, plain and simple.

TMan
10-15-2002, 08:02 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. Nothing incredible like last night so I guess it was a fluke. Oh well, I'll take it! I decided to drop front squats and give Dimel Deadlifts a try. For more info on Dimel DLs see the thread I started here (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21330) in the Training Forum.

WORKOUT - SQUAT DAY

Squats
120x5, x5, x5, x4, x4
Very tough sets. I finally hit my maximum poundage for 5x5. I probably could have gotten that last rep on the second to last set but I did't want to push it. There's no way I would have gotten that last rep on the last set. I was losing my form on the fourth rep.

Dimel DLs
95x20, x20
This was interesting. I've never done these before so this was more of a practice. This is supposed to hit the hammies pretty hard. The first set felt more like straight DLs hitting the lower back pretty hard. I remembered to keep the knees from moving forward and stick the butt out on the second set and I could feel it hitting the hams. I'll give this exercise 2 weeks.

Good Mornings
85x8, x8, 90x8
Good tough sets here. The last one was really tough. I'm loving these!

Standing BB Calf Raises
115x10, 125x10, 135x10
Only the last set was tough here. I'm still working on my balance. Some reps are good, some are not. As long as the calves feel worked, I'm okay with it.

Weighted Crunches
20x15, x15
No comment.

Thanks for reading!

TMan
10-18-2002, 10:23 AM
After being on this routine for close to 3 weeks now, I've decided to change things up a little bit. I think my lower back is getting hammered a little bit too hard. My recovery on Bench days is excellent but it seems like my lower back recovery on Squats and DL days is not good because I'm hitting it hard both days.

I'm think by lowering the volume just a bit and moving a few things around I can turn this into a 5 day split. The rack pulls seemed redundant and I don't think that's my sticking point right now so they're gone. I think the GMs on Squat day is hurting my DLs so I'm moving them to DL day. Grip work was pointless on DL day so it's moved to Squat day just because I really want to keep it. Grip work on Squat day will also keep me excited about Squat day since I hate doing squat assistance work. I also can't seem to find a 3rd squat assistance exercise that I like that won't hammer my lower back, so it's gone for now. Maybe I'll add something later. Bench Day stays the same. Here's the new plan:

Day 1 - Squat Day
Squats 5x5
Calf Raises 3x8-10
Weighted Crunches 2x10-15
Grip Work (will vary)

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - Deadlift Day
Deadlifts 5x5
Good Mornings 3x6-8
BB Shrugs 3x8-10
Weighted Crunches 2x10-15
EZ BB Curl 3x8-10

Day 4 - Bench Day
Flat Bench Press 5x5
CGBP 3x6-8
SkullCrushers 3x8-10
Bent Over BB Row 3x8-10
Side Laterals 2x10-12

Day 5 - Rest

Rinse and repeat.

TMan
10-18-2002, 09:31 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight! I'm glad I substitued GMs for rack pulls. I think they fit much better here. Rack pulls seemed really redundant and I don't really think the top half of the DL is whree my sticking point is. If I can get the BB over my knees then lockout is usually not a problem.

I also started using chalk to help my grip. I think it did help a little. Of course, dropping rack pulls also helped me keep my grip on the shrugs.

WORKOUT - DL DAY

Deadlift
155x5, x5, x5, x5, x5
Tough sets. These are more of an endurance test than a strength test it seems like sometimes. They wore me out! Still they were tough strength-wise and I was slightly losing my form on a couple of reps. I need to make sure not to do that.

Good Mornings
85x8, x8, 90x8
Good sets here. I could really feel it in my lower back.

BB Shrugs
165x8, x7, x6
Tough sets here. This is probably the only exercise I go to failure on because it's hard to tell how many more I can do given the short ROM. Grip was good but this is almost just as much a grip exercise as it is a traps exercise.

Weighted Crunches
25x15, x12

BB Curl
70x9, x9, x7
Very hard sets here. I really wanted that 8th rep on the last set but it wasn't gonna happen.

Thanks for reading!

ectx
10-19-2002, 11:11 AM

BB Shrugs
165x8, x7, x6
Tough sets here. This is probably the only exercise I go to failure on because it's hard to tell how many more I can do given the short ROM. Grip was good but this is almost just as much a grip exercise as it is a traps exercise.

I know what you mean about grip here. Between this and SLDL's I think they're as much of a challenge on grip as they are on anything else. So how do you like the changes to your routine so far?

TMan
10-19-2002, 10:36 PM
Still a little early to say how I like the changes. DL day was much better. DLs followed by rack pulls followed by BB shrugs killed my grip. The way it is now is much better. I've also noticed that 5x5 DLs take longer than the other 5x5s. Long sets and I need longer rest periods so I'm glad I moved the grip work else the workout would last an hour and I like to keep things under an hour. Most of my workouts last 45 - 50 minutes.

TMan
10-19-2002, 10:47 PM
NOTES

Good workout today. Not as awesome as my last Bench day but still good. I've now hit my maxes on 2 of my 3 major lifts. I'm still not working at my max. level for DLs but I suspect I will be the next workout or two.

WORKOUT - BENCH DAY

Bench Press
160x5, x4, x3, x3, x3
Very tough sets here. It seemed like every rep was a struggle. I don't think I could have gotten another rep on that last set. I was getting very near failure. Still I surprised myself by getting 3 reps on the last two sets. Good job, me!

Close Grip Bench Press
105x8, x6, x6
These were actually easier than I thought they'd be. Still tough but I probably could have done a few more reps. I'm glad I didn't though, I want to make sure to avoid failure on the assistance work.

Skullcrushers
60x9, x9, x8
Tough sets here. Really felt good. I may swap this exercise for a chest exercise in a workout or two. Maybe DB press or parallel bar dips.

Bent-Over BB Row
145x10, x9, x9
Nice sets here. Good strength and full ROM. I love this exercise.

Side Laterals
15x10, x10
I got a little lazy here. I need to get the full ROM on these especially the last couple of reps.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
10-20-2002, 11:44 AM
Bench Press
160x5, x4, x3, x3, x3

Close Grip Bench Press
105x8, x6, x6

Skullcrushers
60x9, x9, x8

Nice strength on these exercises TMan! Keep up the nice work. I am guessing that youll probably max out for bench at what around 185 or something along those lines? I might be low I am not really sure.

Nice CG bench and skullcrusher strength too though man. Thats a lot of sets for triceps. 6 total sets for tris and only 5 for chest. CG bench involves some chest though.

Bent-Over BB Row
145x10, x9, x9

Side Laterals
15x10, x10

Good strength here man! Bentover row strength is supposed to be very close to your flat bench press strength I believe. So its all good.

TMan
10-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Damnit, I really need to quite reading about powerlifting/strength training! I ran across a couple of articles and routines that have me very interested. I'll probably catch hell for this but I'm thinking of changing my routine. Here's why:

1. I'm obsessed with the "3 big" lifts. There are a few assistance exercises that are close to my heart (CGBP, GM) but I really can't stand to do the rest. I just want to squat, DL, and bench, that's all. I look forward to the first 5x5 exercise but it's all downhill after that.

2. I don't know why I'm doing assistance work at all. I don't know what my sticking points are and I think I'm still too much of a newbie to have any consistent sticking points.

3. To quote Bryce Lane: "Ditch the ab and tiny muscle work until you have something to sculpt." I've got very little to sculpt. I want to hit my body hard with the compound stuff and cut out the bullshit. I like to lift heavy stuff, plain and simple. I'm a freak.

I usually get really pissed off at myself when I drop a routine but not this time. My current routine has been productive in helping me find out what I want to do. I know what I want to do now and I can rearrange things to meet my immediate goals.

So, what am I going to do? I'm not sure yet. Korte's 3x3 (http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/korte.htm) sounds very appealing to me. I'll get to do the 3 lifts 3 times a week. That sound very appealing to me. There's also a routine by the Bryce Lane mentioned above that uses only the 3 lifts and also sounds very intense but maybe too intense for me right now. For right now, I'm going to max out on the 3 lifts so I'll have a reference point in case I want to do Korte's routine or some other periodization routine. I'm really leaning towards Korte's 3x3 routine. It sounds just insane enough for me.

Saturday Fever
10-22-2002, 12:58 PM
I'll give my ideas on powerlifting, and you can do with them what you like. First off, it's addictive. Once you start you'll never go back. If you try it, I recommend using a sample workout from Westside. And lastly, if you're in it for size, don't worry. As long as you eat a solid diet, you'll still get bigger using Westside. It isn't geared to make you "buff" but size gains are all about diet anyways. So eat tons of calories, and you'll continue to grow. The biggest thing you'll notice is your strength going up and up.

TMan
10-23-2002, 07:47 AM
Thanks, SF. From what I've seen, and talking to people who train Westside, it's a great routine no doubt about it. I just don't think I'm at "that level" yet. I just think I need to build the foundation and work on the lifts. I definitely plan on training Westside some day, I just don't think that day is now. Maybe when I decide to compete I'll start it but I'm a ways off from thinking about competing.

Size is important to me, secondary to strength, but I have the same philosophy about it that you do. Eat a lot, train hard, and the size will come. It's hard to get strong without getting big and vice versa.

TMan
10-23-2002, 08:13 AM
Well, I tested my 1RMs last night. I did a little better than I tought. Almost wants to make me keep doing what I'm doing becasue it seems to be working. Maybe I'll go back to this after the Korte routine.

Squats
160x1, 165x1
Old 1RM: 155
New PR! I underestimated myself here. The 160 was pretty easy and the 165 was not incredibly difficult either. Had I started at 170 I probably could have gotten it.

Bench Press
195x1, 200x1
Old 1RM: 185
New PR! 195 was tough but I felt like I could have gone a bit higher. 200 was a struggle but I locked it out. There was no way I could have done 205.

Deadlift
205x1, 210x1
Old 1RM: 195
New PR! Sort of the same case as squats. If I had started at 215 I probably could have done it. But I was just too out of gas after the 210 to even try.

So, my new total is 575. Added 40 pounds to my total in about 6 weeks. Not too bad!

So I've pretty much decided on Korte's 3x3 routine. I figure it's only 8 weeks (if I last that long), I might as well give it a shot. The first 4 weeks is pretty much all 5x5 which I like. If I start it next week I'll finish right before Xmas which is my next scheduled break from lifting. Korte's routine is all based on percentages for your projected 1RMs on the 3 big lifts. Given the excellent results I've had lately I've made my projected goals a little ambitious. Here are my projected 1RM for the Korte routine:

Squat: 190 lbs.
BP: 225 lbs.
DL: 240 lbs.

I'll be doing a "test workout" on Thursday to see how long a workout lasts and how many sets I'll be doing. The "official" start is next week. I'm gonna try and stick to the routine verbatim. There's a lot of mixed reactions to this routine. Some say it works, some say it doesn't. I want to know how the exact routine works for me.

TMan
10-30-2002, 09:02 AM
Well, I'm now doing a complete 180 on my routine choice. I took a 4 day unavoidable break but before that I gave the Korte 3x3 a one workout trial. I did not like it. I don't know why, it seemed like the perfect routine for me, but doing all 3 lifts in one workout (Squat, BP, DL) I was burnt out by the time DL came up. And that was with only using 58% of my maxes on everything.

So I spent the 4 days thinking about my routine and reading stuff. It was the article Maximum Strength (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=33) by Powerman (is this PowermanDL?) that really got me thinking. I looked at Saturday Fever's and a few other's journals and decided to try a Westside routine. So, I went from wanting to do the 3 big lifts exclusively to not doing them at all. :) There just seems to be too many good things said about Westside that I'd be crazy to not at least give it a shot.

My routine is based on Bob Youngs Sample Workout (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/bobyoungs-sampleworkout.htm) . It seemed like a good overall strength routine (with bicep and neck work) with emphasis on the big 3 lifts which is exactly what I wanted. Here's my version of it:

Monday - ME Sq/DL
ME exercise - Do one of the following (max 3 on GMs, 1RM on everything else):
Box Squat
Good Mornings
Platform Deadlifts

Lower back work - Do one of the following for 4 sets of 8 - 10 reps:
Romanian DLs
Reverse Hypers
Ham/Glute Raise

Ab work - 4 sets of 8 - 20 reps
Neck Work

Wednesday - ME BP
ME exercise - Do one of the following:
Wide Grip Bench - work up to 6RM
Floor Press - work up to 1RM
DB Press - 3 sets of 20 reps
Close Grip Incline BP - work up to 1RM

Skullcrushers- 4 sets of 3 - 10 reps
Side Laterals - 3 sets of 8 - 12 reps
Bent Over BB Rows - 4 sets of 8 - 10 reps
BB Curl - 3 sets of 8 - 20 reps

Friday - Speed SQ/DL
Box Squat - 8-12 sets of 2 w/ 65%-75% of 1 rep Box Max
Lower Back work (see above)
Ab work - 4 sets of 8 - 20 reps
BB Shrugs - 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps

Sunday - Speed BP
Speed BP - 8-10 sets of 3 w/ 60% raw 1RM
JM Presses - 4 sets of 3 - 10 reps
Front Raises - 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps
Bent Over BB Rows - 4 sets of 8 - 10 reps
BB Curl - 3 sets of 8 - 20 reps

I've got some variety here which should keep my enthusiasm high. I'll be changing the ME exercises every 2 to 3 weeks. Let's see if this routine sticks. If it does I'll stick with it until Christmas then see how I'm doing. I started it on Monday with the ME SQ/DL day. Any suggestions of advice is welcome.

Saturday Fever
10-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the Westside. :)

The sample routine by Bob Youngs was the routine I used for 9 weeks when I first changed to Westside and I love it. I added 35lb to my bench, 60lbs to my squat, and 70lbs to my deadlift in that 9 weeks.

A few recommendations on that particular routine. On your Dynamic days, don't go heavy on your assistance. Go for a lighter weight, and 10-15 reps. On your ME days, you can go extra heavy on your triceps, but keep everything else in the 6-8 rep range. I noticed that if I strayed from those ideas, I never recovered in time between days.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you might have, there's plenty of support for Westside here. And I look forward to seeing you destroy your PR's regularly.

ps: Be sure to read some of Dave Tate's articles on form for bench and squats over at www.elitefts.com

Saturday Fever
10-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Let me guess, you left feeling like you didn't do enough? :) Good solid day. Start lower on your squats so your CNS has time to adapt next time. Otherwise, looks solid.

Saturday Fever
10-30-2002, 09:59 AM
If you workout every other day, like the routine calls for, the 3x lats work shouldn't be too much. Just remember on your bench days to do a row, and a pulldown/pullup on the leg day. "leg day." I sound like a bodybuilder.

TMan
10-30-2002, 10:42 AM
NOTES

This was the first workout of my new Westside routine. My hams are pretty sore from the box squats. I think they are a weak point for me. I may switch the lower back training to ham/glute raises. I found a good way to do these at home with a stability ball. I just need a stability ball. :)

ME SQ/DL
Box Squats
135x1, 145x1, 155x1, 160x1
My box high is set so that I go just below parallel. I slowly sit down on it, stay there for about a sec. only relaxing the hips, then explode up. 160 was a struggle but I locked out. The toughest part was the middle of the movement. I didn't feel confident enough to try 165 but I'll try it next week.

Romanian Deadlifts
95x10, 115x10, x8, x8
Good sets here. I went a little easy because I haven't done this exercise in a while and I'm still fairly new to them.

Weighted Crunches
10x20, x15, x13, x12

Neck Work
Neck Extension: 2.5x10, 5x10, 7.5x10
Neck Flexion: 2.5x10, 5x10, 7.5x8
Never done neck work before. Used plates for these and followed the instructions on exrx.net. I took it light and easy. I didn't do the full ROM. I need to feel more comfortable doing these before I do more. I want a big strong neck and I think combining these with shrugs will do it.

Thanks for reading!

TMan
10-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Thanks, SF! It's cool to see someone else has done this routine with good results. I'll definitely take what you say under consideration. I took out one of the Lat work exercises because 3x a week just seemed like overkill to me. I may put it back in but just go light like you suggested.

TMan
10-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
Let me guess, you left feeling like you didn't do enough? :) Good solid day. Start lower on your squats so your CNS has time to adapt next time. Otherwise, looks solid.

LOL, you guessed right. Going from 5x5 squats to singles is quite a switch. But I like the new format. I actually did start a little bit lower to warmup but I only listed the exercises that I considered "work" sets. I'll add more work sets.

Originally posted by Saturday Fever
If you workout every other day, like the routine calls for, the 3x lats work shouldn't be too much. Just remember on your bench days to do a row, and a pulldown/pullup on the leg day. "leg day." I sound like a bodybuilder.

Thanks, SF! I think I will add pullups to ME SQ/DL day and put the neck work back on the Speed Squat day where it is originally in the sample routine.

What about the Pressdowns? I work out at home and can't do them and couldn't think of a goos substitute so I just took them out. Can you think of a good sub. that you can do with BB/DBs? I can only think of skullcrushers but I'm already doing those. Would JM presses followed by skullcrushers be redundant?

Saturday Fever
10-30-2002, 04:47 PM
I just took the pressdowns out altogether. Skulls and JM Press aren't redundant, but keep the total sets a little lower than they recommend to begin with. Initially, that's a lot of volume.

I believe I would do 3 or 4 sets of skulls and that was it after bench for triceps.

TMan
10-30-2002, 11:11 PM
NOTES

First ME BP day. It went okay. My energy level was low tonight and it showed in my lifts. Plus, my abs are still sore from the last workout. Still, I'm liking the new routine. It's going to be interesting to see how much I gain on the 3 lifts after 8 weeks of this. I've been reading tons of articles on Westside. Pretty cool stuff!

ME BP Day
Wide Grip Bench Press
95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 145x6, 150x6
Good tough sets here. I place my hands about 3 inches further out than my normal grip. I'm assuming that's enough. I maxed out at what I expected to max out at. I probably could have done 4 or 5 reps @ 155 but not 6 reps. I'll get it next time.

Skullcrushers
70x3, 65x8, x7, x5
I tried 70 but quickly realized it was a little too much weight. 65 worked better for me.

Side Laterals
16x8, x8, x8
Tough sets here. Got full ROM on most reps. Cheated on a couple.

Bent Over BB Row
145x10, x8, x8
Again, tough sets here. These wore me out. I hit about what I expected. Probably could have done a little better if I wasn't so tired. I also just realized I only did 3 sets when I was supposed to do 4. I'm used to doing 3 sets of these from my last routine. Man, I was off my game tonight!

EZ Bar Curls
70x8, x7, 65x8
Ugh, here is where I ran out of gas. I should be doing better than this but it just wasn't happening tonight. Oh well, let's see what happens next week.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday Fever
10-30-2002, 11:23 PM
Just remember, the biceps work is supposed to help make your lat work stronger, and your lat work is supposed to help make your bench stronger. Don't ever look at your journal and think, "Man that looks weak" because the amount of weight you're lifting doesn't matter. Your focus on those smaller lifts should be on using them to aid your main lifts.

Solid workout today, looks really good. I think you're on the road to insane strength in the next 10-12 months.

MonStar
10-31-2002, 05:13 PM
Wide Grip Bench Press
95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 145x6, 150x6

Nice bench pressing strength TMan, keep up the hard work. When are you testing your maxes next?

TMan
11-01-2002, 08:49 AM
I'm going to give this routine 8 weeks. I'll test my maxes right before Christmas, then take a short break, and decide what to do next. If I really like the routine I may stick with it for a while longer.

TMan
11-01-2002, 09:30 PM
NOTES

Good workout today. I decided to take the suggestion from SF and do fairly light assistance work on the Speed days. I'll keep most of the assistance workout to 6 - 8 reps on ME days (except for tris which will be 3 - 8) and 8 - 10 reps on Speed days with lighter weights. I really don't like doing more than 10 reps for anything except abs and calves. There are a couple of exceptions but I think after speed BP on Sunday, I'll post the final version of my Westside routine. After this first week I want to resist tweaking the routine any further so I can give it a fair assessment in 8 weeks.

SPEED SQ/DL

Speed Box Squats
105x2 (10 sets)
Good sets here. This is the first time I've done speed box squats so I'm still learning the best way to do them. My goal is to descend at normal box squat speed, pause on the box for about 1/2 a second, then explode up as quickly as possible while maintaining good form. I successfully did this on about half the sets. I still need a little work getting this right every time. The weight was not too heavy and not too light but just right.

Romanian Deadlifts
95x10, x10, x10, x10
Good sets here. This was a little tough, and shouldn't have been, because I mowed the lawn today and pushing the mower for an hour wears out the ole back. This should be easier next time.

Crunches
4 sets of 15 reps

BB Shrugs
160x8, x8, x8
Went fairly heavy on these. Not incredibly tough but definitely not easy. Ended the last set with a static hold just for fun.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
11-02-2002, 06:24 AM
I'm going to give this routine 8 weeks. I'll test my maxes right before Christmas, then take a short break, and decide what to do next.

Do you have any goals in mind for what your maxes are going to be TMan? Good luck with this program, it seems pretty solid.

Saturday Fever
11-02-2002, 11:24 AM
After 8 weeks you'll be hooked on Westside, guaranteed. You'll start bringing boards and bands to the gym with you, and trying to think of ways to sneak chains in, trust me. Good work on the Speed day. An idea to keep in mind is that you want to do no less than a rep a second. If you need to, sacrifice some pounds. You're training bar speed anyways.

TMan
11-03-2002, 10:34 PM
NOTES

First Speed BP day and last workout of the first week of my new Westside routine. I don't think I'll have any problem sticking to this routine, I'm really liking it. I may still tweak a few exercises here and there but the core will remain the same until Christmas.

Strength was a little off today but that's okay because I didn't want to go all out of any of the exercises.

SPEED BP DAY

Speed Bench Press
120x3 (10 sets)
I really enjoyed these. I did these similar to the speed box squats: descend at normal speed, touch the chest for less than half a second, then explode up. Weight seemed a little light but that's okay.

Skullcrushers
55x10, x10, x10, x10
Good sets here, a little tougher than I expected but not too tough.

Front Raises
10x12, 11x10, x10
Fairly easy sets. I picked too low of a weight. I'll raise it to 12.5 next time, that should be just right.

Bent Over BB Rows
115x10, x10, x10, x10
Good sets here. I wanted to take these easy since I'll do doing heavy pull ups tomorrow. The intensity was just right, I think.

EZ Bar Curls
60x8, x8, x8
Again, a little tougher than I expected but not a problem.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
11-03-2002, 10:51 PM
Nice workout TMan---good work. Strength is looking good and its good to see you sticking with Westside man.

Saturday Fever
11-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Some notes for your speed work on bench. You should be completing 3 reps in less than 3 seconds. If you aren't, lower the weight. Speed work is all about speed, not about weight.

TMan
11-04-2002, 08:30 AM
Monstar: Thanks, man! It's a little weird to be working on the 3 big lifts but not actually doing them exactly but I trust the routine. It'll be fun to test my maxes in 7 weeks and see how far I got. I really have no expectations as to how much I'll increase my maxes. We'll have to wait and see.

SF: Thanks for the tips. They are all appreciated. Yeah, I need to increase the speed a little bit on the speed exercises. The weight is not the problem, I explode up pretty easily. I'm just being a little cautious on the descent. I'll work on speeding things up.

TMan
11-04-2002, 11:34 PM
NOTES

This starts the second week of my Westside routine and so far I'm liking it!

I've been watching "Full Metal Challenge" on TLC the past couple of weeks. If you get this channel and you like "Junkyard Wars" you gotta check out this show! It's an awesome show all around but the best part is Henry Rollins. He's one cool guy and well built too! I was cracking up when he was talking (or more appropriately, yelling) and my wife just rolled her eyes. :) His neck is also very thick and was an inspiration to me during my neck work today.

ME SQ/DL
Box Squats
135x1, 145x1, 155x1, 165x1 170x0
I got the 165 without too much trouble. My sticking point seems to be the first half of the lift. Once I get about halfway up, I can lock it out no problem. I tried for 170 but I couldn't even get out of the hole. Not surprised, 165 is my regular squat max.

Romanian Deadlifts
120x8, x8, x8, x8
Good sets here. Tough but not too tough. I took it a little easy because my lower back was a little sore today from non-lifting related stuff.

Weighted Crunches
10x15, x15, x15, x15

Pullups
1 set of 4 reps
I decided to try these and maybe add them to ME Sq/DL day. I've decided against it now. I've always sucked at pullups and they are not a favorite exercise of mine. I'm just going to stick to BB rows on Bench days for upper back work.

Neck Work
Neck Extension: 10x10, x10, x10
Neck Flexion: 7.5x10, x9, x8
I went a little heavier on these this time but I don't think I'll be going much heavier. I'm still a little nervous doing these, so I'm gonna take it slowly. But I gotta get me a Henry Rollins neck!!

Thanks for reading!

Saturday Fever
11-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Good work today. You'll improve your squat out of the hole by your speed work. Also remember that your hips should be the big move with wide squats. Push your hips back until you're on the box, push your hips forward to get off the box. And push out on your feet, not down, this will bring your hamstrings into play a bit more. Excellent lifting with the romanians.

TMan
11-05-2002, 09:39 AM
Thanks, SF. Yeah, I need to work on pushing my feet out. I keep reading that I need to do that then always forget when I squat. I've been concentrating on my hips lately getting the movements of them correctly. I'm too focused on going up that I forget to push out as well. I'm going to make a note in my journal about this so I can remember to work on this on speed days.

TMan
11-06-2002, 10:42 PM
NOTES

Pretty good workout tonight. Not bad but not great. I'm going to switch up the ME exercise next week but I'm not sure to what yet.

I'm going to order a power rack on Friday. I'm pretty excited about it. Here's the one I'll probably get: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92561.html I can't afford a real nice one but I think this is a pretty good bang for the buck. I've been using a self-built wood and metal rack. It's pretty reliable and well-built I must say but limited to what I can do with it. Pretty much just bench and squat.

ME BP Day
Wide Grip Bench Press
95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 145x6, 155x6
Good tough sets here. 155 went pretty easily until the last rep. I struggled right about in the middle of the ascent. Off the chest was no problem and lockout was no problem but the middle was tough and the bar wavered a little. Board presses might be a good choice for the next ME exercise so I can address this sticking point.

JM Presses
65x8, x8, 70x8
Decided to do 2 tricep exercises with 3 sets each. We'll see how this works out. Took these fairly easy because I haven't done this exercise in a while. This is a nice alternative to CGBP. I really like this exercise.

Skullcrushers
60x6, x6, x6
Weight went a little down but I expected that since I'm now doing them after another tricep exercise. Good sets here.

Side Laterals
16x10, x10, x10
Fairly easy which is a little surprising to me considering last week 3 sets of 8 was pretty tough.

Bent Over BB Row
145x10, x10, x8, x8
Again, tough sets here. I remembered to do 4 sets this time. I noticed my ROM was a little short (by about 2 inches) on the second set. I need to work on bringing the bar all the way up to my abs.

EZ Bar Curls
65x8, x8, x8
These were a little harder than expected. I cheated on the last rep of the last set pretty bad. I looked like a friggin curl jockey, LOL!

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
11-07-2002, 07:25 AM
I think that power rack looks great TMan. I want to invest in a home gym sometime soon actually. I am not sure yet. I would love to get a power rack, a supported row apparatus, and a few other things. Just really enjoy working out at home vs. in the gym.

TMan
11-07-2002, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I enjoy working out at home and it's a necessity now with a baby in the house. My wife would never let me leave to go workout in a gym after spending 10 hours at work and she's been home all day with the baby. But I can 'sneak out' to the garage and get a quick 45 minute workout.

The rack is nice and the cool thing is that you can buy attachments for it like a dip station and a pulldown attachment. I can't wait to get it.

ericg
11-07-2002, 08:21 AM
Thats cool TMan, nice Rack LOL.

Get the lil one doing BB (baby bottle) curls, SpIT ups (sure you will have little trouble with that), and some stroller presses.

On a serious note, hos do you do the skulls? with a DB, BB EZ bar? sittin, laying down? just curious...

Nice work!

TMan
11-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks, ericg! As soon as the tike is old enough to grasp things and keep holding on to them I'm going to make some little wooden DBs and BBs and paint them chrome, so I can take pictures of him 'working out'. LOL! Right now, I get him to hold my fingers and I'll pull him up trying to get him to do pulldowns. He's not getting it yet. I guess I should wait until he's 3 months old before he starts working out. ;)

I do the skulls with an EZ Curl bar lying on a bench. I bring the bar down to the forehead.

ericg
11-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Cool man, love the wooden DB idea.

TMan
11-08-2002, 10:26 PM
NOTES

Well, I called NewYorkBarbell to ask a question about the power rack I was going to order. Glad I called. Come to find out that the power rack I wanted (which was $249 plus free shipping) had been discontinued. They had another comparable power rack for $259 but with NO free shipping. I didn't even bother to ask what the shipping was. As I was on the phone with them I had their website up. No hint that the rack was discontinued. I looked at their site just a few minutes ago and, lo and behold, the rack is no longer listed. They really need to get their act together.

Ended up ordering the BodySolid rack at Fitness Factory. It was $279 (plus free shipping) but that's alright. It has saber pins which I prefer and I've heard nothing but good things about BodySolid racks.

SPEED SQ/DL

Speed Box Squats
110x2 (10 sets)
Good sets here. Still working on increasing the speed here. I'm good on the ascent but a little nervous about hitting the box on the descent.

Romanian Deadlifts
100x10, x10, x10, x10
Good sets here too. Not too tough.

Weighted Crunches
5x15, x15, x15, x15

BB Shrugs
165x8, x8, x8
These were fairly tough. Ended the last set with a static hold just for fun.

Thanks for reading!

MonStar
11-10-2002, 07:45 AM
Question TMan, about the power rack, can you give me the link? And what are saber pins? Sorry for the confusion.

Nice speed workout man, strength is looking good.

Saturday Fever
11-10-2002, 10:27 AM
Don't worry about hitting the box on your speed work so much. Definitely TRY to touch and go, but don't slow down at the expense of the box. I did the same thing and finally decided if I missed the box I missed the box, no big deal. Good lifting though.

TMan
11-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Monstar: Here's a link to the rack I bought: power rack (http://www.fitnessfactory.com/FitnessFactory31/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=287&secid=3&linkon=section&linkid=3) . I got it without the lat attachment. Saber pins are nice because they can hold the BB outside of the rack when you want to do exercises in front of the rack instead of in it. Othewise, you'd need to move the J hooks which is a minor annoyance.

SF: Thanks for the tip. I'll try to keep that in mind. I'm sure it'll just take a little bit of time then I'll get used to speed box squats and won't even have to think about it.

MonStar
11-10-2002, 02:26 PM
I am thinking about starting my investment for a home gym. Takes a LOT of money though when you think about it. Well, okay lets go over the essentials. First of all a power rack. Thats a necessity. Then a supported rowing apparatus. Then a standing calf machine. Then an adjustable incline/flat/decline bench. Etc. Plus another weight set. I have 250 lbs. of plates in my basement now, and I need 2 more of them. (700+ lbs. rack deadlift eventually ;);))

Comes damn near a grand.

TMan
11-10-2002, 10:46 PM
NOTES

I went to a PL meet yesterday, just as a spectator. It was a USPF meet. I only had time to spend a couple of hours there but it was pretty cool. I saw lots of benching. I saw one guy bench 466 lbs., that was pretty cool. They even had an 84 year old guy there competing and he did pretty good.

Not much to comment about on the workout today. No surprises, hitting the numbers I expected to hit.

SPEED BP DAY

Speed Bench Press
125x3 (10 sets)
Good quick sets here. My form was sloppy on a couple of sets as I tried to speed things up but buy the end I was going quick and with decent form.

JM Presses
70x8, x8, x8

Skullcrushers
55x8, x8, x8
Good triceps sets here, nothing suprising.

Front Raises
12x10, x10, x10
Fairly easy sets.

Bent Over BB Rows
125x10, x10, x10, x10
Good sets here. A little tough but not too tough.

EZ Bar Curls
60x10, x8, x8

Thanks for reading!

TMan
11-11-2002, 10:08 PM
NOTES

Good workout today. I changed the ME exercise to Good Mornings today. Also changed the lower back exercise to ham/glute raises. Man, those are a killer!

ME SQ/DL
Good Mornings
95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 140x3
Good sets here. I might have been able to do 145x3 but I didn't want to push it. 140 was pretty darn tough. I'll go for 145 next week.

Ham/Glute Raises
4 sets of 8 reps
First time I ever did these and, wow, they are a killer! Never has an exercise punished my hammies so much! They are alot tougher than they look too. I love them! This exercise will be a standard exercise in all my routines from now on!

Weighted Crunches
15x16, x16, x16, x16

Neck Work
Neck Extension: 10x12, x12, x12
Neck Flexion: 7.5x10, x10, x8

Thanks for reading!

TMan
11-13-2002, 10:30 PM
NOTES

Woohoo! My power rack came today! I spent an hour and a half building it. I'm very happy wth it. It's not the best one you can buy but it'll work out very nicely for me. I'm also pleased with Fitness Factory. I ordered the rack on Friday and called FF today asking when it would get here. The guy on the phone was very helpful and told it would take 3 - 5 business days to ship. It got here in 3 business days and that's with free shipping! Fitness Factory gets a big :thumbup: from me.

ME BP Day
Wide Grip Bench Press
95x6, 115x6, 135x6, 150x6, 160x6
Decided to do WGBP one more time since I'm liking it so much. I was a little surprised that I got all 6 reps for 160 and I probably could have squeezed out one more. Good sets here!

JM Presses
75x7, x5, x4
Wow, tough sets here! I need to be more consistent with how far I bring the bar down. A few inches makes a huge difference when doing these.

Skullcrushers
60x8, x8, x8
Good sets here. A little easier than expected but still tough overall.

Side Laterals
16x10, x10, x10
These seem a little tougher this week than last week.

Bent Over BB Row
145x10, x10, x10, x10

EZ Bar Curls
65x9, x8, x8
Tough! Cheated on the last rep of the last set again. I need to quit doing that.

Thanks for reading!

Saturday Fever
11-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Good day with the bench. Be sure to change your ME lift next time. 3 weeks is the arbitrary limit. Assistance work looks good. You're not failing on any of it, are you?

TMan
11-14-2002, 08:22 AM
Thanks, SF! Yeah, I'm going to switch the ME exercise to 2 board press because I think my sticking point is about 4 inches off the chest. I'm going about 1 - 2 reps short of failure on the assistance work except for the curls. I need to lower the reps on the curls, I'm cheating too much on them.

TMan
11-19-2002, 05:02 PM
Well, it's been a while since I've updated this. I've got another case of 'MonStar Syndrome'. I've been doing this Westside routine for 3 weeks and although I've enjoyed something just didn't seem quite right. Tough to point out exactly what but after speed SQ/DL day I knew something didn't feel right. After thinking about for a couple of days I decided to go ahead and test my maxes. Here's what I got:

Squat
160x1, 170x1
Old PR: 165

Bench
205x0, 200x0
Old PR: 200

Deadlift
215x1 225x1
Old PR: 210

Good gain on DL, okay gain on Squat, crap on BP. I just don't think Westside is for me at this time. My squat and DL form need some work and I miss doing DLs. They are my favorite exercise. I can't explain why my Bench, my strongest exercise, went down but it did. I don't like that. It may be due to not doing ME Bench often enough. My bench really responds well to 4-5 daty splits. I still think Westside is a great routine just not for PL beginners like myself. I don't regret trying it out. I learned some new exercises and learned alot about strength training. I'll definitely go back to Westside some day just not in the near future.

For now, I've decided to go back to something similar to what I did before going to Westside but incorporate some of the Westside stuff into it. I really think that explosive power and speed are important to strength training so I'll attempt to incorporate some of that into my new routine. Here's the new routine:

Squat Day
Squats 5x5
Speed Box Squats 8x2
Good Mornings 3x6-8
Glute/Ham Raises 3x8
Weighted Crunches 3x10-12

Bench Press Day
Bench Press 5x5
Speed Bench 8x3
Close Grip BP 3x6-8
DB Press 3x8-10
Side Laterals 3x10-12

Deadlift Day
Deadlift 4x4
Bent Over BB Rows 3x8-10
BB Shrugs 3x8-10
BB Curl 3x8-10
Hammer Curls 2x8-10
Grip Work

Squat and DL days are done 3 days in between each other (so I do one every 6 days) and bench will be every 4-5 days and not on the same day as SQ or DL. The schedule is a little confusing but it's what I did last time and it really seemed to work well for.

I'm not sure if doing maximum effort and speed work on the same day is a good idea but I won't know until I try. If it doesn't work I can always take it out or change my routine again. One of these days I will stick to a routine for longer than 4 weeks... just not today. It doesn't bother me much because I am learning alot about different routines and I'm having fun doing it. I also need to give a big thanks to Saturday Fever for helping me out during the Westside stuff. I hope I didn't let you down, man.

TMan
11-19-2002, 09:46 PM
Good workout tonight. It's nice to be doing deads again.

Deadifts
165x4, x4, x4, x4
Little easy, not bad. Form was sloppy on a couple of reps.

Bent Over BB Rows
150x8, x8, x8
Tough sets.

BB Shrugs
170x8, x8, x8
Last rep was a major struggle.

EZ Bar Curl
62.5x8, x8, x8
Lower the weight from last time so I wouldn't hit failure like I had been.

Hammer Curls
22.5x8, x8
Easy sets.

Wrist Roller
1 set of 3 reps
No need to list weight here since I'm using a homemade wrist roller and the number would be meaningless to everybody but me. 3 reps takes about a minute to complete.

Saturday Fever
11-19-2002, 10:27 PM
Do what feels best, that's for sure. I would recommend doing your speed work before ME work, though. take a look at LATMAn's journal for an idea how to handle it. Good luck with this.

TMan
12-03-2002, 08:50 AM
Oops, I kinda let this journal fall into oblivion. I've still been working out but just haven't gotten around to keeping up with the journal. I've also been playing around with my routine trying to find something that I'm happy with. I think I've got a good routine now. I've been doing it for about a week now. It's the second routine listed on this page (http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/manrodt4.htm) with only a few modifications. I'm really liking it because it's fairly low volume and I can work out more frequently as a result. The speed work is gone for now but I may incorporate it later on.

I've also decided to start cutting. I've been bulking for 2 months now and the belly is getting too big for me. Pants are starting to not fit and I'm too cheap and lazy to buy new ones. I'm gonna cut slowly and try to keep the strength gains going. I realize they'll slow down but if they ever stagnate then I'll up the cals a bit. Most of my cuts don't last long so we'll see how this works.

For the big 3 lifts I'm working my way to a Max test at the end of the year. I'll up the weight and lower the reps progressively through Dec.

TMan
12-03-2002, 10:36 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. Diet has been pretty good. Still room for improvement but I need to get used to eating clean again. I'm not much on supplements but I found a new protein powder that I think will be a standard in my diet. It's Optimum Nutrition's Protein Diet. Each serving has 35 grams of protein from 4 different sources, 5 grams of EFAs, and only 3 grams of carbs. I'm drinking one a day. The taste is okay, nothing great, but the price is pretty good.

Squats
135x5, x5
Tough sets here but still short of failure. Next week I go to 3 reps and higher weight.

Good Mornings
100x10, 105x8
Good sets here. Did a little more weight than I thought I could. That's always a good thing.

Front Squats
65x10, 70x10
Same case as GM's. Underestimated myself.

Ham/Glute Raises
4 sets of 8 reps

Weighted Crunches
15x15, x15, x15

MonStar
12-03-2002, 10:37 PM
Nice strength on the squats and GMs TMan, everything is looking good. Keep up the hard work.

TMan
12-04-2002, 09:15 AM
Thanks, MonStar! Same to you. I still lurk in your journal. Things are looking really good for you too. Keep breaking them PRs!

TMan
12-04-2002, 11:20 PM
NOTES

No notes today. It's late and I need to get to sleep!

Bench Press
172x5, x5

CGBP
120x10, x10

DB Press
42x8, x8

Skullcrushers
55x9, 50x10, x10, 52x10

Side Laterals
14x10, x10

TMan
12-06-2002, 10:08 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. I really fried my grip today! I had trouble writing in my journal near the end of my workout. It's very hard to read, I'm writing this journal entry partially from memory. LOL!

Deadlifts
195x3, x3
Good tough sets here but not incredibly difficult.

Bent Over BB Rows
160x8, x8, x8, 165x7
Wow! The 160's were easier than I thought they'd be! Sweet!

BB Shrugs
180x10, 185x7
Again, 180 was a little easier than I thought it'd be. Double sweet!

Hammer Curls
30x10, x10, x9, x8
I'm glad to be doing these. The BB Curls were getting a little old. I needed a change.

BB Static Grip
205 for 27 secs.
Ouch!

TMan
12-08-2002, 11:07 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. First squat workout in a while where my legs felt weak afterwards. Diet is still okay but could be better. My approach at this time is to just try to eat clean. When I eat clean I naturally tend to eat lower calories than maintenance. I'll give this a couple of weeks and if it's not working for me, I'll get more strict.

Squats
145x3, x3
Tough sets here but still short of failure. These were actually a little easier than I thought they'd be.

Good Mornings
115x8, x8
Very tough sets here.

Front Squats
80x8, 85x8
First set was fairly easy. Second set was harder. I'm not very crazy about this exercise but I think my quads are a weak point in my squat. I may give hack squats a try in the near future.

Ham/Glute Raises
4 sets of 6 reps
Ouch! These are tough! Very painful but a good kind of pain. I cannot think of a better ham exercise than this. Man, I can really feel it in the back of my legs.

Weighted Crunches
17.5x15, x12, x12

TMan
12-09-2002, 11:02 PM
NOTES

Great workout today! I really think this routine is working for me. My strength gains are good dispite my slightly below maintenance diet. I keep doing better than I predict on several exercises.

Bench Press
178x3, x3
Tough but short of failure.

Close Grip BP
125x10, 130x8
Wow, good strength here. My triceps were really kicking ass today! Next week I'll try this with the big wheels. Wow, never thought I'd be doing 135 lb. CGBP this soon!

DB Press
45x8, x8
Did a little better than expected. I really think my pecs are the weak point in my bench so this is a good thing.

Skullcrushers
55x10, x10, x10, x10
Did a lot better on this than last time. And this wasn't all that tough.

Side Laterals
14x12, x10

TMan
12-12-2002, 01:25 PM
NOTES

Decent workout. I need to get more sleep. 6 - 6.5 hours a night aren't cutting it. My "experiment" of trying to lose fat by just trying to eat clean and not pay attention to calories, macronutrient breakdown, etc. is not going so well. I've lost maybe one pound in the past two weeks. I should be eating cleaner but without any guidelines to follow I get lazy. If this keeps up I'll do an actual diet after Xmas. Maybe the NHE diet.

Deadlifts
215x3, 205x3
Not sure why I did 215. I guess I just wanted to see if I could do it and I did. It did make 205 feel alot easier.

Plate Deadlifts
165x3, x3
Did these standing on 35 lb plates. Wow, its amazing how an extra inch and a half can really change things! It seemed to take forever to get the weight from the floor to lockout. Still, I think I like these and may make them a permanent addition to DL day.

Bent Over BB Rows
135x8, 155x8, 165x8
I really didn't feel like doing these. I think I'm a little burned out on Bent Over Rows. I may switch to DB rows.

BB Shrugs
185x8, x6
Tough.

Hammer Curls
30x9, x9, x9, x9

BB Static Grip
215 for 25 secs.
Ouch!

Saturday Fever
12-12-2002, 01:26 PM
Do you do your deads sumo or conventional?

TMan
12-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Conventional. I tried Sumo for a couple of weeks but just thought that conv. 'felt' better. Sumos seemed to work the legs more and, given my crappy squat, I figured I could do better with conv. Maybe I'll try sumos again in the near future to see if it's any better now.

TMan
12-13-2002, 10:30 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. Once again I did a little better than expected. I really think my squat is on the verge of going up quickly much like my deadlift has lately. That sure would be nice.

Squats
155x3, 160x3
Wow, did better than I expected! I thought 155 would be a struggle but it wasn't. Even 160 didn't seem all that hard. Good for me.

Pause Squats
95x3, 100x3
Man, I love these. I pause for about 3 sec. at the bottom then explode out of the hole. Pause squats = ace!

Good Mornings
120x8, x8
Once again, did better than expected. I should have done 125.

Ham/Glute Raises
3 sets of 6 reps
Tough stuff here. That last rep was a bitch. Didn't think I was gonna make it.

Weighted Crunches
17.5x15, x15, x12

TMan
12-15-2002, 10:21 PM
NOTES

Good workout tonight. I decided to change things up a little bit with the exercises. I'm testing some stuff for a new routine I may try in a couple of weeks. It's not dramatically different than what I'm doing now but has a few changes.

Oh, and I've pretty much given up on my diet till after Christmas. I really blew it today. Tex-Mex is my biggest weakness. I'm just gonna to maintain at maintenance level for a while.

Bench Press
180x3, x3, x3
Tough but slightly short of failure. I don't think I could have done the same reps with 185.

2 Board Bench Press
180x3, x3
Last set was a struggle. I think my muscles were getting tired.

DB Press
60x3, x3
Not as hard as I thought they'd be. Actually, the hardest part was getting in/out of position to do the exercise.

Close Grip BP
135x5, x5, x5
Tougher than I thought they'd be. I guess all that pressing earlier wore out my tris pretty good.

Side Laterals
17.5x10, x10
Tough.

TMan
12-16-2002, 08:49 PM
NOTES

Well, I was considering changing my routine up a little bit but after testing my SQ and DL maxes tonight I may keep things the way they are. I shocked myself. I think my lower body is finally catching up to my upper body. I'm testing my BP max in two days and I'm a little worried I won't see much gain. But I'm happy with my squats and very happy with my deadlifts right now.

Squats
185x1, 195x1, 200x0
Old PR: 170
Oh yeah! I would have been happy with the 185 but it felt a little easy so I went for 195. The 195 also went up fairly easy so I tried for 200. I was too tired to get the 200 up. Had I started with the 200 I probably could have gotten it.

Deadlifts
255x1, 260x1
Old PR: 225
I was feeling cocky after the squats so I went straight to 255 (after a few warmups). It was a struggle but I felt I had a little left in me so I did 260 as well. After that I was exhausted and left it at that.

TMan
12-18-2002, 11:21 PM
NOTES

Well, I tested my bench press max today. I got the number is was hoping for. I must say this routine is working out well for me. In four weeks I've increased my total by 70 lbs. Not bad. I'll be keeping this up for a while. I'll be following a 'Coanish' periodization for the 3 lifts over the next 7-8 weeks. I'll need to resist the urge to test my maxes until I'm done with this. I followed my BP max test with my squat routine since it is squat day.

Bench Press
205x1, 210x1
Old PR: 200
205 went up with only a little struggle. 210 was a fight most of the way up but kept it under control and with good form the whole way. There was no way I was doing 215.

Squats
135x5, x5
Tough sets here but still short of failure. The last set was a little harder than I thought it'd be.

Good Mornings
120x8, x8
Tough sets here but nothing I couldn't handle.

Front Squats
95x8, 95x8
Bumped up the weight quite a bit here but still not bad. I still don't like these though. I'm gonna give hack squats a try next time.

Ham/Glute Raises
3 sets of 8 reps
Ouch! Supposed to do 4 sets but my hams were fried after the second set. This exercise is brutal!

Weighted Crunches
17.5x15, x15, x12

TMan
12-21-2002, 08:29 AM
NOTES

Decent workout last night. I've got a good case of DOMS in my chest today. I'm going to try to get a DL workout in this morning but with my wife trying to get the house ready for Christmas guests today I may be roped into helping her and not be able to sneak away to the garage. We'll see.

Bench Press
160x5, x5
Fairly easy sets here.

Close Grip BP
135x6, x6
Tough sets here. So gald I'm doing the big wheels on CGBP. I thought I'd never get here.

DB Press
47x8, x8
Tough sets but short of failure.

Skullcrushers
57x10, x10, x8, x8
Tough sets but short of failure.

Side Laterals
15x12, x10

TMan
12-26-2002, 10:52 AM
I took a 4 day break over Christmas. I pulled some back ligaments on Saturday doing deadlifts. I will never do more than triples on deadlifts every again. This is twice I've screwed up my back doing 5 rep DLs. Worked out last night doing some light squat work. My back is better but still not 100%.

I'll do bench tonight but I'll probably be changing my routine around next week. My current routine is great but I think it needs to be a short term routine. I started to feel a tad bit overtrained last week and the back injury was a wake up sign. Plus, there are a couple of interesting routines I want to try out. I'll probably start a new journal when I start the new routines.