PDA

View Full Version : Is all this meat bad for us?

Jilla82
10-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Just wondering

BennettBoy
10-01-2002, 05:46 PM
I don't know but I'm eating a steak right this moment and it is very good:D

I don't really see how it could be bad for us. Alot of folks were raised eating meat at every meal and had no problems. Are you considering chicken meat too?

TreeTrunks
10-01-2002, 06:02 PM
I just finshed eating some grilled ground beef. And it was good!!! 93% fat free of course.

Jilla, yes all this meat is bad for us!! Stop now or else your kidneys will implode! You'll have urea coming out your pupils.

Shao-LiN
10-01-2002, 06:31 PM
I've been eating a lot of meat for 20 out of my 22 years (happy birthday to me today, woohoo). I'm not dead yet =).

clint
10-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Humans are omnivores, so we are physiologically developed to eat animal flesh as part of our diet. Our teeth can tear and mash the flesh and our digestive system is capable of breaking it down further and utilize the nutrients. The amino acids we require to build cells can be obtained from animal flesh. So I don't think eating meat is bad.

But, you read about the chemicals, hormones, and medicines they inject into livestock and put in their feed and you worry about what the effects this may have on people who eat this stuff. My sister-in-law raises chickens for the family, so we're not concerned about the qualitity of that meat (too much;-). It would be nice to be able to purchase all our meat from similar sources knowing what they beasts were fed, but we don't. It's easier just to buy it from the local market and worry about other things in life. ;)

Jilla82
10-01-2002, 06:51 PM
^^^^^ yea, thats what im worried about. I have chickens too but we dont eat them. hmmmm, that might change, lol. I would go to Whole foods and get meat that is free from all that junk, but I cant afford it! i can barely afford eating the food i have now

TreeTrunks
10-01-2002, 07:46 PM
Chicken ain't cheap I eat about $13 of chicken a week and about $6 in beef a week.

Jilla82
10-01-2002, 07:53 PM
yea, I know. But I just bought some boneless pork chops for a good price. I got 9 for $6, I bought two pack of them

TreeTrunks
10-01-2002, 09:11 PM
watch the fat on pork chops. Thats why some meat is inexpensive, fat that is.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-02-2002, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by clint
Humans are omnivores, so we are physiologically developed to eat animal flesh as part of our diet. Our teeth can tear and mash the flesh and our digestive system is capable of breaking it down further and utilize the nutrients. The amino acids we require to build cells can be obtained from animal flesh. So I don't think eating meat is bad.

But, you read about the chemicals, hormones, and medicines they inject into livestock and put in their feed and you worry about what the effects this may have on people who eat this stuff. My sister-in-law raises chickens for the family, so we're not concerned about the qualitity of that meat (too much;-). It would be nice to be able to purchase all our meat from similar sources knowing what they beasts were fed, but we don't. It's easier just to buy it from the local market and worry about other things in life. ;)

:nod:

Jilla82
10-02-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
watch the fat on pork chops. Thats why some meat is inexpensive, fat that is. nahh, these are lean chops. They have the same nutrional (sp?) value as chicken breast. There great!!

Puttn
10-02-2002, 01:50 PM
lots of pork loins are very lean as well its amazing how lean it is and people avoid pork

Saint Patrick
10-02-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Puttn
lots of pork loins are very lean as well its amazing how lean it is and people avoid pork

I enjoy porking :D

Stray
10-02-2002, 03:15 PM
As to the question if humans were born omni, carni or herbavores is a debate alot of people will argue about..personally I don't care but all sides have good theories backing up there arguements....as of right now theres no solid way to know either way.

Maybe some input from our vegan BBers?

TreeTrunks
10-02-2002, 04:59 PM
You know they put inject Finaplix in cattle. Its nt just for humans anymore. Well it never was developed for humans. I want some of that beef, since I can't find any sellers here :(

nejar462
10-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Omnivore means the animal in question is capable of eating meat and veggies and digesting them properly, there is no question humans are omnivores because all normal humans can digest animals and vegetables. Whether they chose to ignore nature is their decision.

Jilla82
10-02-2002, 09:33 PM
if it is natural how come when people dont eat meat for a long time, and they do eat meat they get sick??

when the europeans came to africa they had to give the people these lollypop things with lard on it to get there systems up to eating pork.

GIS
10-02-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Jilla82
if it is natural how come when people dont eat meat for a long time, and they do eat meat they get sick??

when the europeans came to africa they had to give the people these lollypop things with lard on it to get there systems up to eating pork.

It's like that for humans with most foods.

Give some guy or gal from an African tribe who has never been exposed to anything western a big salad with olive oil and a bunch of fixin's and there's a good chance he/she'll get a little ill.

Give somebody in China a big glass of milk and they'll get sick. Granted the enzymes in milk and the fact that it's from an animal make that example a little skewed.

The way I look at it, George Burns lived to be over a 100 years old smoking cigars nearly all his life, and I'm sure he ate meat too. I have bigger things to worry about whether we were meant to eat meat. :) Bring on the beef...

Stray
10-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by nejar462
Omnivore means the animal in question is capable of eating meat and veggies and digesting them properly, there is no question humans are omnivores because all normal humans can digest animals and vegetables. Whether they chose to ignore nature is their decision.

Actually we can eat and digest dog sh*t too..doesn't mean we where meant to eat it. :)

nejar462
10-03-2002, 05:42 PM
you can't digest dog shiat, it has no nutritional value, it will pass through you

smalls
10-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Jilla, you are being sucked into all the extreme stuff your nutrition teacher is telling you.

The way most of us eat on this site, we have nothing to worry about in regards to meat. If you think otherwise please explain WHY eating meat(under 10 lbs a day) would be bad for you.

Jilla82
10-03-2002, 07:08 PM
nobody has told me anything. I was just wondering. but I do know a few people that are against eating alot of meat. Why? im not sure, I havent talked to them in awile

Stray
10-04-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by nejar462
you can't digest dog shiat, it has no nutritional value, it will pass through you

Thus having completed the digestion process.

I could have used the more popular reference that people use and said cardboard.

Besides, beer has no nutritional value but it doesn't mean it doesn't get digested.

Leviathan
10-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Red meat has a high iron content. Since men don't have a menstral cycle to protect them, we have no way of getting rid of this excess iron (except through injury or giving blood). A high iron content can have adverse affects on the circulatory system (i.e. the heart).

This is why most men's vitamins DO NOT include iron (although some bodybuilding vitamins do for some reason).