PDA

View Full Version : Content of diet?

furious
10-02-2002, 07:20 AM
I was wondering if it was possible to achieve some fat or water weight loss by maintaining roughly the same number of calories, yet raising the amount of protein your diet by decreasing carbs? Thanks for the insight.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-02-2002, 07:52 AM
Protein burns up about 30% of it's own calories in it's own digestion.

Carbs burn about 10-15 or so. There's a more precise figure in a previous thread somewhere, but it matters little, really.

Both calories and protein yield the same amount of calories per gram (actually, i learned the other day that protein yields 5.45kcals per gram, but due to the digestive efficiencies of us [mentioned above], it becomes 4kcals or so).

So if you replace 50g of carbs with 50g of protein, you're still getting the same 200kcals, give or take 20-60 or so maybe?

Let's go with 60kcals less.

So, theorectically, you're getting 60kcals less per day.

3500kcals per gram of fat.

It'll take you 58 days or so to lose 1lb. Over a year due to this one change you may lose about 6lbs. Marvellous eh?

But yeah, you may lose a bit of water or glycogen weight in the first week or two. After that though, the difference will be miniscule.

So, if you wanna drop 10lbs, it's gonna take you 14 months or so (theoretically).

Have fun :)

galileo
10-02-2002, 08:08 AM
*writes new diet plan*

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-02-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
(actually, i learned the other day that protein yields 5.45kcals per gram, but due to the digestive efficiencies of us [mentioned above], it becomes 4kcals or so).

So i was slightly out.

Here's the real numbers:

"Burning 1g of pure carbohydrate yields a heat of combustion of 4.20 kcal, 1g of pure protein releases 5.65 kcal, and 1g of pure lipid yields 9.45 kcal/g.

Considering average digestive efficiencies, the het kcal value per gram for carbohydrates equals 4.0, 9.0 for lipid and 4.0 for protein.

Taken from Katch, Katch, and McArdle, 2000."

That's a quote from 'Duncan' off another board.

Pup
10-02-2002, 08:20 AM
To coincide with what robboe said...its not like carbs are the enemy or something...if you are eating a macronutrient balanced diet...either eat at maintenance and do cardio or eat under maintenance...not real technical when you just do the math.

ElPietro
10-02-2002, 08:23 AM
Just wondering what impact fibre would have on this also? I know that using fitday, it subtracts fibre from the overall total carbs when factoring caloric intake. I'm guessing most people wouldn't do this if they are just writing it out on paper. So carb levels may be even less than you think.

Puttn
10-02-2002, 10:01 AM
an easy way to count carbs is to figure it with the diabetic formula 15 carbs = 1 point and fiber subtracts from the carbs so if you have 12 grams of carbs but 2 are fiber = 10 carbs therefore it would take 3 servings of this for 2 points... this is how i add my carbs a person needing 300 grams of carbs eats 20 points of carbs and i find it easier