PDA

View Full Version : to much tuna

dvatt24
10-02-2002, 09:33 AM
i heard that eating to much tuna can be bad bc of the mercury in it has anyone heard of this report ps i was eating about a can a day

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-02-2002, 09:47 AM
Canned tuna is usually from tuna farms where the mercury is not a problem.

If you eat wild tuna then you may wanna be a bit more concerned.

If i was a supp mod then maybe i could shift this thing over to diet since it isn't actually a supp question.

You hear me Cloughface?!

TreeTrunks
10-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Chicken said it. That and how many people have died from mercury poisionng from eating canned tuna?

Blood&Iron
10-02-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Canned tuna is usually from tuna farms where the mercury is not a problem.

You sure about this?

At least in the US, I've never heard of tuna farms. Salmon, yes. Tuna, no.

Even if it is 'farmed', it's questionable what this means exactly. This is from a WWF(World-Wildlife Federation--not the World Wrestling Federation) about farmed Bluefin tuna in the Mediterrenean:

Farmed tuna are captured from the wild by purse seine fleets and fattened in off-shore cages for 2-3 years in order to improve the oil content of the flesh to meet Japanese market standards.

Here's a post I made about a year ago on EliteFitness discussion board:

Consumer Reports recently tested tuna for methylmercury concentrations and found an average of .331 ppm for albacore, though you are right about skipjack, which is usually labelled as 'light tuna.' It averaged about .17ppm. These levels are actually low enough that the FDA has refrained from issuing any warning regarding the consumption of tuna, as they have for swordfish, shark, etc. If you eat three cans of albacore a day, you've reached the upper limit for consumption as defined by the FDA. Doing this day in and day out, as bodybuilders who tend to eat a very limited selection of foods do, is almost certainly a bad idea. But it's your health and your decision.

Blood&Iron
10-02-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Chicken said it. That and how many people have died from mercury poisionng from eating canned tuna?
How many people die immediately from inhaling asbestos?

galileo
10-02-2002, 10:22 AM
How many people die from falling off of rocking-horses?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-02-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

You sure about this?

Not positive no.

I just have an inkling that there's a tuna farm somewhere in the south of England.

TreeTrunks
10-02-2002, 10:33 AM
trillions of people have been eating tuna ever since it was canned. Since its been canned how many have died?

Stray
10-02-2002, 10:42 AM
You hear me Cloughface?!

Whats a cloughface?

Blood&Iron
10-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
trillions of people have been eating tuna ever since it was canned. Since its been canned how many have died?
Excessive mercury intake has, to the best of my knowledge, subtle, long-term effects. It would most likely not lead to death, but to degenerative neurological disorders.

raniali
10-02-2002, 10:57 AM
A friend of mine who majored in fisheries (who knew?) explained that mercury levels increase up the food chain. Therefore, eating fish that are major predators of other fish (tuna/swordfish/shark, for instance) will have higher Hg contents than say shad or sole.

http://www.mindfully.org/Food/Tuna-Cut-Back.htm
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/foodfacts/mercurye.shtml
http://www.altcorp.com/tunahgfda.htm

I could post a ton more links .... but the bottom line for most of them is that consuming too much tuna (and/or fish) is a problem for PREGNANT WOMEN and CHILDREN.

I eat a can of tuna/day ... even if I liked it more, I probably wouldn't make it the majority of my protein intake.

Stray
10-02-2002, 10:57 AM
The only neurological disorders worth getting are the degenerative kind anyways..

(i consume a buttload of tuna each day...tuna fear me.)

steveo
10-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Is it only me or does anyone else eat so much tuna that when you go to the bathroom you leave it smelling like tuna.:fart:

TreeTrunks
10-02-2002, 05:06 PM
osteve, i've had tuna farts. Talk about thread degeneration!