PDA

View Full Version : What to eat while in KetoDiet to get bowel working?

c_8nOM
06-16-2001, 06:12 PM
What to eat while in CKD to get bowel action going?...
What kind of food has no active carbs and have lots of fibres in them??

Brocco... veggies.. .. what else would be?

Spiderman
06-16-2001, 07:01 PM
Broccli, Green Beans, Cauliflower, Celery (watch out for that one. ;)) basicly veggies that aren't starchy.. or you could try some Metamusil....LOL. :D

Tryska
06-16-2001, 07:11 PM
salad greens, beans..that way you get protein and fiber...but i would go with red or green lettuce....it's easy to eat that in bulk.....romaine and frise too. cabbage....ummmm.....yeah.

Taras
06-17-2001, 06:57 PM
It's hard to get enough fiber with no carbs. I'd recommend sugar free Metamucil.

the doc
06-20-2001, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Taras
It's hard to get enough fiber with no carbs. I'd recommend sugar free Metamucil.

metamucil has 2 g of active carbs per serving! tuttut
:)
Try to by just some psillium husks or some wheat bran at a health store

Tryska
06-20-2001, 10:05 AM
Psyillium husks...what a good idea....

but then if your goung to a health food store for herbal laxatives there's also cascara sagrada (very strong) and senna...a little milder.

the doc
06-20-2001, 04:20 PM
fibre should be distinguished from laxitives which can empty the bowels via effects on the intestines themselves (ie stimulation/relaxation). Fibre like psillium and wheat bran give bulk and dilute constipative foods (like animal proteins protein) which allow the food to be efficiently passed.

Tryska
06-20-2001, 05:55 PM
but doesn't that still add carbs?

i mean i would rather use fiber before laxatives, but even with straight fiber, doesn't a certain amount ,no matter how nominal, of carbs come into play? are they even relevant?

the doc
06-21-2001, 10:15 AM
fibre is undigestable and therefore unaccessable to the body. Look at the nutrition label. Subtract fibre grams from total carb grams, that is the maximum your body could utilize from the food.

These are so-called "active carbs":)

veges like lettuce and broccoli have but 1 active carb/serv

Tryska
06-21-2001, 10:18 AM
k...i've never actually looked at the label for psyillum husks...or wheat bran for that matter.....

but then again, i've never been in a situ where i had to get right down to how many carbs i would need to be able to poop and still stay on my diet either:) but i was curious....

thanks for clearing it up for me.