PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Breast

chromium6
10-03-2002, 09:05 PM
WHen you guys buy CHICKEN BREAST's HOw do you store them do you pull out the amount your gonna use and freeze the rest. Do you cook a bulk amount and just Nuke it during the week?? I just want too know. or do you make many trips to the market during the week. Just want to know.

I bought a Huge pack of chicken breast. Put each one in a sandwich bag an froze them as induviuals. I left like 4 of them in the freezer for a month. cooked them and got sick!!! how long does Chkn Breast last in the freezer.

Frozenmoses
10-03-2002, 09:13 PM
I cook 4 at a time usually. I eat at least 2 a day, and have the option of consuming the other 2 in place of other meals, or I just stick the remaining 2 in the fridge for tomorrow.

Saint Patrick
10-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Frozenmoses
I cook 4 at a time usually. I eat at least 2 a day, and have the option of consuming the other 2 in place of other meals, or I just stick the remaining 2 in the fridge for tomorrow.

Same here, but not every single day. about 3-4x/week

Frozenmoses
10-03-2002, 09:39 PM
What can I say, I'm a chicken junkie.

:drooling:

bradley
10-04-2002, 03:14 AM
I buy 6lb bags of frozen skinless/boneless chicken at the store. The bag is resealable so I just pull out however many I want and defrost them and throw them on the grill. Frozen chicken will last a long time in the freezer. Did you leave the chicken breasts in the fridge very long before putting them into the freezer?

Puttn
10-04-2002, 06:20 AM
i would pop them into the freezer asap then they should last for quite some time

Mik
10-04-2002, 07:41 AM
I cook up 4-6 at a time and keep 'em in the fridge. I bring 1 0r 2 each day to work and sometimes have another in the evening.

Stray
10-04-2002, 08:41 AM
I buy a huge bag of them and split em up into those Glad Freezer Bags ..about 3-4 per bag and shove em all in the freezer...take a bag out the night before for thawing (in the fridge..never ever leave chicken on the counter to thaw)

Make sure they're not getting freezer burned or that will make you ill....get baggies made to go in the freezer or double/triple wrap the ones you use.

millertime
10-04-2002, 08:44 AM
Price club sells precooked 99% fat free chicken breast strips with nothing on them. Itís a purple 5lbs bag in the frozen food section. They take about 90 sec in the nuker to cook and taste great.

steveo
10-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Price Club?
There's no more Price Club it's Costco. (I work there)
That's where I buy my chicken as well, the big frozen bags and the strip taste great in a WW Tortilla with some salsa.

I also buy the huge bag and split them into smaller bag in daily servings and freeze them. I take a bag out and place it the freezed the night before and the next day I have my chicken for the day.

Puttn
10-07-2002, 11:30 AM
where does costco distribute to

Jane
10-07-2002, 06:08 PM
We don't have a costco. :(

Seriously, the price of bulk chicken breasts needs to be lowered. They charge an arm and a leg at the local supermarket.

steveo
10-08-2002, 12:06 AM
You either live near a Costco or a Sam's Club. But between you and me, Costco is way cooler. Costco is West coast based and Sam's is east coast based. But they you can find both on either side

Smitty
10-08-2002, 05:02 AM
In reply to the original post..

The important thing when freezing fresh meat is to put it into the freezer straight away. Then make sure it is defrosted thoroughly before cooking. Suppliers recommend eating meat within a month of freezing, I have left it much longer than this ~ 4 months... and never had a problem. Perhaps you were just unlucky and had some dodgy meat, or perhaps it wasn't defrosted thoroughly before cooking.

NateDogg
10-08-2002, 06:45 AM
I get 'em at Shaws when they are on sale (regular grocery store). $1.99 a lb, fresh. They come in 3-4.5 lb packs. I cook one pack at a time and microwave it when I eat it.

Bullrider Billy
10-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Jane
We don't have a costco. :(

Seriously, the price of bulk chicken breasts needs to be lowered. They charge an arm and a leg at the local supermarket.

The main reason they cost so much is the processing. If you were to buy a whole chicken and debone the breast yourself, it would be so much cheaper. However, we pay for the convenience of having already boned chicken breasts.

And as for the frozen bulk bags, those breasts are further processed. Oh yes, they are real chicken breast meat, and there's nothing nasty about them, but they are not 'whole' breasts. They are reformed from breast meat. So you have a lot of processing and packaging going on.

Spawn_X
10-08-2002, 11:08 AM
raise yer own chickens.

steveo
10-08-2002, 11:18 AM
The chiken in bulk is not proessed. It's Fosters Farm Chicken. It's real 100% chicken right off the bird. Buy and you will see it. You buy the chicken breast patties, well, that's just one huge chicken nugget. Costco buys chicken breast from Fosters Farm and they package it in Kirkland (Costco store brand) and sell it for less, because they have bought so much at it thatthey get a good price for it and the only make 4% profit of it.

Frozen Chicken breast in bulk = package 8 pk chikcken breast from VONS

Bullrider Billy
10-08-2002, 01:23 PM
The brand sold in supermarkets in my area is Tysons. Believe me, the breasts are formed.

bradley
10-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Bullrider Billy
The brand sold in supermarkets in my area is Tysons. Believe me, the breasts are formed.

Both of you are right. It just depends on which "style" of chicken you buy. I know Tyson puts out skinned and deboned 100% real chicken breasts, and they also put out some formed chicken breasts like the ones you get on a Subway grilled chicken sandwich.

http://www.tyson.com/chicken/products/default.asp?category=IFFChicken

Smitty
10-09-2002, 04:25 PM
you cant beat a couple of nicely formed breasts... Im off down Tysons :-)

chromium6
10-09-2002, 06:20 PM
I actually Just bought 2 6 lb Bags of Boneless Skinless for 9.00 a Piece. wuiet Juicy. I throw them on the forman grill and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMM There it is 40g of Protein.