PDA

View Full Version : CKD Question (Kato/Doc)

Yaz
06-17-2001, 10:56 AM
I got a buddy who has the same problem as I with cravings, and he's trying a CKD right now. But the thing is he says, is that during Monday and Tuesday, he has HUGE cravings for carb loaded foods.

Is this a normal thing, and to be expected with CKD?

kAto
06-17-2001, 05:52 PM
unfortunatly you do get huge cravings while trying to get into keto; what i do is start mid sunday, that way im carbing up for atleast half of sunday and the cravings are easier to tolerate after sunday carb up.

mondays suck though, just try to keep your mind off food and stay active.

Yaz
06-17-2001, 06:11 PM
Great. I can handle that. Better than huge cravings 7 days a week.

One last thing. At what rate did you reintroduce carbs (Or should you...) when coming OUT of the CKD?

kAto
06-18-2001, 06:34 AM
well usually after my last carb-up day, i gradually increase carbs as i decrease fat; the key here is not to make any big changes, or else youll end up gaining a little flab.

usually after week or two your metabolism should be how it used to be. remember that after strict dieting after you come off your are in an extreme anabolic state, so one could get away with less cars/cals during the first two weeks after CKD is completed.

Yaz
06-18-2001, 02:06 PM
Ok. Explain this. LMAO.

I ate normal carbs yesterday. Normal for me, is a lot. Today, I have eaten nothing as far as carbs go... and I feel great. Actually better than I usually do while eating carbohydrates. As it is, I've not had a craving at all yet.

I can gaze into the frosting of those fudge brownies made for father's day, and not be tempted. Weird. Maybe it's just mental, and I wanna lose these michelins that bad. Though my head has cleared up, and I haven't felt the urge to be so moody today. You and Doc probably had it right - My insulin was swinging like an ape from a tree. :D

Wizard
06-19-2001, 04:57 PM
By the way 5-HTP is the best carb supressant out there.

Yaz
06-19-2001, 09:42 PM
I think I'm more ravenous than even 5-HTP can handle.

the doc
06-20-2001, 04:11 PM
Why not tell you friend to load every three or four days during the last two meals of the day. Eat them as the last meals of the day. Next morning eat some eggs/broccoli smothered with flax oil. No cravings after that meal. mmmm

Yaz
06-20-2001, 04:29 PM
Will do that. I bet, you'll even lose a few pounds after that meal, praying to the porcelain God.

I've got some questions now that you're back. Sorry to be a bother.

1 - You ever tasted peanut oil?
2 - Diet Sodas. Will they affect getting INTO or remaining in ketosis at all? I would think not, but...

Wizard
06-21-2001, 05:26 AM
2.Diet sodas.. Look,some people had problems because citric acid kicked them out of ketosis.Personally I didn't have any problems.Better try it when you already have reached ketosis to see your body's response.

the doc
06-21-2001, 04:10 PM
alpha, how can citrate kick you out of ketosis? Since citrate is metabolized in the citric acid cycle and occurs after the oxidation of pyruvate (this is irreversible), gluconeogenesis from citrate is not possible. No?

I remember reading that citrate can be converted to phosphoenolpyruvate but this is an energeticly uphill process.

:)

Wizard
06-22-2001, 05:04 AM
I told you that I had not any problems with citric acid,but a few people had.But notice this one: the liver is the deciding factor in fat loss when in Ketosis.
Citric Acid(CA), in some, will shut down ketosis. CA mostly has to do with the "Krebes Cycle" which is a sequence of reactions in the living organism
in which oxidation of acetic acid or acetyl equivalent provides energy for storage in phosphate bonds (as in ATP) -- called also citric acid cycle,tricarboxylic acid cycle.
Anyway, this will cause much less fat loss.