PDA

View Full Version : Diet for Weight Training, Male 5' 10" 227 lb.

mightypudge
10-08-2002, 09:20 AM
I'm starting WBB Routine #1 this week, and it was pointed out to me that I might be eating too little. This is completely possible since I've been on Weight Watchers for three months.

I evelauated my diet and came up with a new plan. Basically, it's the Men's Health Belly-Off plan. I'm eating 6 small meals per day, 3 main meals and 3 snacks.

I'm shooting for between 2400-2800 calories, with roughly 150-180 g. of protein, 90-100 g. of fat, and 300 g. of carbs. On workout days, I'll add a protein supplement to that. And on mornings after workouts, I'll do a breakfast with more protein, like an omelet.

Does this sound like a nicely balanced diet for weight training?

Tanx!!

bradley
10-08-2002, 02:06 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=19

This article will provide you with some basic knowledge that will help you put a well-balanced diet together. Post your exact diet (p/c/f) and what times you are eating if you would like more feedback. The people on this board always seem more than willing to help.:thumbup:

mightypudge
10-08-2002, 06:37 PM
How's this for detail? (Calories, protein, fat, carbs)

Breakfast - Cereal & Nuts, Coffee: 520/14/28.5/56

Morning Snack - Mixed Nuts: 210/8/18/6

Lunch - Tuna and cheese sandwich, apple, OJ: 665/40/25/71

Afternoon Snack - Wheat crackers, low fat cottage cheese: 360/30/8/40

Dinner - Chicken breast (5 oz): 150/33/2/0, Salad & Dressing: 156/1/16/2, Broccoli: 55/5/1/8, Potato: 112/3/0/25, Apple: 90/0/1/21

Post Workout - Protein Shake w/ Flax Seed Oil: 350/40/14/5

Totals for day:
Calories: 2668
Protein: 174
Fat: 113.5
Carbs: 234

Does this sound like a decent diet for a 3-day per week trainer?

bradley
10-09-2002, 03:11 AM
Diet looks good to me. I would drop the flax oil post workout and add it somewhere else in your diet because fat slows down digestion and you want to get those nutrients to your muscles ASAP. Add some simple carbs postworkout. I would cut carbs from one of the other meals to accomplish this because your macro ratios look good. (26/38/35-p/f/c). If your weight loss tends to plateau you might cut more carbs and add in more fat, and/or add in some cardio. Good luck.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-09-2002, 04:59 AM
What type of cereal?

Have you actually tried this diet yet, and did it keep you feeling 'full'?

We don't want you to suffer cravings or you may break diet.

mightypudge
10-09-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by bradley
Diet looks good to me. I would drop the flax oil post workout and add it somewhere else in your diet because fat slows down digestion and you want to get those nutrients to your muscles ASAP. Add some simple carbs postworkout. I would cut carbs from one of the other meals to accomplish this because your macro ratios look good. (26/38/35-p/f/c). If your weight loss tends to plateau you might cut more carbs and add in more fat, and/or add in some cardio. Good luck.

Bradley,

So perhaps I should add the flax to something else during the day? Maybe a yogurt or cottage cheese? OK.

When you say, "Add simple carbs post workout," do you mean right away? I usually eat dinner an hour after my workout. Could I just add them to that meal?

I am going to cut some carbs at breakfast and add them later in the day.

Thanks!!!

mightypudge
10-09-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
What type of cereal?

Have you actually tried this diet yet, and did it keep you feeling 'full'?

We don't want you to suffer cravings or you may break diet.

Chicken Daddy,

The cereal is General Mills Oatmeal Crisp. Good stuff. What would you recommend?

I started this diet yesterday, and I felt like I was eating non-stop. I was plenty full. I have been on Weight Watchers, and this diet is more food than I have eaten in months. I am concerned I might start gaining weight back. I should probably increase my cardio workout.

I also want to see my doctor again to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks!!

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by mightypudge

Chicken Daddy,

The cereal is General Mills Oatmeal Crisp. Good stuff. What would you recommend?

I started this diet yesterday, and I felt like I was eating non-stop. I was plenty full. I have been on Weight Watchers, and this diet is more food than I have eaten in months. I am concerned I might start gaining weight back. I should probably increase my cardio workout.

I also want to see my doctor again to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks!!

Never heard of general mills, sorry.

What does weight watchers entail?

You may be paying for an unnecessary service.

Providing you manipulate your calories properly, you won't gain weight back. No need to increase cardio yet.

I'd ideally like to tweak your diet around a bit, but we'll see how it goes in the first week before any changes are made.

when did you last weigh in?

And when do you next plan to weigh in?

mightypudge
10-09-2002, 09:30 AM
Weight Watchers provides the "Points" system. Every food is given a points value, which is decided by calculating the food's calories, fat, and dietary fiber. They do the calculation for you because the formula is a secret. If we knew the formula, we wouldn't need them! :)

Truth is, the plan works. I started out at 275 in July, and I weighed in at 227 this past Monday, which is my weigh-in day.

Currently, my plan recommends I stick to between 26-31 points per day. You can accumulate extra points with exercise, and they get added to your daily total. But you can only bank 4 exercise points per day. Weight lifting for an hour is worth 8 points, but I can only bank four of them.

I agree, I might be paying for an unneccesary service, now that I am looking at counting calories for the purpose of successful bodybuilding. I should mention that the diet I am trying this week, listed above, puts me WAAAY over my points range.

My fear is that if I don't train and diet correctly, I will start gaining weight back. That's why I'm looking for help here.

My next weigh-in is Monday morning. This is my first week on WBB Routine # 1 AND the new diet. So this first weigh-in will be quite telling. I'll post my results here, as well as in my Online Journal. If you wouldn't mind providing me with some guidance through this initial period, I would be indebted to you. I also have some books on their way from Amazon.com so maybe I can learn the basics of bodybuilding. I still don't know about the whole Bulking/Cutting process. In fact, there is a lot I don't know. Hence, the books. :)

If I can do this diet thing properly, I can stop paying for Weight Watchers. I can't complain about them, though. They helped me get my life back.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Yeah, weight watcher's works for really fat people, but after a while you'll stagnate.

My mam and sister do a 'red-day, green'day' thing. It's so much bollocks you wouldn't believe it.

Some foods are "free" so you can eat as much of them as you like, which is just dumb. If they wanted, they could eat 4000kcals worth of a 'free' item and still stay within the constraints of the diet!

Ok, don't change anything just yet. Keep everything static and we'll see how things go.

The reason i don't wanna change just yet is cause what i have planned for you is slightly more bland and mundane (read: tasteless) food choices, which are superior for you to achieve your goal. There's no need to change just yet while you're still progressing on your current plan.

mightypudge
10-10-2002, 04:50 AM
Sounds good. I don't mind a little bland, for me all foods are AOK. I used to be a Chef, so I've learned to appreciate even the simple stuff. :)

So far three days on this new diet, and I feel great. I actually lost 1.5 lbs. (I checked this morning). Yesterday I came in under my 2,400 cals, which is not good. But my protein was good. I think I need more fat and carbs.

Today I will get my numbers up.

Thanks for the help Chicken Daddy. I'll check back with you again.

bradley
10-11-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by mightypudge

Bradley,

So perhaps I should add the flax to something else during the day? Maybe a yogurt or cottage cheese? OK.

When you say, "Add simple carbs post workout," do you mean right away? I usually eat dinner an hour after my workout. Could I just add them to that meal?

I am going to cut some carbs at breakfast and add them later in the day.

Thanks!!!

Yes, take in your simple carbs immediately after working out. Sounds like you are going about it fine. I recommend listening to The Chicken Daddy, he knows his stuff. Good luck and keep us posted.;)