PDA

View Full Version : Atkins Diet

daveuk
06-18-2001, 07:41 AM
Have been using this diet for around six weeks and have found it very good for my strenght, size and stammina. Has anyone used this diet for cutting up as I am just about to experiment for the first time?
If not, any suggestions?

Wizard
06-19-2001, 04:53 PM
Instead of what you said about increased stamina/strenght etc, I must inform you that you're probably the only one who can have increased stamina/strenght while being glycogen depleted.

the doc
06-20-2001, 04:14 PM
ketosis can give those feelings. Protein is converted to glucose which replenishes muscle glycogen to an extent.
I felt worst during depletion and then much better after ketosis was achieved.

Wizard
06-21-2001, 05:20 AM
You CAN'T reach the state of ketosis with high protein.I agree that if you eat a lot of protein you'll feel stronger,but while in ketosis,you can't have more strenght than you had before.

daveuk
06-21-2001, 05:30 AM
Since taking in higher levels of fat than normal and taking very limited carbs (20g per day), my body seems to be utilising the fat as its source of energy. According to Atkins, the body takes about a week to adapt to this, but after this time, energy levels should be equivalent to those achieved under a higher carb diet.

Spiderman
06-21-2001, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't recomend you use this diet for any extended period of time. On a short term (4-6 weeks, 8 weeks max) it may be good for losing bodyfat, but in the long run it can be unhealthy. tuttut Remember folks... Dr. Atkins is a QUACK! :D

Wizard
06-21-2001, 11:08 AM
Your performance in the gym will be screwed up.Whatever anaerobic exercise you perform,you perform it better when your glycogen stores are full.

big calvin
06-21-2001, 01:36 PM
spidey, why would the body need carbs to lose fat? wouldnt ketosis mean your burning fat?

doc, would someone who eats alot of protein take longer to get into ketosis or wouldnt ever get in ketosis?
say like 2 weeks even if the proteins high?

Blackalpha, u can gain strength on a keto diet, i gain fine on it when i do that, i also know some very good powerlifters whos totals well over 1800 who do atkins and have been doing it for over i think 9 months...

i think it really depend on someones genetics. if u have a hard time putting on weight(ecto) u need carbs so that your insulin levels are higher and u grow. but for in endo (like myself) i can gain on almost anything, i just dont lose weight on everything :D

the doc
06-21-2001, 03:54 PM
big calvin said,

doc, would someone who eats alot of protein take longer to get into ketosis or wouldnt ever get in ketosis?
say like 2 weeks even if the proteins high?

yes you would have a hard time achieving ketosis. Protein in excess stimulates insulin through gluconeogenesis, the production of glucose from protein.
The best way to determine this would be to get some ketostix to monitor yourself.

big calvin
06-21-2001, 04:19 PM
thanks doc. ... if i did low carbs(under 30g) and had like say 300-400g protein, about 100-130g fat , would that over time produce ketones? even if the carbs is under 30g? and if it doesnt does it really matter if someones in ketosis? like could they still lose weight on it?

thanks for answering. i just wanted a little more of a postive yeah or no... thanks again man.

big calvin
06-21-2001, 04:24 PM
ohh and daveuk, i have donw atkins in the past and have great results, just got off it and cheated....it works great cause well u can eat out , u know. like if your at a restaurant and everyone eats what ever they want all u have to order is a steak or ribs or pork chops or what ever, and its just a little harder to oder stuff like brown rice(some places dont have), chicken cooked with no oil(some places cook with oil), u know what i mean. almost all diets work, u just have to see whats better for u. and from what i see your doing and feeling great on it so keep up the good bro. even make me inspired :D

ohh and your right, after like the first week , all the cravings are controlable and u start feeling good. i just wanted to ask u if u eat veggies? i hate up so i ask to see if u say no what do u do for fiber....

daveuk
06-22-2001, 01:57 AM
big calvin, I do eat veggies, but the only way I can eat them is by stir frying them with spices, herbs and garlic or baking them with the same. Try it, it does make a difference. I Find I don't miss breads & pasta, but I occassionaly (couple of times a week) have a little rice or a small potatoe. If I do eat a normal high carb meal I feel bloated.

Paul Stagg
06-23-2001, 09:57 AM
You need carbs to burn fat??? Provide a source for that statement, please.

Pure Atkins (an SKD) is a bad idea if you want to lift. Performance WILL suffer, as you need muscle glycogen to lift. Once that glycogen is depleted, you need to either eat carbs or your liver has to convert protien.

I'd suggest a TKD or CKD. That way you get carbs for muscle glycogen, but get the good effects of ketosis as well.

Wizard
06-23-2001, 01:37 PM
Paul's right.I think Tkd (some liquid hi GI carbs after weight-training) is the best.And if you want to enhance fat loss,do cardio first thing in the morning (take an eca before) and weight training in the night.
Paul,I think that he said "you need carbs to burn fat" because such a diet lowers the production of T3.

Spiderman
06-24-2001, 02:57 PM
Thanks Blackalpha. ;)

breeze
06-24-2001, 03:05 PM
Using the Atkins diet for any length time is a bad idea. Most of the weight loss from this diet is due to water loss. This diet works temporarly because in the end it nothing more than your average calorie restricting diet.

crazy
01-12-2002, 10:01 AM
most of the weight lost is water weight is definally something i have to disagree with... maybe the 1st week, but i also was taking in 12-16 glases of water a day and consistantly lost 5lbs a week of fat while also getting stronger...

I felt a bit lazy the 1st week, but after that my energy was totally normal.. if anything i felt better...

and because of the higher protein i think this is helping me with muscle develelopment also...

Jane
01-12-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by crazy
i also was taking in 12-16 glases of water a day and consistantly lost 5lbs a week of fat while also getting stronger...

and because of the higher protein i think this is helping me with muscle develelopment also...

how sure are you that it is 5lb a week of fat?
how sure are you that you are getting stronger?
how sure are you that your muscle is growing?

<--- curious. :)

Wizard
01-13-2002, 03:24 AM
He's a wizard.

Btw,Atkins diet sucks :cool:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-13-2002, 05:47 AM
I wholeheartedly agree.

crazy
01-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Wizard

Btw,Atkins diet sucks :cool:

then dont use it.....

Pretty sure, lost a few pant sizes and i look slimmer...
it varies from week to week some weeks it 4lbs some its 5 some even 6, depends how much cardio i do and of course what i eat.

cause i can lift more weight :D

because i can see they are bigger

Wizard
01-13-2002, 08:32 AM
because I get high

Jane
01-13-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by crazy

then dont use it.....

Pretty sure, lost a few pant sizes and i look slimmer...
it varies from week to week some weeks it 4lbs some its 5 some even 6, depends how much cardio i do and of course what i eat.

***What about water and muscle? Are you getting your body fat checked or are you assuming slim=loss of fat

cause i can lift more weight :D

****What about nuerological adaptations vs. actual muscular strength. The same thing happens when beginners rapidly improve at the beginning, or perhaps you just weren't lifting 100% before.

because i can see they are bigger
***Are they really bigger, or have you lost fat that has allowed for greater definition, making you think they look bigger?

I'm not trying to put your progress down, I just think that proclaiming losses of 5 pounds of fat a week (which is nearly impossible) WHILE getting stronger/building muscle (which is very hard to do while losing fat) is a bit of a stretch if there is not a lot of solid proof. But if you're making progress of whatever kind, keep it up. :)

Wizard
01-13-2002, 08:34 AM
I agree with Jane.Maybe he's doing DNPAtkins..

crazy
01-13-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Wizard
because I get high

because your so not funny?

crazy
01-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Jane

I'm not trying to put your progress down, I just think that proclaiming losses of 5 pounds of fat a week (which is nearly impossible) WHILE getting stronger/building muscle (which is very hard to do while losing fat) is a bit of a stretch if there is not a lot of solid proof. But if you're making progress of whatever kind, keep it up. :)

I dont have all the awnsers for ya, but what i will do, is post some before and after pics , give me a month or two...

What other ways can i monitor myself to check for fat loss accurately and muscle growth etc... starting this week i am going to be keeping a log of what weights i am lifiting , and of course my bodyweight...

btw... thanks for you intelligent post compared to the other ----

Jane
01-13-2002, 06:38 PM
;) no prob. Whatever the heck you're doing, you're making more progress than I am, so flaming you would be hypocritical :)

Try calipers for body fat %

Wizard
01-14-2002, 03:03 AM
If you want to call me a --- send me a pm because personal insults will be edited/deleted here.Thanks pal.