PDA

View Full Version : Drinking coffee right before lifting??

Saint Patrick
10-08-2002, 06:41 PM
On my way to the gym I drink a triple espresso from starbucks. It gives me the energy I need. My question is, will this hurt my gains at all? I know it's a diuretic and all, but I stay plenty hydrated throughout the day. Will this inhibit muscle growth?

(chicken daddy if you're out there please deposit your $.02)

gopher
10-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Drinking coffee preworkout is fine. I do it all the time. As long as you are well hydrated, which you say you are, you will be fine. The energy rush from the caffeine will help you to lift heavier which is good for growth.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-09-2002, 04:43 AM
Well there's proof around somewhere that coffee makes you more insulin resistant for a few hours after consumption, so fat gain may be easier if you're in calorie surplus, but providing you're well hydrated and controlling calories properly then it's fine.

Kromax
10-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Coffee pre-workout = very essential.

Saint Patrick
10-09-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Well there's proof around somewhere that coffee makes you more insulin resistant for a few hours after consumption, so fat gain may be easier if you're in calorie surplus, but providing you're well hydrated and controlling calories properly then it's fine.

well I'm taking 4 scoops of Nlarge post workout, about 90 -100 mins after the coffee. will that increase my chances of gaining fat? I'm on a bulk currently.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Probably not, no, cause lifting in itself increases insulin sensitivty.

Too many calories make you fat though :)

BCC
10-09-2002, 05:00 PM
I think you'll be fine. I've been known to have a quadrupple espresso or two before a workout along with a beta-blast and some random pills.

Saint Patrick
10-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Thanks BCC and TCD

bradley
10-10-2002, 03:12 AM
I think I read an article on the tmag site about this. Might want to do a search over there if interested in further reading.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-10-2002, 06:08 AM
Yeah, the one saying coffee was bad, one week before biotest removed their caffiene thermo.

bradley
10-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Yeah, the one saying coffee was bad, one week before biotest removed their caffiene thermo.

good point

Meat_Head
10-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Caffeine is almost useless to weighlifters, sprinters, or anyone who uses short bursts of energy for training. Caffeine is best used for continuous, long training.

All in all, you don't need it. Weightlifting itself will wake you up fast enough if that's your problem. Drink a sports drink or eat something before your workout. Unless you do alot of endurence training, there's no point in possibly building an addiction to caffeine that will make its effect even more useless.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-13-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx
Caffeine is almost useless to weighlifters, sprinters, or anyone who uses short bursts of energy for training. Caffeine is best used for continuous, long training.

All in all, you don't need it. Weightlifting itself will wake you up fast enough if that's your problem. Drink a sports drink or eat something before your workout. Unless you do alot of endurence training, there's no point in possibly building an addiction to caffeine that will make its effect even more useless.

Albeit, caffiene is a fat mobiliser (which incidentally, is responsible for its increased isulin resistance effects) and with fat being more preferable for aerboic activity, there may be potential for what you say. But caf also stimulate catecholamine release and can nudge up SNS output a bit and make a lifter more focused. So it can perk you up for a good lifting session.

But you're right, you don't need it. But real life evidence (see above) shows that people can benefit from it.

TurboStu
10-13-2002, 06:53 PM
Coffee=Good, Latte/Expresso=bad. There are very few to no calories in coffee. When you start getting the drinks, you add tons of cals and sugars in the syrups and milk and whip cream they cram into them. there is a difference, jsut be carefull. I always have coffee (wakes me up and gets me ready to lift)

_-_v_-_
10-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Pure espresso is fine.

Saint Patrick
10-14-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx

No man you don't understand. I lift in the evening like 6 or 7pm, and I get home from work at like 4:30pm. and eat something. On my off days I usually take a nap around 6 or 7 and sleep until 8 or 9pm. I NEED something to wake me up before I go lifting. I'm drinking straight espresso w/ no milk or sugars.