PDA

View Full Version : Question on beans, rice and preworkout meal

jds22
10-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Hello all, I have a few questions for everybody. First would be about canned beans. I was looking at some different ones such as Bush's baked or Bush's chili beans. The baked has brown sugar in it so I think that might be a no-no but what about others? I am thinking of just warming some up and throwing in some chicken. Seem like a good source of carbs and protein. Any thoughts?

Next question is about rice. Everybody says eat brown but is it that much different than white? If so, is brown instant rice as bad as white instant rice?

Last is a pre-workout meal. I'll be lifting right when I get up, about 5am. I do mean right when I get up too. I stumble into the kitchen, start the coffee pot, get dressed and stumble down to the basement, coffee in hand. It sucks, but it is the only way I can consistantly work out. Anyways I am getting ready to do a bulk and think I should have something before I lift especially since I have just crawled out of bed. Any ideas for something quick?

Thanks again,
Jerry

hemants
10-09-2002, 10:42 AM
the difference between brown rice and white long grain rice is not that big, either is fine.

avoid things like parboiled rice and minute rice as they are much higher glycemic

for beans I'd buy a can of plain beans in salt water and spice em up yourself, that way u know exactly what you're getting - but toss out the salty water and drain them well

IceRgrrl
10-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Bush's beans are really sweet...lots of sugar. Like Hemants said, you might want to try a can of plain old chili beans or fat-free (i.e. no lard added) refried beans with your rice.

Rice and beans together make a complete protein + carbs and it's good fiber as well as yummy! :)

LAM
10-12-2002, 10:21 PM
rice and beans is a great and easy meal...