PDA

View Full Version : Why am I not gaining?

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 10:41 AM
Seriously, 3 weeks ago I upped my calories to close to 3800 a day and yet the scales are still not saying I'm really gaining. Oh I've gained like 3 pounds (from 185 lbs. to 188 lbs.), but I have added bodyfat for sure, my pants are tigher, shirts seem tighter, etc. But the damn scales don't go up:confused: I hate to add bodyfat to my physique if I'm not adding pounds (at least according to the scales). My abs are nowhere near what they were 3 weeks ago....they have way more fat around them....but only 3 sorry pounds???

I'm pissed. :bang: :help:

Maki Riddington
10-10-2002, 10:43 AM
This is my theory, I'll keep it short and sweet.

Your body grows in spurts, the same applies for putting on muscle. You can't force growth. That's all I'll say.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
What's your diet breakdowns right now, and what calories did you increase (i.e. from what macros and by how much)?

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 10:47 AM
Maki, you are probably right. You got any articles floating around to give more insight into your theory? I'd love to read them.

Meanwhile, I'm pissed I'm not adding more like 2 pounds a week rather than 1....but I'm enjoying all this food:D All of it but the tuna anyway.....YUK!

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 10:54 AM
TCD, unfortunately I absolutely didn't keep up with my macros before, but I decided to go with 20 x bodyweight to try to do a "clean" bulk for 4 months through Jan. 2003. Well, I went with 40/40/20 breakdown. I was right on the money with my breakdown but made about 3 changes which I haven't recalculated back into my diet yet. But still, I think I'm very close to 40/40/20 with around 3800 calories. I eat very close to this diet below for 5 days out of 7 anyway.

Meal 1
MRP
1 cup cooked oatmeal
2 TBSP natty peanut butter

Meal 2
3 scrambled eggs
5 slices turkey deli meat
2 slices whole wheat bread

Meal 3
5 oz. grilled chicken breast
1 cup brown rice
1 cup peas, green beans or broccoli

Meal 4
1 can tuna
1 apple
2 slices whole wheat bread

Meal 5 (Post workout)
40 grams whey
75 grams simple carbs
1 banana

Meal 6
8 oz. steak
1 baked potato w/ pat butter
1 cup green beans or peas

Meal 7
1 cup cottage cheese
6 egg whites
2 TBSP peanut butter (or flax seed oil)

I believe I increased my calories at least 500 a day as I never ate this much food for the 3 years I lifted. Previously I chose to just gain slowly with little bodyfat being added. I went from 156 to 185 over a 3 year period. I've never bulked. This is my first attempt. I don't seem to be adding weight as quick as many so maybe something is wrong?

:scratch:

No cardio either at this point.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-10-2002, 11:04 AM
You shouldn't have just jumped into x20kcals/lb.

It seems a bit excessive to me, and is probably the reason you're abs aren't how you liked them before.

I still think a better idea would be to go for 0.5lb a week. Adding 2lbs or so would result in just too much fat gain for my liking. Trust me, i've done it in the past (~30lbs in 15 weeks, the first two weeks adding water/glycogen though) and i regret it. It makes dieting down more of a pain. better to do it progressively in the way that when you bulk (i prefer 'gain', since 'bulk' indicates unnecessary fat gain) you add maximum muscle and minimal fat and so when you cut you lose maximum fat and minimal muscle so theoretically, you get progressively bigger and progressively leaner (to a certain point, obviously).

3lbs in 3 weeks sounds right on the money to me. I'd personally be happy with 1.5lbs gained in 3 weeks, providing it was muscle with close to zero fat gain.

You're eating plenty of carbs (and sodium by the look of it), so are you sure you're not just retaining water under the skin and it's not actual fat gain?

When you upped your calories 3 weeks ago, what did you increase?

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Call me crazy, but I never understood how to tell if I was holding water? How can I tell that? I drink 2+ gallons of water every day. Things I added to my diet that I didn't have before were:

oatmeal
brown rice
baked potato
4 slices WW bread
flax and natty PB

A typical day for me before looked more like this:

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by BennettBoy
Call me crazy, but I never understood how to tell if I was holding water? How can I tell that? I drink 2+ gallons of water every day. Things I added to my diet that I didn't have before were:

oatmeal
brown rice
baked potato
4 slices WW bread
flax and natty PB

A typical day for me before looked more like this:

Sorry, hit the wrong button LOL. It looked like this more:

Meal 1 @ 6:30 a.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP, 1 banana, 6 oz. skim milk
Meal 2 @ 8:30 a.m.: bagel, sausage patty
Meal 3 @ 11:00 a.m.: chicken salad, 2 pcs. wheat bread
Meal 4 @ 12:45 p.m.: 40 grams whey, 6 grams AST HST creatine
Meal 5 @ 2:15 p.m.: MuscleTech Protein Bar
Meal 6 @ 4:30 p.m.: 1 can tuna
Meal 7 @ 7:15 p.m.: Optimum Choc. MRP, 1 banana, 1 TBSP natty PB, 6 oz. skim milk
Meal 8 @ 9:30 p.m.: 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese

Anyway, I didn't eat as many complex low GI carbs as I'm trying to eat now. Well, what is done is done.....what do you suggest I do moving forward for the rest of Oct., Nov. Dec and Jan. I want to get close to 200 lbs. with as little bodyfat as possible.

Here is my fear: I want to compete next June and I just don't want to have to cut down to 165 to be ready. I've worked my ass off for 3 years to get where I am and don't want to have to lose it all just to be contest ready. I thought if I could get towards 200 and not be too fat maybe I could come in to the show around 175. Then I could just put back on 10-15 pounds and be about where I like to be year round.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-10-2002, 11:22 AM
Yeah, looks like you've added more carbs overall, so i bet a bit of what you've got is just water.

However, you may wanna cut back on cals just a tad if you think you are gaining too much fat.

Like i said, 3lbs in 3 weeks is good progress IMO.

BennettBoy
10-10-2002, 11:27 AM
Alright, I'll just keep plugging on:) If I just gain 1 pound a week that will be more than enough to meet my goal. I just was freakin' out because it seems my bodyfat is going up more than I aniticipated. I wished I understood how you guys know when you are holding water? I don't have a clue how to tell that.

Reinier
10-10-2002, 12:10 PM
well you dont really know.
but when you start eating more carbs usually youll hold more water.
drinking more water will reduce the amount of water you hold as i bet you know

Ti1301
10-11-2002, 03:21 AM
My bet goes to retaining water.

Jane
10-11-2002, 03:53 AM
Yes, you'd be surprised at how retaining water or manipulating carb levels can change your physique overnight. Just remember it's completely temporary and keep plugging away. :)

I'm with TCD...clean bulk is the best way to go. Quick, nastystyle bulk is just a habit-ruining, uneccesary fat-packing, bad way to go. For most people anyway...hardgainers tend to need a significant jump in calories to spurt growth, and many languish for years wondering why they're not gaining when all they need to do is eat more. Some of them say "oh I tried eating a lot and my sixpack just disappeared overnight." They get scared of the temporary changes and run back to their old diets, where they'll likely remain for years.

Holto
10-11-2002, 07:11 AM
when I'm holding water I look and feel fatter...

but like you said drinking tons of water is the best solution to that

BennettBoy
10-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Thanks folks. I weighed yesterday and I was at 189 on the scales I always weigh on. I was told they are like 2 pounds heavy though so that sucks. But at least I know I'm gaining about 1 lb. a week and it seems like that is what I should be aiming for to keep bodyfat down. I'm just going to stick with this diet and see if I can keep gaining. I'd love to be at 200 come Jan. 31, 2002. We'll see.

GIS
10-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
This is my theory, I'll keep it short and sweet.

Your body grows in spurts, the same applies for putting on muscle. You can't force growth. That's all I'll say.

I certainly agree with your theory, and it goes not only with mass but strength as well.

My brother who is 33 and I are very similar in terms of how our bodies react to lifting. When he was 21 he could barely muster 205 on bench and his body just wasn't growing. At around 28 or so, despite not change much in his routines, his body just exploded in size and now he's a burley dude.

As for me, I hit a plateu at the high 170's and have had trouble shaking it. Hopefully this new change in my routine setup will help though.

Manveet
10-11-2002, 09:49 PM

:nod:

My body grows in spurts.

AJ_11
10-13-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm with TCD...clean bulk is the best way to go. Quick, nastystyle bulk is just a habit-ruining, uneccesary fat-packing, bad way to go. For most people anyway...hardgainers tend to need a significant jump in calories to spurt growth, and many languish for years wondering why they're not gaining when all they need to do is eat more. Some of them say "oh I tried eating a lot and my sixpack just disappeared overnight." They get scared of the temporary changes and run back to their old diets, where they'll likely remain for years.

:cool: Very intersting thread. I am also in the same shoes as BennettBoy. Can anyone suggest a "Clean Bulk" diet

My stats are similar to BennettBoy -- I want to get up to 200llbs at about 10%

TIA. :help: