PDA

View Full Version : The shake I've been using to gain mass



Meat_Head
10-10-2002, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure of the exact amounts of everything, but its something like this:
Scoop of protein powder, roughly 25 grams of protein
2-3 whole eggs
A little bit of cottage cheese
Alot of whole milk
2 ZMA tablets
Vit. C tablet
Multivitamin

And I take EFA tablets with the mix. I eat it in the morning and before I go to bed. Wutcha think?

TreeTrunks
10-10-2002, 10:17 PM
more carbs and i'd say that's be a sweet ass mass shake. Maybe some creatine and glutamine if you want, not really that important. You covered the important stuff, protein, fat, cholestrol, vitamin c, and cottage cheese for night time. I would definatly eat a bunch of cottage cheese right before bed, its got casein (slow digesting protein).

restless
10-11-2002, 02:50 AM
I use a bulking shake that consists off:

40 gr casein
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon cod liver oil

I split this in two and get around an extra 1000 kcals a day.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-11-2002, 04:22 AM
No offense here guys, but why do people usually assume that making something a 'shake' can aid in mass gaining?

Why not just eat the eggs and then the cottage cheese and then drink the milk with the protein?

prof
10-11-2002, 06:54 AM
dont drink raw eggs, more likely to loose weight thru food poisoning, than gain anything

Avatar
10-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
No offense here guys, but why do people usually assume that making something a 'shake' can aid in mass gaining?

Why not just eat the eggs and then the cottage cheese and then drink the milk with the protein?

because people wanna be like merlin the magician making magic potions.

gino
10-11-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
No offense here guys, but why do people usually assume that making something a 'shake' can aid in mass gaining?

Why not just eat the eggs and then the cottage cheese and then drink the milk with the protein?

Isn't it easier making a shake out of it? You don't have to cook the eggs, and dirty another glass, plate, and fork.

Alex.V
10-11-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by restless
I use a bulking shake that consists off:

40 gr casein
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon cod liver oil

I split this in two and get around an extra 1000 kcals a day.

That's almost pure oil. Yeah, some oil is good, but honestly a shake like that, unless you're on a keto, probably won't do you as much good as a shake with more protein and carbs.

restless
10-11-2002, 12:04 PM
I disagree. I'm not taking any high GI carbs any time other than pre post workout. Fats are good. A 30% of total calories fat intake will improve the amount of male hormones in your system. I do agree i could use a bit more protein with that though.

LAM
10-11-2002, 12:46 PM
all of the proteins are not made available in eggs (primarily the white) until the protein avidin has been deactivated by heating...

if you constantly eat raw eggs you will create a Biotin defeciency for yourself...

restless
10-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by LAM
all of the proteins are not made available in eggs (primarily the white) until the protein avidin has been deactivated by heating...

if you constantly eat raw eggs you will create a Biotin defeciency for yourself...

This is true, you're wasting half of the protein in the white if you eat them raw. The yolk on the other hand can be eaten uncooked with no problems. If i remember correctly the chances of getting salmonela poisoning are 1 in 20 000.

bradley
10-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by restless


This is true, you're wasting half of the protein in the white if you eat them raw. The yolk on the other hand can be eaten uncooked with no problems. If i remember correctly the chances of getting salmonela poisoning are 1 in 20 000.

After reading YatesNightBlade's comments about his salmonella experience those odds are still to high. I will continue to cook my eggs.

Meat_Head
10-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
No offense here guys, but why do people usually assume that making something a 'shake' can aid in mass gaining?

Why not just eat the eggs and then the cottage cheese and then drink the milk with the protein?

Just seems like its alot simpler to throw it all in a blender and then drink it as a liquid. Alot less chewing and time wasted, and the food liquidized might be slightly easier to digest.

***

I always throw the eggs in raw. Should I cook them in some way before or would it really make much of a difference?

Meat_Head
10-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Oh and about carbs, I usually drink a glass of orange juice and another multivitamin before the shake.

Gyno Rhino
10-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Why are you using coconut oil?

gino
10-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by restless
I disagree. I'm not taking any high GI carbs any time other than pre post workout. Fats are good. A 30% of total calories fat intake will improve the amount of male hormones in your system. I do agree i could use a bit more protein with that though.

We're talking about bulking here, not high vs low GI carbs. Bulking diets are more effective if you provide your body with a steady flow of carbs throughout the day - that shake probably contains no more than 3g of carbs...perfect for cutting.

bradley
10-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by xMeat_Headx



I always throw the eggs in raw. Should I cook them in some way before or would it really make much of a difference?

Read LAM's post above.

restless
10-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by gino


We're talking about bulking here, not high vs low GI carbs. Bulking diets are more effective if you provide your body with a steady flow of carbs throughout the day - that shake probably contains no more than 3g of carbs...perfect for cutting.

Ok, but my concern is about health. I gain a lot of muscle on 40% fat (50% mono, 25%poly.25% sat), 35% carbs and 25% pro and i feel like **** on a high carb diet. You need calories to grow, you can argue that you need a lot of carbs but a regular person only holds about 400 gr or so of glycogen in their whole body, a bodybuilder will probably hold more but i don't think there's any point in having more than the 400 gr i have a day. My diet has been working wonders so why would i change it? I gained around 35 pounds in one year, 8 or so were fat, the rest muscle.

restless
10-11-2002, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Gyno Rhino
Why are you using coconut oil?

You can find in here:

Article on coconut oil. (http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/28/coconut_health.htm)

gettinjackT
10-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Is all olive oil extra virgin? Or are some sluts? lol, no jk.....
But, seriously, is there a difference between olive oils??

restless
10-12-2002, 03:48 AM
Yes there is. Extra virgin is the first extraction from the olives and has the most antioxidants as it's less processed. Beware also of plastic containers (same goes for fish oils) as plastic is not completely impermeable to air and this will result in oxidation of the fatty acids rendering the thing pretty useless.