PDA

View Full Version : On ketosis?

beastin v6
10-11-2002, 02:01 PM
i was reading around...anyhow, is their a way to know if one is on ketosis?..

Silverback
10-11-2002, 02:11 PM
yeah you can but ketostix from the chemists, i think you pee on them and they will turn a certain colour to show that you are in the desired state.

raniali
10-11-2002, 02:19 PM
but the ketostix are not always accurate. the longer you follow keto-type dieting, the more efficient your body becomes at converting just the right amount of fat and there will not be much excess ketones in your urine. for some people, they get a metallic taste in their mouth or a metallic/foul-smelling urine (this is how I always knew).

Allie
10-11-2002, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Keto sticks should be available OTC at any pharmacy. They will most likely be near the diabetic supplies, I think I got mine at Rite Aid for about $9.00. You dip them in urine and they will change colors, different shades represent the different amounts of ketones in your urine.

Saint Patrick
10-12-2002, 09:15 AM
:offtopic: Nice avatar Allie.

Silverback
10-12-2002, 09:20 AM
lol, i agree

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by raniali
but the ketostix are not always accurate. the longer you follow keto-type dieting, the more efficient your body becomes at converting just the right amount of fat and there will not be much excess ketones in your urine. for some people, they get a metallic taste in their mouth or a metallic/foul-smelling urine (this is how I always knew).

lol. One thing i find really funny is that there's actually a study available dictating whether this is a reliable method (it is).

Jesus, you'd think they'd have something better to do.

hehe, just incase you think I'm lying:

Breath acetone is a reliable indicator of ketosis in adults consuming ketogenic meals1,2,3
Kathy Musa-Veloso, Sergei S Likhodii and Stephen C Cunnane
1 From the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Canada.

Background: Ketogenic diets are used therapeutically to treat intractable seizures. Clinically, it appears that the maintenance of ketosis is crucial to the efficacy of the diet in ameliorating seizures. To understand how ketosis and seizure protection are related, a reliable, noninvasive measure of ketosis that can be performed frequently with minimal discomfort is needed.

Objective: The objective was to determine which index, breath acetone or urinary acetoacetate, is more strongly related to the plasma ketones acetoacetate and -hydroxybutyrate.

Design: After fasting overnight for 12 h, 12 healthy adults consumed 4 ketogenic meals over 12 h. Blood, breath, and urine samples were collected hourly. Blood was analyzed for plasma acetoacetate and -hydroxybutyrate, breath for acetone, and urine for acetoacetate.

Results: By the end of the 12-h dietary treatment, plasma acetoacetate, plasma -hydroxybutyrate, and breath acetone had increased 3.5-fold, whereas urinary acetoacetate increased 13-fold when measured enzymatically and 25-fold when measured with urinary ketone dipsticks. Plasma acetoacetate was best predicted by breath acetone (R2 = 0.70, P < 0.0001). Plasma -hydroxybutyrate was equally predicted by breath acetone and urinary acetoacetate (R2 = 0.54, P = 0.0040).

Conclusions: Breath acetone is as good a predictor of ketosis as is urinary acetoacetate. Breath acetone analysis is noninvasive and can be performed frequently with minimal discomfort to patients. As an indicator of ketosis in epilepsy patients consuming a ketogenic diet, breath acetone may be useful for understanding the mechanism of the diet, elucidating the importance of ketosis in seizure protection, and ultimately, enhancing the efficacy of the diet by improving patient monitoring.

Spawn_X
10-12-2002, 09:32 AM
what's keto?

raniali
10-12-2002, 02:40 PM
TCD - do you know which of the chemicals is responsible for the smell? I don't *think* its the same one that ketostix tests for (but I could easily be wrong).

btw - another indicator of achieving ketosis .... after several weeks of keto dieting, you will just KNOW it: increased energy to the point of sleeping less is one more noticeable affect.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-12-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by raniali
TCD - do you know which of the chemicals is responsible for the smell? I don't *think* its the same one that ketostix tests for (but I could easily be wrong).

Well ketones bodies are acetoacetic acid and beta-hydroxybutyric acid. (just had to look that up cause i forgot. I doubt i could even spell them properly even if i remembered them).

Partially burn acetoacetic acid and you're left with acetone, which is what the studiy tested for as a good indicator of achieving ketosis, which is responsible for keto-breath.

beastin v6
10-13-2002, 12:50 PM
aigh cool