PDA

View Full Version : Westside Question??

Humble Student
10-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Guys, I've been off my training program for a while cuz of exams and stuff, so I stopped my Westside lifting after just 2 weeks. Now before i begin again, I've been doing some reading of my own. But I think i may have some misconceptions still...

A) Can you do Westside while cutting and still make the huge strength gains? I know muscle mass won't increase, I'm talking about just strength.

B) Are the calories consumed during a Westside session significantly more than that in a normal moderate intensity WBB1 workout day?

Humble Student
10-13-2002, 05:11 AM
C) Would supersetting a normal routine be more efficient than Westside?

Santiago
10-13-2002, 08:12 AM
A. Why would you want to "cut" while powerlifting? I decreased calories in the months leading up to a meet to make weight, and my lifts suffered. If you're not competing, hell, even if you are, you won't benefit from doing this.

You burn a ton of calories with the program anyway, so you won't be looking like Anthony Clark anytime soon, not to worry. :)

B. They should be.

C. Not for strength.

Humble Student
10-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Well, you see, I'm a rugby player, so I need my mass to be functional i.e. high strength:weight ratio. And that strength has to be explosive so I'm figuring the speed lifts will help me out there.

I'm currently holding a lot of fat weight, mostly around my 37" waist, so I need to get that down without suffering a loss in my strength. So what d'ya thinK?

And damn Anthony Clark is a huge motterfooker... his chest has gotta be like 70 inches or somethin

Chris Rodgers
10-13-2002, 12:50 PM
I have been following powerlifting/Westside type routines for the past year and my weight has dropped about 10 lbs. All my lifts are way up. I have gained a lot of strength and speed. I am now trying to gain some size in an effort to increase my strength even more. I'd say you need a decent amount of cals just to maintan size if you are training hard 4 days per week. I do think it is possible to lose weight and gain strength if you train properly. It is just easier to gain strength while gaining size.