PDA

View Full Version : questions re: diet for lady

prof
10-14-2002, 04:18 AM
Couple of questions,

My lady is trying to get in shape,(cut down) and she is doing a push/pull legs routine, on a 3 day split with some spinning/dance stuff on other days. Can you help me sort out a diet, i'e' how many calories based on 9st @ 5`3" quite high bf, but pretty strong, she can do full pushups and squat/deadlift quite a bit. She has started eating more protein, but is worried about too many total calories. Also can't be too hardcore, food still has to taste good

Also Fruit, most fruit is high GI isn't it? when is the best time to eat fruit, what should you combine it with etc. I'm battling against years of reading Elle etc with great stuff like "the cabbage soup diet" and BS like that. Allready looked at Stumptious.com

Is cardio necessary

thanks in advance

Tryska
10-14-2002, 05:10 AM
not sure exactly how many lbs 9 stone is, but she shouldn't go less than 10 cals per pd, of bw, considerign her activity level, i'd say 12-13lbs per bw calorie wise.

for women,c ardio seems to be necessary at times, yeah. depends on how easy it is for her to cut, really. what's the rep ranges like on her routine,btw?

have her choose her carbs wisely, and get protein in every meal. I'd watch carbs more closely then fat. non of that fat-free crap, but make sure her fats come from good sources - naturally occuring sat fats, plenty of mono-unsats and efas.

prof
10-14-2002, 05:25 AM
126 lbs = 9 stone

thanks tryska so about 1600 cals. routine is not too much volume with heavy sets, 8 reps max

something like this, please feel free to advise, just doing the same as me so far

squat 3x8
sldl 3x8
calf raise 3x10
leg press 3x8
ab crunch

rest/cardio

bench 3x8
shoulderpress 3x8 (dumbells)
tricep pushdowns 3x8
cable laterals, 3x8
dips, (to failure)

rest/cardio

deadlifts 3x8
pullups/assisted, 3x8
seated row 3x8
curls 3x8
ab crunch

what about fruit, is it "healthy or just sugar?

also if cutting do you still need to carb up after training?

GuitarPlayer
10-14-2002, 06:20 AM
fresh fruit is awesome (not talking about dried fruit)

full of vitamins, fiber, exceptional taste, all for very low calories. an apple has about 80 calories, all carbs, but has plenty of bulk and thus is a dessert by itself. takes up lots of room in the stomach so you end up eating less really. plus, eaten with skin, apples have like 5 g of fiber. great food to eat right after a workout, as it replaces glycogen and has tons of water and it tastes great.

another great fruit is the strawberry. especially great when eaten in oatmeal. full of antioxidants.

as a snack fruits cannot be beaten, if your wife eats a fruit between meals her metabolism will definitely improve.

it helps to carb up after training but don't go overboard. 25 g of carbs in combination with 20 g protein should be fine as long as you are eating healthily otherwise.

Tryska
10-14-2002, 06:53 AM
fresh fruit and veggies are your best carb choices, imo.

watch the starches (grains, legumes, potatos etc)

sweet potatoes are a good starch, as a re oats.

prof
10-14-2002, 07:44 AM
what about beans? not the baked variety but canaletti & borlotti? are these good sources of carbs? must be fairly low GI with all that fibre?

Tryska
10-14-2002, 07:46 AM
beans are okay.

I don't eat certain beans for my own reasons, but most are pretty good for fibre and protein. I wouldn't make beans the staple protein, tho.

nuts and seeds are very good as well.

prof
10-14-2002, 07:53 AM
thinking of them as low GI carbs & filling, any thoughts on the workouts?

Tryska
10-14-2002, 08:00 AM
i think the workouts are pretty ace actually. only thing i would change is flyes instead of cable crossovers.

and i'd do walking lunges instead of leg press.

prof
10-14-2002, 08:12 AM
:thumbup: ok so swap cables out, and try walking lunges,

looks forward to improved slinky lady;)

Thanks all

Tryska
10-14-2002, 08:14 AM
*lol*

no worries.

Tryska
10-14-2002, 08:15 AM
oh btw...if she lacks energy or experience lightheadedness or dizziness or anything, up the cals a bit.

it's a fairly heavy routine, and can take it's toll.

prof
10-14-2002, 08:24 AM
OK

will watch out, what more dizzy than normal?? hee hee

Tryska
10-14-2002, 08:34 AM
ha ha. stop picking on your girl. *lol*

like if she gets dizzy when she stands up or moves quickly or is just generally tired or unmotivated. hunger can act liek that.

prof
10-14-2002, 08:37 AM
I know
just foolin