PDA

View Full Version : Cottage cheese on a cut?

Silverback
10-14-2002, 08:43 AM
Is it wise to use cottage cheese on a cutting cycle. i say this because, it is made from skimmed milk and wondered whether the high sugars would be detremental to elinminating body fat.

ON the same cutting subject what about corned beef? as it has 27g per 100g protein, 0 carbs and 13g fat of which saturates 6. What do you think?

Shao-LiN
10-14-2002, 09:09 AM
There's not that much sugar in cottage cheese.

MWB
10-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Good cottage cheese only has 4 carbs per serving, one of which is from sugar. The stuff I get has per 1/2 cup serving:
16 grams protein
4 grams carbs, 1 sugar
1.5 grams of fat.
Good stuff.

Silverback
10-14-2002, 11:22 AM
no way, must be different in the uk cos most i find has 8.9 grams of carbs (sugars 8.9) per 100 grams. Anyone in the uk know of different figures?

Stray
10-14-2002, 11:29 AM
Corned beef is high sodium, no?

Saint Patrick
10-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Stray
Corned beef is high sodium, no?

:offtopic:

Stray
10-14-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Big-Ron
ON the same cutting subject what about corned beef? as it has 27g per 100g protein, 0 carbs and 13g fat of which saturates 6. What do you think?

;)

bradley
10-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Most of the fat free cottage cheese I see has 7 grams of carbs (all from sugar) and 15 grams of prot per 1/2 cup serving.

bradley
10-14-2002, 02:01 PM
Most of the fat free cottage cheese I see has 7 grams of carbs (all from sugar) and 15 grams of prot per 1/2 cup serving. I don't know of any with only 1 gram of sugar.

MWB
10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
The brand I buy is "Friendship". 4 carbs, 1 sugar per 1/2 cup.

Shao-LiN
10-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Knudsen 2% = 5 grams carbs, 4 are sugar.

Saint Patrick
10-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Stray

;)

My bad stray, I didn't see big ron's question there.

Back to Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese is ACE all the time day or night, cutting or bulking.

houseman
10-15-2002, 12:26 PM
Just a point of info...

Cottage cheese has a low bioavability rating. Meaning that most of its protein (50 I believe) is not utilized in the body and is simply excreted out.

There are better sources to choose from.

I once thought Cottage cheese was a good source as well until I found an article that indicated this.

Apparently it doesn't go through the filtering processes liek that of skim milk which almost makes it inferior to skim milk.

Just my thoughts.

Aaron

Workhorse
10-15-2002, 12:27 PM
IMO, cottage cheese is a sub-par protein source anyways. Stick to better foods like tuna, chicken, shakes etc.

Workhorse

Silverback
10-15-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by houseman
Just a point of info...

Cottage cheese has a low bioavability rating. Meaning that most of its protein (50 I believe) is not utilized in the body and is simply excreted out.

Just wanted to know where you got this from because that is rubbish, ive talked with some ifbb pro's and they that biological values and the like dont mean squat.

Youv'e got to supply the calories and the correct amino's which are available in cottage cheese. But we are not discussing the protein issue its the carbs one im covering.

houseman
10-15-2002, 01:24 PM

Just wanted to know where you got this from because that is rubbish, ive talked with some ifbb pro's and they that biological values and the like dont mean squat.

Youv'e got to supply the calories and the correct amino's which are available in cottage cheese. But we are not discussing the protein issue its the carbs one im covering.

Ok.. bioavailability for me IS important where protein is concerned. I know it was off topic was figured since it was about cottage cheese is might have some value.

As far as sugars go... what's the GI of low fat cottage cheese? Not saying that will be your "rating" for determing whether or not you will eat it but could be a good starting point.

I still use cottage cheese while cutting and mix it with a can of tuna and don't see a problem. However, if I was attempting to get to a really low BF%.. say under 8 then perhaps I would cut it out.

Not sure if this helps you any.

Peace.

Aaron

Silverback
10-15-2002, 01:35 PM
yeah it helps cheers bruv,

i think 8% body fat would be nice, till i bulk again. The gi is very low but my view is that carbs are carbs. And ive decided to cycle them to give me the best of both worlds. hopefully it will pay off, ive been cutting for 2 weeks now only 10 to go. im not even struggling (i thought i would).

houseman
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
yeah it helps cheers bruv,

i think 8% body fat would be nice, till i bulk again. The gi is very low but my view is that carbs are carbs. And ive decided to cycle them to give me the best of both worlds. hopefully it will pay off, ive been cutting for 2 weeks now only 10 to go. im not even struggling (i thought i would).

Ahh.. not all carbs are created equal.

Think about it... you eat a candy bar or a cup or a cup of rice.. now they both (caloric wise) are about the same... but one will likely spike insulin and perhaps creating the potential for anything you eat soon after to be stored as fat versus the rice which is low GI will not spike insulin to the point where you store fat.

Its all relative I guess. Just depends on the goals you are trying to obtain.

Just my thoughts.

Aaron

jiacstrap
10-15-2002, 05:36 PM
Cottage cheese is a awesome snack for a cut, I wouldn't use it as a staple to your diet. Mine has 3g of sugar and 5carbs per a half cup.