PDA

View Full Version : Excess sodium in Chicken Breasts

Ritzol
10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
All right, my dad bought me a ton of chicken breasts today, buuut they have a shitload of sodium in them, and it makes me sick to eat em ahh. So, basically I was thinking that if I boiled them before I grilled them, that would take a lot of the excess sodium out, correct? and if I'm wrong.... is there any way to get some of that out?

bigkevin20
10-15-2002, 10:43 AM
i might be wrong but i read this some where
DRINK MORE WATER TO EVEN OUT HIGH LEVELS OF SODIUM not sure how much it will help with your chicken but I hope cause because chicken breast have alot of protein. More than i exspected last time I looked I got a frozen bag that had like 35 grams a breast I use to eat like 3 a time before i new about counting calories and ingredients

body
10-15-2002, 11:30 AM
is the chciken breast been marinated? most are marinated especially precooked chicken this helps keeps the yield up on cooking.

plain un-salted chicken breast should be fine. buy that instead of you are bothered.

MWB
10-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Can you rinse them off before you cook them? I think that may get rid of some of the salt. Next time get normal chicken breasts.

body
10-15-2002, 03:47 PM
you can't rinse out the marinated that has soaked into the chicken breast.

BTW - i am on about the commerical aspect of the chicken is often marinated in a solution of water, salt and phosphates(sometimes emser) this would be done even on plian chciken breast.
This is done so the product maintians yield and also helps stop the breast drying out ot much on cooking so it stays tender.

i am not on about flavour marianeds more sued for the coating of the product. though they often contain sodium, but to wash them off defeats the object of buying a flavoured chicken.

bradley
10-15-2002, 04:07 PM
I agree with body. Most frozen chicken breast will say on the package that they have been soaked in marinade, and most often it is a form of chicken broth.

body
10-15-2002, 05:02 PM
also look for country of origin.

if it comes from thialand or brasil its more likely ot be salted.

MWB
10-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Where do you guys even buy marinaded chicken breasts? Wouldn't they cost more? I just buy fresh boneless skinless one for $1.79 lb and freeze them.

Manveet
10-15-2002, 06:50 PM
I have a box of frozen chicken breasts. I'm more worried about the perservatives.

Ritzol
10-15-2002, 07:48 PM
They weren't marinated.

I boiled them and rinsed them, it seems to have done the trick.
I'll just have him give me the money, and I'll go buy them next time. :D

Jilla82
10-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by MWB
Where do you guys even buy marinaded chicken breasts? Wouldn't they cost more? I just buy fresh boneless skinless one for $1.79 lb and freeze them. $1.79 a pound??? where the fuk you get you chicken from???

Reinier
10-16-2002, 12:42 PM
i get it at about that price for a kilo.
not marinated tho

body
10-16-2002, 01:08 PM
cooked chicken breast is marinated.

buying fresh chicken breasts are not marinated. they are 100% chicken. wel should be.

marinating chicken breast(non-flavoured) makes it cheaper as it has a higher yield after cooking.

MWB
10-16-2002, 02:54 PM
I get mine at the supermarket, where else? Every other week or so they are on sale $1.79 lb for fresh boneless skinless ones. You can get the fresh Perdue ones for about $2.50 lb at wholesale places like BJ's everyday.

Jilla82
10-16-2002, 04:00 PM
well, the places around my house dont sell chicken breast that cheap. They are normaly between $4 or $5. Im gonna start shopping at Sams club, they sell the perdue for $2.09 a pound, and the are LARGE chicken breast.

Those frozen chicken breast run around $20 for 24 breast

body
10-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Ritzol
All right, my dad bought me a ton of chicken breasts today, buuut they have a shitload of sodium in them,

if they are not marinated and they are fresh where does the soduim come from?
chicken is not high in soduim.

Ritzol
10-16-2002, 04:42 PM
well, they aren't marinated because I checked the package.

body
10-16-2002, 05:03 PM
what is the ingredient list on the product?

if there adding salt to it. it will be in solution ie marinade. they will not add salt by it self. as it will just stay in granule on top of the chicken.