PDA

View Full Version : 5 foods that boost immune system

NHBFAN
10-14-2002, 09:30 PM
The top five foods that give your body the best immunity: beef, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, tea and yogurt.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA021014Killer_immunity.html

AdamGberg
10-14-2002, 11:34 PM
weird that oranges or apples or something of their likes aren't mentioned.

NHBFAN
10-15-2002, 09:11 PM
Yeah, most people I asked to guess what the 5 foods were guessed spinach and brocolli.

TylerDurden
10-17-2002, 10:50 AM
Marshino cherries show mutagenic affect in an ames test done with salmonilla. 90% of the results from ames are also carcinogenic in humans, so are marshino cheries carcinogenic?

Stray
10-17-2002, 10:58 AM
I would think blueberries would have made the list....

NHBFAN
10-17-2002, 05:39 PM
Blueberries made a previous list of healthiest foods.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020121/food.html

I wonder if cooking mushrooms takes away any healthy qualities?

BUFF STUFF
10-18-2002, 08:08 PM
what about tomatoes they are ment to be exelent for the imune system

GIS
10-19-2002, 12:07 AM
:rolleyes:

So many foods help the immune system you can't possible keep them on one 'top 5 list.'

So many of these 'studies' are fad studies which many times get reversed a few months later. I remember when they tried to claim that cheesburgers were good for you for whatever reason. Must be because the beef is good for your immune system.

Usually these foods simply contain a vitamin that is good for the immune system and you could get just as good if not a better amount of the vitamine from a different food.

By the way NHBFAN, I'm not dismissing your post... keep up the posting of articles! I just tend to find ones like this humerous because they tend to be misleading.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-19-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by GIS
:rolleyes:

So many foods help the immune system you can't possible keep them on one 'top 5 list.'

So many of these 'studies' are fad studies which many times get reversed a few months later. I remember when they tried to claim that cheesburgers were good for you for whatever reason. Must be because the beef is good for your immune system.

Usually these foods simply contain a vitamin that is good for the immune system and you could get just as good if not a better amount of the vitamine from a different food.

By the way NHBFAN, I'm not dismissing your post... keep up the posting of articles! I just tend to find ones like this humerous because they tend to be misleading.

Good point that.

Have you read the 'Beer is good for you' article?

Yeah, the hops help prevent cardiac disease.

That's a good enough arguement for me to go out and get trolloped.

Of course they never mention that you can get the hops from other sources without the empty calories, alcohol or sugars from beer.

monkeypants
10-19-2002, 04:24 PM
Funny how they don't mention anything about all the hormones you'll be consuming in the beef and yogurt. The low, second-hand doses will sabotage your immune system so you won't be able to fend off more virulent bugs. The article should have been about which key minerals/vitamins are essential to boosting the immune system instead. I wonder who's pocket that nutritionist is in...

mp

bradley
10-19-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by monkeypants
Funny how they don't mention anything about all the hormones you'll be consuming in the beef and yogurt. The low, second-hand doses will sabotage your immune system so you won't be able to fend off more virulent bugs. The article should have been about which key minerals/vitamins are essential to boosting the immune system instead. I wonder who's pocket that nutritionist is in...

mp :scratch: I was under the impression that the bacteria in yogurt was helpful...could be wrong though. Any thoughts CHicken Daddy?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-19-2002, 08:03 PM
He was refering to 'hormones' not bacteria.

The pro and pre-biotic cultures in yoghurt are good for the most part.

I never heard of hormones in yoghurt though.

-supernatural-
10-20-2002, 12:44 AM
You aren't going to have a solid immune system from any one of those foods alone.