PDA

View Full Version : eating clean = dry mouth?

Joe Black
10-15-2002, 04:38 AM
How come whenever I tend to eat clean I get a really dry mouth?

Roughly my diet is...

Meal 1: Scrambled egg on toast or oats

Meal 2: Metrx shake

Meal 3: chicken, vegetables and brown rice

Meal 4: baked potato, tuna and mayo

Meal 5: whey, dextrose (post training)

Meal 6: whey, flax

Any ideas?

The diet works out about 2300 cal's with a 40/30/30 split.

JohnCollins
10-15-2002, 05:28 AM
Yes, Hulk. This is a "fat burning" diet, the 40/30/30 is basically the ratios recommended by Dr. Barry Sears in his "Zone Diet" system. People vary the ratios a bit depending on the types and level of their various activities, but this basically is the ratio that is best suited for your body to repair itself, replace lost tissues and not pile on the fat.

When you metabolize fat, HUGE quantities of water are required, so if you are being strict about what you eat, you'll likely be thirsty all the damn time. This is a good sign. Means you're eating right.

I don't know the chemistry behind WHY you need so much water to metabolize fat, but I'd bet someone else here does, if you want that much detail. But rest assured dry mouth, if you're eating enough to not be hungry, is simply a sign that you are eating almost exactly right. Don't worry, be happy! :D

JPC

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by JohnCollins

When you metabolize fat, HUGE quantities of water are required, so if you are being strict about what you eat, you'll likely be thirsty all the damn time. This is a good sign. Means you're eating right.

Water is also required for glycogen storage.

I don't know the chemistry behind WHY you need so much water to metabolize fat, but I'd bet someone else here does, if you want that much detail.

It's not interesting.

Cloughie, drink more water, tithead.

gino
10-15-2002, 06:43 AM
Hulk, stop smoking so much bud.

Seriously though, if I'm travelling and I only drink a half gallon of water instead of my usual 2 gallons, I'll have the same problem. Just drink constantly - you won't have dry mouth if you drink a liter of water every 1.5 hours. That's what I do now.

Joe Black
10-15-2002, 09:34 AM
ok thanks for the advice.

I think a gallon is equal to 3.8 litres. So you normally drink 7.3 litres? Damn. Thats quite a lot.

*drinks more water.

Stray
10-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Chicken Daddy ~

Just curious why'd ya call em Cloughie? nickname?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 02:39 PM
It's his name.

It's Latin. It translates to 'Donkey's Testicle'.

Quite appropriate really.

Stray
10-15-2002, 02:57 PM
ahh thanks

My last names Clough so just wonderin

Donkey testicle huh? cool...

Joe Black
10-15-2002, 04:41 PM
bah.

My last name is Clough too. I have always been called Cloughie by my mates and use it as my messenger handle mostly also.,

Santiago
10-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Amigo, I'd like to suggest that your increased fiber intake is absorbing more water.

Seeing as your activity and muscle mass is probably the same, your fat loss wouldn't increase as instantly as your fiber intake :)