PDA

View Full Version : Technical question about different effects carbs have on training.

kathnmarc
10-15-2002, 09:56 AM
I have a very curious question....as some of you may know already, I am a new guy and I've just restarted my training from a ten year break. I restarted about 1 month ago and when I started I was also on the Atkins no carb diet. I was very disciplined and ate less than 10g of carbs a day for at least 3 weeks. Anyway, during my low carb period, no matter how hard I trained, I never had any post workout soreness in my muscles the next day....no a bit! I recently came off the Atkins diet and have been consuming calories and carbs like a fiend for max growth....now I hurt the next day????? Why???? I know that there is a physiological explanation for this and I know this is the place to get the answer. On a sidenote: during my low carb time, my exercise intensity did not decrease so I have ruled out inability to train as hard without carbs. Why the burn with carbs, but no burn without???? Thanks in advance. I have become more in touch with my body's needs by reading this site for a week than I had in the last 30 years of guessing.

C.P
10-15-2002, 10:03 AM
could be that u aren't eating as much protein as u were while on the diet.

or

this is a guess, it could be that ur body utilised more protein because of the limited number of carbs u ate. so now that u are eating carbs again ur body isn't utilising as much of the protein.

please dont flame me if im wrong and this is a load of piss!!!!

YatesNightBlade
10-15-2002, 10:04 AM
Was you consuming more protein ???

Yanick
10-15-2002, 10:24 AM
what about volume, intensity (% of 1RM, not percieved effort), density?

Did you change the exercises you have been doing?

Do you keep a journal?

I'm pretty sure that you are working harder now that you have glycogen to work with, as even the CKD guys complain of weakness etc toward the end of the week, i can't even imagine what working out on a straight ketosis diet would be like.

kathnmarc
10-15-2002, 12:40 PM
I have not changed my protein intake, only my carb intake. You are correct, being in total ketosis and lifting every day does begin to kick your butt, however, I did not seem run down once I got started...only before I started. I do not keep a journal, but probably should. I have noticed the last couple of days that my strength has increased very rapidly. Almost as if my strength has been thrown forward by a slingshot. Anyway, about the pain, or lactic acid........do carbs affect the production of lactic acid? After all, isn't lactic acid responsible for the burn????? Does a lack of carbs inhibit the production of lactic acid as it seems to be the case here??? I would get a temp burn right after the exercise of course, but the next day "toasted muscle" feeling was not there like it was with carb consumption. The hardest part of training on the low carb diet, in my opinion, is not cramming my face full of carbs right after training. The rest of the time, I'm fine.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by kathnmarc
I have noticed the last couple of days that my strength has increased very rapidly. Almost as if my strength has been thrown forward by a slingshot.

Enough to allow you to lift heavier weights for more reps?

Blood&Iron
10-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Anyway, about the pain, or lactic acid........do carbs affect the production of lactic acid? After all, isn't lactic acid responsible for the burn????? Does a lack of carbs inhibit the production of lactic acid as it seems to be the case here???
Yes.

kathnmarc
10-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Blood&Iron,

What causes the production of lactic acid and how does it affect me?

kathnmarc
10-15-2002, 02:05 PM
ChickenDaddy,

Yes, believe it or not.....I originally started on a regular diet (first couple of days) then I got on a strict carb diet, less than 20g a day. Through this my lifting intensity (reps x weight + rest between sets) remained the same. I remained practically carb free (deep in ketosis) for 3 weeks. Then, you and I had a small discussion on diet the other day and I carb loaded like a madman. I have since been taking in at least 3300 calories a day (bodyweight in lbs x 18 Per a Chris Mason post)and my power has skyrocketed. For instance, my last ketosis workout, I did military press 3 sets 75lbs, 8-10 reps.....after carb starvation and loading 4 sets 100lbs, 8 reps! What is up with that? Is that possible in 4 weeks? Maybe the carb starvation shock and then the Carb shock is tricking my body into growing instinctively????? Hell, I don't know, this may be a new way to break through plateaus.....maybe I'm overly excited about nothing. Damn new guys!

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Well you're lifting heavier weights. Heavier than your body is used to.

You should expect to get sore.

Do some different that your body is not acustomed to then 9 times out of 10 you'll be sore the next day.

Blood&Iron
10-15-2002, 06:47 PM
Blood&Iron,

What causes the production of lactic acid and how does it affect me?
Here's a previous thread with some links:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11390&highlight=lactate