PDA

View Full Version : post workout shake when working out twice a day..

iLUDEd
10-15-2002, 12:53 PM
im going to be spliting up my routine so i can do half before work and the other half when i get back (kinda tight on time since its the business end of uni at the moment).. which scenario would be best for me? (im cutting btw)

A: have my 2 post workout shakes consisting of 40g whey and 40g malto each.. totaling in 80g whey and 80g malto..

or

B: split my normal post workout shake in 2, so im having 25g whey, 30g malto after each workout..

or

C: have my normal post workout shake after each workout.. totalling in 100g whey and 120g malto..

what are your suggestions? im thinking A or B.. but not sure which one to follow :help:

houseman
10-15-2002, 01:13 PM
First off...

A good postwork out shake ratio is 3:1 (carbs to protein). Too much protein will result ( I believe) in a negative - not positive (which is what we want) - nitrogen balance.

If you are cutting.. simply count the carb cals into your overall carb macros for the day.

Now.. on to your specific question...

I would suggest (my opinion only) not splitting up your weight training sessions (when cutting). Instead I would rather see you go hardcore (full body if needs be) for 30 mins of hell. Make it a short but highly intense workout (you don't need huge amount of sets IF you push your muscles to failure quickly).

Note: you can only break a muscle down once - anything after that is just ego :P (IMO)

You are not trying to build muscle.. just keep the muscle you do have so that can be a perfect alternative to you while you are busy with school.

Take your sugar source immediately after workout..then 10 mins later take your protein (or you can combine.. I like to split them up).

Now.. if you are doing cardio? def. split that up. Cardio morning and weights night if you are pressed for time.

OR... do your 30 mins wieghts then quickly head to cardio to burn up more cals and jump start your metabolism for the evening.

Metabolism slows in the evening so doing some cardio after a weight session is a good way to bump it back up during the night.

Just my thoughts.

Peace.

Aaron

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Why can't you fit it all into a 30-40 minute session?

Blood&Iron
10-15-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
He's doing what Bryan Haycock has said is the 'optimal' implementation of HST. Basically, what I was doing previously.

EDIT: oops, I got him confused with someone else(Shao-lin)

I think you should treat each workout as your only one, i.e. whatever you would do if you were having one workout and think is optimal, do that two times. I'm not a huge fan of any of the listed options and they don't include pre/during workout nutrition. You can look at my journal if, for whatever reason, you're interested in what I do.

iLUDEd
10-15-2002, 01:25 PM

i get home from work at midnight, goto bed at 1:30am.. get up at 11am, goto uni till 2pm, then start getin ready for work at 3pm.. ive got an hour from geting home from uni till geting home from work, i just presumed the new routine ive set out for myself would take over an hour to do (HST).. ill see how i go tomorrow if i can finish it in 40 minutes, last time i tried it, it took me well over an hour and that was the reson why i chose to discontinue doing it..

iLUDEd
10-15-2002, 01:30 PM
thanks B&I, ill have a look at it first thing in the morning when i got some time

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-15-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by houseman
Too much protein will result ( I believe) in a negative - not positive (which is what we want) - nitrogen balance.

Too much protein results in negative nitrogen balance? :scratch:

houseman
10-15-2002, 01:47 PM

Too much protein results in negative nitrogen balance? :scratch:

At one sitting... lemme see if I can't find the data behind the statement.. I may have been thinking of something else.

Will report back as soon as I can.

Peace.

Aaron

gettinjackT
10-15-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by houseman
First off...

A good postwork out shake ratio is 3:1 (carbs to protein). Too much protein will result ( I believe) in a negative - not positive (which is what we want) - nitrogen balance.

I'd really like to see the study on this. Also, how is 40g of whey too much protein? Or is it the carbohydrate/protein ratio that causes this decrease in nitrogen retention?:confused:

entrrt
10-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by iLUDEd

i get home from work at midnight, goto bed at 1:30am.. get up at 11am

suggestion: instead of 9 1/2 hrs. sleep get 8 hours. gives ya 90 xtra min. and/or go to bed a lil' earlier to give your-self more time to workout.

gino
10-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Yeah, just do one workout. Hell, I could do a total body workout in 60 minutes.

Maki Riddington
10-16-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm a huge fan of twice day workouts. Of course you can only keep training like this for a couple weeks before some sort of mental burnout is apparent.

Anyways, to each his own.

Blood&Iron
10-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
I'm a huge fan of twice day workouts. Of course you can only keep training like this for a couple weeks before some sort of mental burnout is apparent.

I love them too. But I don't run into burnout. But, then, my workouts are periodized.

Maki Riddington
10-17-2002, 12:33 AM
So are mine. I have found though that going full tilt and then doing some 'deloading' will work wonders.

It basically comes down to how you organize your training. I'm working with a high volume twice a day workout so it takes it's toll as opposed to a lower volume workouts.

Anyways, I like them. That's all I wanted to say.

Mystic Eric
10-17-2002, 12:42 AM
2x s day work outs rule. So do high volume workouts. :D