PDA

View Full Version : Lean, except for the abs?!

flashvertigo
10-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Hello,

I am a fairly average weight for my body height and build (20 years old, 145 lbs, 5'8") and while the rest of my body is pretty lean and firm, I still have the "potbelly effect." I watch my diet closely, eat nutritious foods, work out usually a couple/several times a week, and drink lots of water, but I just can't seem to make a difference in the abdominal region. I can even feel significantly hard abs with definition if I flex hard and feel through the layer of ab fat. So what is causing this long, ongoing battle against JUST that abdominal fat?? Why isn't anything happening? Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

entrrt
10-15-2002, 08:38 PM
belly=1st area to that gains fat, last area to lose it! you'd have to give us more details of your current diet/training regimen. BF%?

flashvertigo
10-15-2002, 09:01 PM
Ok..here goes nothing...
Not sure on the BF%...last time I did that was a year or so ago in high school, so it wouldn't be of much good now.

I'm guessing I need around 2000 calories per day. I have been shooting for somewhere in the 1500 to 1700 range, but as you all know, it is hardly a science, so its hard to tell how many I actually I am taking in. I would imagine that perhaps my calorie intake is one of my weak points. The food I do eat is lean, but I eat quite a bit throughout the day. I like Lean Cuisines a lot, so I eat quite a few of them. At least one meal a day is a Lean Cuisine. I also eat Subway and Mr. Goodcents (subs) a few times a week. I have had zero soft drink intake in the last 5 months or so. I drink either natural fruit juices or water. I am a big fan of breakfast, so I usually have either oatmeal, honey bunches of oats, or cheerios. Another weak spot may be my consuption of food late in the day, like around 8PM to 11PM when I usually am working on homework. Stress and low sleep may also be significant factors.

My workout usually consists of running 2 to 2.5 miles and then a light arm/upperbody workout. This is done at the YMCA where I work. I also bike, swim, and use the rowing machine every so often. This workout routine is done anywhere from 2 to 4 times a week--just depends on how busy I am. I run at a decent pace, probably at an average of 8mph. I would guess my typical workout usually burns anywhere from 200 to 300 calories.

What I am sure about is that slowly, but surely, I am becoming discouraged with the nuetral or negative results over the last year or so. Know what I mean?

If ya need any more info, let me know...

Shao-LiN
10-15-2002, 09:15 PM
Nothing wrong with eating at 8 or 11pm. Do some cardio...stomach is a very stubborn area. Can also throw in an ECA stack if it gets down to it.

thatdaveguy
10-15-2002, 11:59 PM
dont forget that more muscle helps burn fat as well. try hitting the weights a little harder and make your muscles do some of the fat burning work as well! I found that the more muscle I gained the less cardio I had to do. I have a similar problem, I was a big guy (6'4 255 lbs 24%bf), got down to 195 (9.5%bf) and looked sick! now am 215 at about 12%bf and only need to loose the love handles!

dave

bradley
10-16-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by thatdaveguy
dont forget that more muscle helps burn fat as well. try hitting the weights a little harder and make your muscles do some of the fat burning work as well! I found that the more muscle I gained the less cardio I had to do. I have a similar problem, I was a big guy (6'4 255 lbs 24%bf), got down to 195 (9.5%bf) and looked sick! now am 215 at about 12%bf and only need to loose the love handles!

dave

I agree with the above post. Get a good routine together and perform it three times a week along with cardio on your off days if you like. I would keep my calories at no less than 200 for now and see how that works. The WBB routines are a great place to start. Good luck.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by flashvertigo
So what is causing this long, ongoing battle against JUST that abdominal fat?? Why isn't anything happening?

Your brain. Sever all ties with it.

By the way, a six pack would be all grand and dandy, but at 145lbs, losing anymore weight and you'd be one skinny-ass mofo.

You guess that you eat between 1500-1700? More often than not people either seriously underestimate how many cals they're eating or seriously overestimate. You'd be much better off actually counting calories. And you don't have to do it every day as such, just work out an entire diet in an hour or two and stick it up on your cupboard door and eat the same things (and same measurements) everyday. Sure, it's bland and get's tedious, but it works for the most part.

And your eating habbits are quite piss-poor dude.

Lean cuisine = TV dinner style stuff? Yeah, get rid of that. And the subway et al.

Bump water intake up.

You should shooting for about 5-6 well balanced meals a day. Balanced as in a combination of some quality carbs, quality protein and good fat - with added fibre every other meal or so.

And as dave said, more muscle = higher metabolism = more cals burned = easier to drop fat.

You need to go to the training forum and get yourself a good weight lifting routine - a one that includes leg training. You can still do all your cardio and stuff though if you want.