PDA

View Full Version : less calories=weight loss?

Carstondrummer
10-16-2002, 05:35 PM
I met with a personal trainer/nutritionist wanting to lose fat, and put on muscle. Too lose weight, I am familiar with the idea of cutting back on calories and still working out (cardio+weight training); more calories used than put in, therefore weight loss. But he told me that you will lose fat just as easily by eating as many calories as needed as long as its healthy food, low in fat. I do cardio+weight training 5-6 days a week and am eating 2500 calories a day. After about a month and a half, there is no difference and my Bf is still the same. Is it going to work eating this many calories? Thanks

Shao-LiN
10-16-2002, 05:53 PM
Would help if you threw in your weight. But you want more cals burned than you intake. Low in fat doesn't mean you will lose fat. In fact, you need a healthy intake of essential fatty acids in order for your body to let go of the fat it already has stored.

bradley
10-17-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Carstondrummer
I met with a personal trainer/nutritionist wanting to lose fat, and put on muscle. Too lose weight, I am familiar with the idea of cutting back on calories and still working out (cardio+weight training); more calories used than put in, therefore weight loss. But he told me that you will lose fat just as easily by eating as many calories as needed as long as its healthy food, low in fat. I do cardio+weight training 5-6 days a week and am eating 2500 calories a day. After about a month and a half, there is no difference and my Bf is still the same. Is it going to work eating this many calories? Thanks

You should have seen some results in a month and a half. I would suggest posting your diet and training program. It is obvious that something needs to be changed.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 06:53 AM
But he told me that you will lose fat just as easily by eating as many calories as needed as long as its healthy food, low in fat.

The low in fat statement is wrong for the most part (a low fat diet will work to a certain degree for a certain amount of time providing calories are in check and you don't break diet).

How did he define healthy food?

If he really said that and in that manner, then he sounds like cluefuck to me.

They are good posts above mine.

Yanick
10-17-2002, 10:18 AM
most PT's and Nutritionists are fuckin idiots. This is just another example of it.

hemants
10-17-2002, 01:43 PM
More calories expended than eaten = weight loss

Cardio = expending calories during exercise

Weight training and HIIT = expending more calories for up to 48 hours after exercise AND retaining muscle

If fat loss (not just weight loss) is the goal then you must weight train or you will lose muscle.

Stray
10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
Weight training and HIIT = expending more calories for up to 48 hours after exercise AND retaining muscle

I thought it was closer to 1 hour...

Miss Rezza
10-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Yanick
most PT's and Nutritionists are fuckin idiots. This is just another example of it.

Most people that GENERALISE are "fuckn idiots" too!!

;)

Carstondrummer
10-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot for the input I agree. I weigh 145 pounds. A week for me looks like: Cardio is usualy at 1:30 Weight training at 5:00
Mon: 30 min cardio 1hour training for chest and arms.8 exercises. 3 sets; reps:12,10,8. 15 min training abs. 3-4 exercises. 3 sets; 15reps.
Tue: 30min cardio 1 hr legs. 8-9 exercises. 3-4 sets. reps:12,10,8
Wed: 30min cardio 1hr back and shoulders. 7 exercises. 3 sets: reps:12,10,8. 15 min training abs. 3-4 exercises. 3 sets; 15reps.
Thur: "Monday"
Fri:"Tuesday"
Sat: OFF
Sun: "Wednessday"
Sorry that this is kind of general.
EATING (I drink water all through out the day. Approx 2 gallons a day)
6:30am 1bowl Kashi go lean cereal/swim milk + Whole wheat bagel+ 6 tbspns of eggwhites
10:00 Baby carrots with apple
12:00 Turkey sandwhich with wheat bread. Pear. Banana
4:00 Chicken breast w/rice. 8 oz. nonfat Yogurt. 8 oz skim milk.
7:00 Salad with cucumber, tomato, romaine lettuce. Nonfat tuna- whole can. Banana
11:00 Protein shake w/ 8 oz skim milk
I hope this helps a bit to explain my situation. I've never eaten so much and trained so much in my life, im kinda pissed that there still has been no results. At 2500 cals a day, i try to put in 130 g. of protein atleast a day. But all this eating seems silly, im still not losing weight and fat. Thanks.

Shao-LiN
10-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Lower your cals then.

How tall are you? At 145 pounds, you still want to lose weight?

bradley
10-18-2002, 02:57 AM
EATING (I drink water all through out the day. Approx 2 gallons a day)
6:30am 1bowl Kashi go lean cereal/swim milk + Whole wheat bagel+ 6 tbspns of eggwhites
10:00 Baby carrots with apple
12:00 Turkey sandwhich with wheat bread. Pear. Banana
4:00 Chicken breast w/rice. 8 oz. nonfat Yogurt. 8 oz skim milk.
7:00 Salad with cucumber, tomato, romaine lettuce. Nonfat tuna- whole can. Banana
11:00 Protein shake w/ 8 oz skim milk
I hope this helps a bit to explain my situation. I've never eaten so much and trained so much in my life, im kinda pissed that there still has been no results. At 2500 cals a day, i try to put in 130 g. of protein atleast a day. But all this eating seems silly, im still not losing weight and fat. Thanks.

If you are wanting to cut I would up my healthy fats and protien a bit, and maybe get ride of the fruit except maybe a banana post-workout. Maybe add some protien to that 10 a.m. meal. along with some fat instead of an apple and carrots. Just some suggestions, but good luck with the diet.

restless
10-18-2002, 02:57 AM
The low fat diet is one of the worst things to someone who's trying to lose fat and keep muscle. (if you're trying to lose both then it's ok i guess). It's been shown in many studies that a fat intake below 30% will decrease your male hormones and i'm sure you all know what this means in these kind of situations. A low fat (less than 15%) will wreck havoc on your endocrine system and i really can't see that as a good thing under any circunstances.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-18-2002, 04:23 AM
It's also probably the most unsucessful in the long run.

Carston, pretty piss-poor training/cardio split, man.

Weight train 3 times a week and do no cardio these days.

Do your cardio no three of your non-lifting days.

have at least one day off, which i see you are, which is good.

The bodypart split you've got is ok, just do each day once a week, monday, wednesday, friday for example. That way you may actually get some muscle growth outta all this.

Just looking at your diet and i see can it could do with some work. Are you definately counting calories? and counting them properly?

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, make every meal balanced (with the exception of post workout, maybe).

Balanced i mean get a bit of every macro from a quality source.

I see some of your meals have significantly more calories than others. Try and equal them all out.

Try and get a calorie and macro breakdown for every meal you have there. I've got some ideas for you, that i'll give once you get back to me with that.

Yanick
10-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Miss Rezza

Most people that GENERALISE are "fuckn idiots" too!!

;)

"gen·er·al Pronunciation Key (jnr-l)
adj.
Concerned with, applicable to, or affecting the whole or every member of a class or category: “subduing all her impressions as a woman, to something more general” (Virginia Woolf). [1]

Key word in my post, MOST, not ALL.

also, assuming saying MOST is generalizing what'd you just do it your last post?

BTW, had you been a bit more polite i would've apologized for saying that, as my post was worded badly. I should've said MOST don't know sh!t about nutrition/general fitness.

references:

[1]www.dictionary.com

P.S. its G-E-N-E-R-A-L-I-Z-E

and its F-U-C-K-I-N

;):D

Carstondrummer
10-18-2002, 03:43 PM
For the chicken daddy, and anyone wanting to help. Thanks again.
Macronutrient breakdown: 1212carb 620protein 126fat
6:30am 35g protein 4g fat 80 gram carb.
10:00 All carbs 35 grams?
12:00 22 gram protein. 3 gram fat. 80-85 g carb
4:00 35 g. protein? 45 gram carb. ? 3 gram fat
7:00 33 gram protein. 35 gram carb? 1 g fat
11:00 30 gram protein 26 gram carb 3 gram fat
OK! When i wrote up my meal plan, I figured it was on the light side, but I didnt go back and check it out. I truely am missing some things , cause this diet comes out to: carb 1212cal pro 620cal fat126cal. This is way to low, my carbs and fats are usually higher, and my protein lower. Im a pretty wacko calorie counter. See, I lost 50 pounds over the last year, so I'm kinda big on calorie counting. I lowered my BF from 32% to 13%. 5'6" 145lbs. So i lost all this weight, and now I want to trim it all up, not necisarrily BULK so much, and I met up with this PT/nutrtionist. And hes got me eating all this food and all this protein, and im jut not seeing the results I hoped for. I still think i should eat less calories. I was intrigued by chicken daddys comment on not training so hard with cardio and weight training. It would be nice to be able to cut back a little. I always figured 5 days cardio and 2 days a week for each body section on weight training, therefore 6 days weight training. I'd like to know more about cutting back to a correct workout schedule. How much cardio and weight training for best results. Thanks

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-18-2002, 04:03 PM
You definately need more fat than that. In fact, i'm quite disappointed in myself for not picking up on that just by looking at your diet. It's quite obvious looking back.

Anyhoo...

Firstly, training that frequently is just over kill. Maybe if you do some sort of HST routine then it's required, but there's no need that right now. Hit each bodypart once a week get the job done with a decent volume of sets (about 4-8 for large parts, 2-4 for small). This is said so regularly these days, but it is so true - you grow outside of the gym, not in it.

Ideally, get your weight lifting sessions done and dusted within 40 minutes, get some food or a post workout shake down you and get out of the gym.

30 minutes cardio every other day is ok, but the day after leg training you may wanna take it easy, or schedule your rest day for this time.

The reason you're not seeing the results you're after is because of too much training, most likely.

Congratulations on your weight loss. That is truely inspiring. Awesome.

The PT may have the right idea. Eat more protein, more fat and maybe lower your carbs. Or alternatively, just up protein and fat and keep carbs as they are.

At 145lbs your maintenance calorie level is (theoretically) 2175kcals a day. Adding muscle while dropping fat is pretty much impossible unless you're a) a new lifter, b) really fat, c) a young kid with a high testosterone level, d) a drug user with a high synthetic testosterone level.

Reason being, adding muscle usually involves a surplus of calories, whereas dropping fat usually involves a deficit of calories. You can't be in calorie surplus and deficit at the same time. Unless you fit into the four categories above, trying to manipulate your body to drop fat while adding muscle is not worth the hassle, if it is possible at all. It's much more simple to either gain weight, keeping fat gain minimum or lose weight, keeping muscle loss minimum.

So, since you're so light, you may wanna focus on adding weight really slowly to get some muscle on you while keeping fat gain minimum.

So, you may wanna up calories slightly, to say, 2200kcals (very slightly over 'maintenace' calorie level for you, and i mean slightly - like 15kcals lol) and see how it goes. Manipulate calories to ensure a slow weight gain of about 0.5lb a week. 1lb a week every so often is ok though.

Definately up your intake of EFA's though. Or else you'll notice nasty endrocrine system failure effects.

Carstondrummer
10-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Dear chicken THANKS AGAIN! very much. Its funny that you mentioned those 4 categories. I'm 17 years old. I don't know if that is considered young. Maybe that will help me then. BTW, What are some good ways to get my EFAs in food or pills. Thanks

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-18-2002, 04:32 PM
17 is a good age. You could expect to add muscle while dropping fat.

EFAs: flax oil to some extent (bottles are better in this case, keep it refridgerated too), fish oil caps 9 (cause it tastes rank), udos oil if it's available there, actual fish - the oily ones like salmon and mackerel etc...