PDA

View Full Version : Shake Digestion

Fuel
10-16-2002, 07:38 PM
as for a normal protein shake of like 30g's mixed with only water, is there any digestion involved, or are the aminos in their most ready form and just pass through the intestine wall?

more specifically, when one drinks a shake with only water, do any digestive juices get excreted into stomach?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 06:43 AM
Whey protein shakes are partially digested proteins, so yes.

(note, not that the body partially digests them, but the manufacturing process means they are 'partially digested proteins').

Some jazz like that anyway...

EDIT: I dunno how amino acids tablets quite work. Are they held together with some substance?

I imagine digestive chemicals are released no matter what you eat.

Fuel
10-17-2002, 11:26 AM
could you or anyone else be a little more specific? if they are only *partially* digested, then they still need digestion. i am wondering exactly what this partial digestion entails, how long it takes ect.

i think you are right, chemicals are excreted not matter what you eat, but this isn't eating. this is depositing the end result of protein breakdown in your stomach, along with water. maybe this breaks the rule?

just to make a guess, i would say that the aminos would *immediately* get sucked through the walls, even through the walls of the mouth and esophagus. but maybe this shake is not all that "ready" for absorption???

LAM
10-17-2002, 11:49 AM
free form amino acids and BCAA's do not need to be digested

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Fuel
could you or anyone else be a little more specific? if they are only *partially* digested, then they still need digestion. i am wondering exactly what this partial digestion entails, how long it takes ect.

i think you are right, chemicals are excreted not matter what you eat, but this isn't eating. this is depositing the end result of protein breakdown in your stomach, along with water. maybe this breaks the rule?

just to make a guess, i would say that the aminos would *immediately* get sucked through the walls, even through the walls of the mouth and esophagus. but maybe this shake is not all that "ready" for absorption???

Whey proteins are 'partially digested' because that's what the manufacturing processes leave them as.

Food sits in your stomach for breakdown et al before entering the instinal tract where it is absorbed.

Apart from this, i have no idea. It's never really bothered me in all honesty. Why do you ask, anyway?

Fuel
10-17-2002, 03:44 PM
just attempting to gain an understanding of what happens the minutes after i consume a shake.

also, people say casein protein shakes digest more slowly. well, probably not that much slower, unless it is not "predigested".

thanks LAM. so i conclude that in about 5 mintues that entire shake is being plowed into my muscles, or at least circulating in my body. now, since my postworkout meal consists of powdered gatorade mixed with my protein shake and dates, this slows down the shake CONSIDERABLY, correct? or do the aminos still go through the walls as if nothing else were in the stomach, *just like H2o does*?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Fuel
just attempting to gain an understanding of what happens the minutes after i consume a shake.

also, people say casein protein shakes digest more slowly. well, probably not that much slower, unless it is not "predigested".

Well, casein forms clots in the stomach, so it's a different kettle of fish. I've been refering to whey until now.

thanks LAM. so i conclude that in about 5 mintues that entire shake is being plowed into my muscles, or at least circulating in my body. now, since my postworkout meal consists of powdered gatorade mixed with my protein shake and dates, this slows down the shake CONSIDERABLY, correct? or do the aminos still go through the walls as if nothing else were in the stomach, *just like H2o does*?

Try closer to 30+ minutes actually, for the shake to be digested and absorbed etc... and inthe blood stream.

Protein actually slows the carb digestion.

And dates, being a wholefood for one, and having some fibre (dunno how much) slow down digestion even more.

Fuel
10-17-2002, 05:27 PM
tell me more about these clots. sounds weird.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 06:12 PM
The digestion of milk proteins forms a kind of paste that sits on the stomach, slowing gastric emptying. Which is why casein takes longer.

smalls
10-17-2002, 06:18 PM
I'm pretty sure there would be no absorption of protein(aminos) in the mouth or stomach. It would have to make it to the small intestine first, which like tcd already said would take at least 30 minutes. Also most protein shakes have a small amount of fat as well which would also slow gastric emptying. But honestly I would be more worried about the protein slowing the carbs than vice versa.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-17-2002, 06:29 PM
The only thing where actual digestion occurs in the mouth (not counting chewing as digestion) is amylase, i believe.

smalls
10-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Lingual lipase is the only other thing, it is responsible for a very small amount of fat digestion in the mouth.