PDA

View Full Version : Red Meat

eclips1
10-17-2002, 12:49 PM
I was wondering what it is about red meat that is healthy and unhealthy. I've been eating it daily in 1 form or another. Is it the fat that contributes to clogged artery's and bad cholesterol?

I eat 4 servings on beef jerky every day. Gives me 56g protien with only 2g fat and 20 carbs.

I also will eat steak 2 or 3 times a week.

Just wondering what the pro's and cons of this aspect of my diet are.

restless
10-17-2002, 01:34 PM
Don't worry about beef and cholesterol. Your liver produces a lot more than what you ingest in your food, as long as you take in your omega 3 you have nothing to fear.

By the way, can you tell me what's beef jerky? I never heard of that here in Europe...Sorry for the dumb question.

hemants
10-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Healthy = protein, creatine

Unhealthy = saturated fat, cholesterol, hormones (if it is not organic)

eclips1
10-17-2002, 03:20 PM
Wow, I don't know how to describe beef jerky. Someone here could give a better explination than me, I can't think of the right word right now but its like dried out beef.

What is Omega 3??

jds22
10-17-2002, 03:26 PM
I could live on beef jerky. I feel sorry for people who have never had it. I weep for you. :cry:

Jerry

restless
10-17-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by jds22
I could live on beef jerky. I feel sorry for people who have never had it. I weep for you. :cry:

Jerry

Well, maybe i had it but it will obviously have some other name in my country. So there's no need for you to feel sad....:D

bradley
10-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by restless

By the way, can you tell me what's beef jerky? I never heard of that here in Europe...Sorry for the dumb question.

Beef jerky is just dehydrated beef. Has loads of sodium but it does make for a convenient high protien snack. Sa a program on TV about making beef jerky the other day. Takes 1000lbs. of beef to make approx 330lbs. of jerky.

restless
10-17-2002, 04:53 PM
Thanks.

Stray
10-17-2002, 05:00 PM
I eat 4 servings on beef jerky every day. Gives me 56g protien with only 2g fat and 20 carbs

Is it homemade or commercial prepackaged stuff?

If its store bought I couldnt imagine the amount of sodium you're taking in daily...

bradley
10-18-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Stray

Is it homemade or commercial prepackaged stuff?

If its store bought I couldnt imagine the amount of sodium you're taking in daily...

I think 2 oz. has approx. 900mg sodium. Give or take a little depending on the brand and flavor.

eclips1
10-18-2002, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by bradley

Beef jerky is just dehydrated beef.

Dehydrated. Thats the word I was looking for.

I eat the store bought stuff so my diet is very high in sodium. I've been thinking about getting one of those dehydration machines to make my own at home.

perfecto
10-18-2002, 10:34 AM
i think beef jerky is american cause we sure dont have it in OZ

Bullrider Billy
10-18-2002, 10:50 AM
[i]Unhealthy = ... hormones (if it is not organic) [/B]

I used to think that too. But growth hormone and anabolic hormones don't survive first pass. Growth hormone never even makes it to the liver. It's digested before that.

body
10-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by restless

I thinks its called pepperani(SP?) here.

you may have seen the adverts with that beef stick a while ago on TV(UK).

Stray
10-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by eclips1
I eat the store bought stuff so my diet is very high in sodium. I've been thinking about getting one of those dehydration machines to make my own at home.

I'd recomend it...it's pricey a bit for good cuts of beef but far superior in quality...my wife's friend has one we use all the time and its great.

Pretty much if it can fit in the dehydrator we've dehydrated it. (We'll miss you Mr. Puddles :( )

bradley
10-18-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Stray

I'd recomend it...it's pricey a bit for good cuts of beef but far superior in quality...my wife's friend has one we use all the time and its great.

Pretty much if it can fit in the dehydrator we've dehydrated it. (We'll miss you Mr. Puddles :( )

Any good recommendations on foods to dehydrate other than fruit and beef?

Stray
10-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Turkey is good but expensive...any kind of game meat (family friend of ours hunts)

I mostly use it to make teriyaki beef jerky .YUM

The_Blackstar
10-20-2002, 10:04 AM
Red meat seems to work out fine for me, I eat it everyday, and have seen great gains seince I started doing so.