PDA

View Full Version : slice of lemon in water

10-19-2002, 09:37 PM
I put a slice of water in my brita water filter to add taste once in a while. Does anyone see a problem with this?

does this cause added sodium or cause me to retain water? I checked up on lemons and they seem to have extremely low sodium.

and I can't see it adding much calories.. 100g of lemon is only 30 calories and I'm actually not eating the slice of lemon..

Franjipani
10-19-2002, 09:42 PM
What you are actually doing is Alkalizing your body...so its all good:thumbup:.

Its even better when you do it first thing in the morning......

Spawn_X
10-20-2002, 12:16 AM
care to explain the Alkalizing thing please?

I love lemons, but will consume even more of them if I see it has a positive effect :)

Franjipani
10-20-2002, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Spawn_X
care to explain the Alkalizing thing please?

The concept of alkalizing is to do with the pH levels of the blood and body tissues. All the food that we digest metabolizes down to an ash residue which can be either neutral, acid or alkaline.

The cells of our body are bathed in alkaline fluid. Over acidification leads to sickness & disease. Wrong diet, a high-stress life & toxic thinking are the main acid builders in our body.

Foods which create an alkaline effect are veges (mostly greens), seeds, nuts, grains, low sugar fruits such as avocado, lemon, lime tomato & peppers.

So, whenever I eat bad foods, I tend to balance it out with either my "green" drink or water with lemon...

Luckily for me I'm Vegan:D

Mystic Eric
10-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

The concept of alkalizing is to do with the pH levels of the blood and body tissues. All the food that we digest metabolizes down to an ash residue which can be either neutral, acid or alkaline.

The cells of our body are bathed in alkaline fluid. Over acidification leads to sickness & disease. Wrong diet, a high-stress life & toxic thinking are the main acid builders in our body.

Foods which create an alkaline effect are veges (mostly greens), seeds, nuts, grains, low sugar fruits such as avocado, lemon, lime tomato & peppers.

So, whenever I eat bad foods, I tend to balance it out with either my "green" drink or water with lemon...

Luckily for me I'm Vegan:D

Aren't lemons acidic though? I've experienced it first hand myself when I squirting some lemons for a drink and then some got in my eye and I was in pain!! :confused:

Franjipani
10-20-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
Aren't lemons acidic though? I've experienced it first hand myself when I squirting some lemons for a drink and then some got in my eye and I was in pain!! :confused:

*LMAO* funny buggar arn't ya:D.

Lemon adds alkalinity to water.....

body
10-20-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

*LMAO* funny buggar arn't ya:D.

Lemon adds alkalinity to water.....

one slice will add very little acidity at all.

the amount of kcal in a slice will be like 3.
Plus on top of that some of the kcals will be in the stucture and are not soluble eihter.

GonePostal
10-20-2002, 12:03 PM
How are lemon's not acidic?
They are a citrus fruit and therefore have citric acid in shed loads. So when you squeeze a lemon into a glass of water it should become more acidic rather then alkaline...

Spawn_X
10-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Thanks Franji, I'll start adding lemon to the water.

10-20-2002, 09:32 PM
I'm glad I brought this topic up. I haven't seen it discussed before. :)

Spawn_X
10-20-2002, 11:18 PM
yes.. <pats avatar on the back>.

Stray
10-21-2002, 11:42 AM
Lemons have a PH of 2.2 (very acidic)

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/app3a.html

body
10-21-2002, 01:34 PM
Lemons may be acidic. but you have to at least put a couple of slices of lemon in any way in a small amount of water.

Plus tap water pH can vary a fiar bit from area to area as well.

GonePostal
10-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Franjipani still has not responded to how acid makes water basic... totally illogical...

Franjipani
10-21-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by GonePostal
Franjipani still has not responded to how acid makes water basic... totally illogical...

What I am saying is that adding lemon to water WHEN INGESTED has an alkalising effect on the blood stream;).

If you want more info about the principles of Alkalising, check out a book called "sick & tired" by Dr Robert O. Young....

jiacstrap
10-21-2002, 07:55 PM
Im going to have to try this!

Just some girl
10-22-2002, 07:49 AM
what doesnt make sense to me is that regardless of what it is "alkalizing", how can an acid cause something to become more basic unless you are referring to it alkalizing a stronger acid....and can that even happen? i think we need to get a chemist in here. hey, doc!! do you know anything about this?

GuitarPlayer
10-22-2002, 08:22 AM
score! another vegan

glory to the plant kingdom

Alex.V
10-22-2002, 08:32 AM
vegans.

lol.

ElPietro
10-22-2002, 08:37 AM
I don't know what this process is about, but I don't know how you guys have difficulty understanding her concept. If you introduce an acid, then your body will probably do something to balance your body's pH level, so producing an alkaline chemical to balance things out could be the process she speaks of.

Tryska
10-22-2002, 08:39 AM
i think you got it LP.

i've heard before that lemon, whilst acidic outside of the body, does is fact become basic in the body. nto sure on the mechanism, but i'm guessing something compensatory to keep homeostasis.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Yup.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

Maki Riddington
10-22-2002, 08:55 PM
http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Information/Weightloss/Research/garcinia.htm

*** It's also found in lemons, grapefruits and I think oranges.

Spartacus
02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
http://www.onlineinstitute.com/hope/messages/4029.html

Weak acids like the citric acid in lemon juice, or the acetic acid in
vinegar, quickly get metabolized into carbon dioxide and water (ie:
breathed out and excreted through urine), leaving behind alkalinizing
minerals.

this was bothering me, and this explanation makes a lot more sense.