PDA

View Full Version : Meals a day:



Mystic Eric
10-20-2002, 03:15 PM
Ok, I came up with an idea that will help me save some time during a day because time is something I don't have enough of because of school, training, clothes washing, cooking etc.

I'm trying to gain mass right now (I wouldn't really say it's heavy bulking but I'm just doing things slowly). Let's say if I just eat 4 meals a day and make them big meals like 1000 calorie meals and I get 4000 calories for that day, is that way ok? Rather than eating 5 meals a day and eating 800 calories each meal, would 1000 calories for 4 meals be sufficient?

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-20-2002, 03:51 PM
Yup.

Maki Riddington
10-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Take some ALA and maybe even some digestive enzymes. Although most are crap you can find some good ones out there.

YatesNightBlade
10-21-2002, 06:26 AM
Carefull of eating too many calories all at once. If your gonna eat 4 meal instead of 5 ensure most are of the lower GI variety !

AJ_11
10-21-2002, 06:51 AM
Make sure that you are getting enough protein, becasue the less meals that you eat, the more likely you are to get less protein. I also understand that you body can only process so much protein at one time. Actually I think I am going to start a thread on that very subject.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-21-2002, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Take some ALA and maybe even some digestive enzymes. Although most are crap you can find some good ones out there.

Maki, question: Just curious why you think ALA will make a difference in this scenario?

Not questioning you, just curious for your reasoning.

Maki Riddington
10-21-2002, 04:36 PM
At a 1000 cals per meal the bulk of his cals are going to be coming from (hopefully) lower glycemic carbs, not high glycemic carbs.
I believe he eats a fairly substantial amount of carbs at each sitting. Correct me if I'm wrong Eric. Taking ALA will decrease the percentage that will not make it into the muscle cell. And increase the percentage that will be driven into the muscle cell then if he didn't take it at all.

Of course if I'm off about his carb intake then I wouldn't have suggested him taking it in the first place.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Fair enough.

LAM
10-22-2002, 02:03 AM
the ALA will definetly help with the high carb meals

wowbaby
10-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Whats ALA?

LAM
10-22-2002, 02:56 AM
alpha lipoic acid. it is a great anti-oxidant for the liver and it also has some nutrient partitioning properties

Mystic Eric
10-22-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
At a 1000 cals per meal the bulk of his cals are going to be coming from (hopefully) lower glycemic carbs, not high glycemic carbs.
I believe he eats a fairly substantial amount of carbs at each sitting. Correct me if I'm wrong Eric. Taking ALA will decrease the percentage that will not make it into the muscle cell. And increase the percentage that will be driven into the muscle cell then if he didn't take it at all.

Of course if I'm off about his carb intake then I wouldn't have suggested him taking it in the first place.


Well I've actually upped my fat a lot. I have 2 tablespoons of Udo's flax and I'm also eating more protein. I'm not eating as many carbs as I did in the summer.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-22-2002, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by LAM
alpha lipoic acid. it is a great anti-oxidant for the liver and it also has some nutrient partitioning properties

Depends how you look at it.

Thinking of 'nutrient partitioning' in the way that it partitions calories to a more favourable tissue (muscle) over a less favourable one (fat).

Problem is, ALA isn't selective on the types of cell it works on.

AJ_11
10-23-2002, 09:35 PM
Is taking ALA with creatine a good idea. I know that MuscleTech puts it in theirs.