PDA

View Full Version : gotta run 1.5 miles tomorrow

10-21-2002, 05:04 PM
For gym class tomorrow we're being tested on our 1.5 mile run times.

I was thinking along the lines of putting 250ml of water mixed in with 250ml gatorade and drink that right before. Or could this cause cramping? should I drink while I run?

I'll be running this at 9:30am tomorrow, and will probably have 60g oats and 3/4 cup cottage cheese at 7:30am.

What would a runner do for a competition?

Any suggestions?

wooster82
10-21-2002, 05:11 PM
Drinking shouldn't really affect you before you run, unless you drink a lot. I've never had a problem with cramping before, but sometimes you can feel it swishing around in your stomach if you drink too much. Kinda slows you down then. 500 mL of liquid might be a little heavy right before you run though. I would drink the gatorade before I ran, and the water after.

Also, if you are drinking the gatorade for extra energy, just add some extra carbs to your breakfast.

And don't forget to stretch REALLY well. I pulled a muscle running in PE once, and it threw off my lifts for a while.

izitnick
10-24-2002, 05:20 PM
I'm no fitness expert but I wouldn't recommend drinking while you run. During my years as a high school athlete, I found that running while drinking anything is generally a very bad idea.

AdamGberg
10-24-2002, 11:12 PM
the only peeps who run and drink are those 70 pound marathon runners...carb up the night before (pasta, sweet patato) and SLEEP lots! good luck