PDA

View Full Version : how many egg and cans of tuna?

JIG
10-23-2002, 05:38 AM
new to the "proper diet".....how many eggs and cans of tuna should one eat? Just Curious :help:

thanks....JIG
ps just joined today....have enjoyed reading all your threads for the past month

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-23-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by JIG
new to the "proper diet".....how many eggs and cans of tuna should one eat? Just Curious :help:

thanks....JIG
ps just joined today....have enjoyed reading all your threads for the past month

Hey JIG, at the risk of sounding like a complete bastard here, sorry, if you've read all the threads in here for the last month you'd know the answer to your question.

It depends.

It depends how many calories you need to take in each day, which depends on your goals, which depends on your current mind-set.

It depends how much protein and/or fat you need to take in to meet your overall requirements for the day, which depends on your current bodyweight.

So, decide whether you want to drop fat or build muscle. Only if you're relatively new or really fat (or on drugs) can you realistically achieve both at once, so pick which and focus on it.

If you wanna gain, start with calories set at 15-18 x bodyweight.
If you wanna cut, start with calories set at 12 x bodyweight.

Amend calories depending on how much you gain or lose each week (or every two weeks).

Get about 1g protein per lb of bodyweight.

Set fat intake at 30% of daily calories.

When working out your protein sources and fat sources, decide how much you wanna eat of tuna and eggs to derive these amounts and eat them.

Relentless
10-23-2002, 06:25 AM
By way of providing an example, which is not necessarily the BEST way but simply how _I_ am eating:

I now consume 7 eggs and 42 egg whites per week, plus 3-4 tins of tuna. I'd eat more tuna, but I learned how to cook and I am now perfectly capable of getting good protein that doesn't taste like catfood. :D

JIG
10-23-2002, 07:14 AM
thanks Callahan....I guess I should have wrote more into my first post (ever) ....I try to get a good balanced diet all day....and for reaching my goal of protien...I have some (6) eggs and a few cans of tuna a day....was just curious to see how other ppl differ and as for reading all the threads I meant some not ALL

Stray
10-23-2002, 08:52 AM
On average I have about 6 eggs and 1 or 2 cans of tuna.

My gas is legendary far and wide.

Relentless
10-23-2002, 08:56 AM
no sweat, dude...

might want to sub out something else for some of that tuna tho... a couple cans a day is not only potentially bad (mercury) but dontcha find it BORING too?

lean chicken, lean turkey, lean beef, lean lamb, fresh grilled fishes of other kinds . . . gotta get some variety man! Sure cracking open a tin of tuna is EASY but just because you're eating clean doesn't mean you can't eat WELL

something to think on

perfecto
10-23-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Callahan

I now consume 7 eggs and 42 egg whites per week, plus 3-4 tins of tuna. I'd eat more tuna, but I learned how to cook and I am now perfectly capable of getting good protein that doesn't taste like catfood. :D

How do you afford so many eggs a week?

And i agree tuna all day every day really starts to taste like cat food and if you dont use extra sugar free chewing gum, you start smelling like a cat too...hehe

Also arnt arnt whole eggs very high in cholesterol? Does this worry anyone?

GonePostal
10-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Oh no not the eggs question again...
It has not been proven cholesterol in your diet has a direct relationship with the cholesterol in your blood stream. There is a weak indirect relationship. But even that is on shakey ground... I would stay away from eatting ALOT of yolks esspecially if you are overweight. But for a normal healthy young adult eatting whole eggs are fine =). Yet again in moderation (add more whites if you want to eat more eggs without the fat =)).

perfecto
10-24-2002, 12:58 AM
sorry had to ask

restless
10-24-2002, 01:54 AM
Be carefull with tuna. Even the FDA has admited it contains high levels of mercury. If I ate it I wouldn't do it everyday, keep it to around EOD or something like that.

prof
10-24-2002, 06:52 AM
I'm havin about 2 whole eggs and 3 whites everyday, so is this OK?

Relentless
10-24-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by perfecto

And i agree tuna all day every day really starts to taste like cat food and if you dont use extra sugar free chewing gum, you start smelling like a cat too...hehe

Also arnt arnt whole eggs very high in cholesterol? Does this worry anyone?

Q: How do I afford so many eggs?
A: I make a lot of money.

OK, serious answer; it ain't that expensive... I go through 7 'real eggs' a week, which is only about 1/2 dozen, right? The egg whites I buy in containers which cost a little more than a dozen for 2 little cartons that look like milk containers but contain the equivalent of 8 eggswhites in each container. So I eat 3/4 of a container a day. This translates to 5.25 a week. With 2 to a package, I'm going thru say a dozen eggs and 5 packages of white cartons every 2 weeks, for a total cost of ~$15CDN give or take

bradley
10-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by prof
I'm havin about 2 whole eggs and 3 whites everyday, so is this OK? :nod:

Ti1301
10-24-2002, 04:21 PM

It's not hard.
Safeway (Vons) always has 24 pack eggs on buy one get one free sale. Thats 48 eggs right there for about $3.

MWB
10-24-2002, 05:58 PM
Most wholesale places have eggs in bulk. The place I go has 5 dozen large eggs for $3.50. That lasts me all week.

perfecto
10-24-2002, 09:19 PM
i didnt know you could buy egg whites in containers? Is that from the supermarket?

GonePostal
10-24-2002, 09:48 PM
Yup they are "egg beaters". Right beside the normal eggs =)

perfecto
10-25-2002, 12:44 AM
oh sweet, ill be sure to look for some next time

:)