PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Training

JourneyToBuff
10-25-2002, 12:31 PM
Hey. In case you guys don't know me, i'm that 14 year old kid trying to get in the best of shape. My new problem? Baseball training.I've been playing since I was 4, so I have experience, and i've always been in the top 5 players on the team. Problem is, i've never excelled to be the best. I think that has to do with my athleticism. So, I come to you for help. I'm a lefthanded pitcher, so you guys know. Here's my plan.

I'm going to throw somewhere between 150-200 pitches a day, maybe every other day, depending on the soreness of my arm.

I'll be doing one armed barbell curls, and pushups. I was thinking maybe I should do an extra set on my left arm, since I throw with that.

I'll be doing sprints/2 mile runs on a daily basis.

I'm going to give up on all junk food. I have until the summer to get in peak physical condition for baseball, so I can make the team, and hopefully be a starting pitcher like I hope. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

NateDogg
10-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Don't do more sets on one arm than the other. Throwing will build up your arm to where it needs to be to throw harder. Also, throwing strength comes from the torso and legs. Not your arm. Lift accordingly.

EDIT: 150-200 pitches a day is WAY too much. If you are going to throw every day, make it 75-100. I would suggest however 100-150 every other day or every third day to let your arm recover.

_-_v_-_
10-25-2002, 02:23 PM
I've played quite a bit of ball in my time.

Best advice I can give: a good training program which emphasizes explosiveness and speed. Get thee to a gym; thou shalt lift. Verily, I say, thou shalt squat. And there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Seriously, get to a gym. Use the WBB routines. Run sprints on your off days. Swing the bat. And dont' throw everyday; get rest.

But throw long-toss every chance you get. Great way to build up arm strength.

Shao-LiN
10-25-2002, 02:25 PM
If you're going to run that much, eat more. Don't overemphasize one arm versus the other, train them equally. Train your whole body.

Ironing out your diet is a good start.

NateDogg
10-25-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by _-_v_-_
But throw long-toss every change you get. Great way to build up arm strength.

I forgot that one...excellent advice.