PDA

View Full Version : Are Soda Drinks REALLY THAT bad for you??? Myth or Fact?

mista_bob
10-25-2002, 05:53 PM
Are soda drinks like Coke, Mountain Dew, etc... really all THAT bad for you??? I know they are loaded with sugar, but is other stuff with it bad too? like carbonic acid??? Just curious, thanks!
---BOB---

Shao-LiN
10-25-2002, 06:47 PM
The fructose corn syrup in there is pretty bad for you.

_-_v_-_
10-25-2002, 07:09 PM
Soda is essentially pure sugar. Not much good in that.

Paul Stagg
10-25-2002, 08:29 PM
My head hurts.

KO was under $47 today.

roc
10-25-2002, 09:04 PM
you can put steak (i believe it is) in a container of soda, and it will disolve in 48 hours, with that being said, that should be enough for anyone to stop drinking that filthy ****.

AJ_11
10-26-2002, 02:08 AM
I heard that coke can take the rust off pennies. Other than that its useless calories.

thatdaveguy
10-26-2002, 03:26 AM
Coke is also great at cleaning the corrosion off battery terminals.

body
10-26-2002, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by roc
you can put steak (i believe it is) in a container of soda, and it will disolve in 48 hours, with that being said, that should be enough for anyone to stop drinking that filthy ****.

your stomach would dissolve it quicker.
Lemon juice juice would have a similar effect.

So your point is?

and for the other coke this and that, there are quite a few natural foods out there that are acidic and can dissolve things.

jsut drink the diet version if wanting to avoid the sugar.

body
10-26-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
The fructose corn syrup in there is pretty bad for you.

but it is mainly sucrose the sugar present in these drinks

NateDogg
10-26-2002, 10:09 AM
People can argue how bad it really is or is not until they are blue in the face. However, the real point is, especially on a bodybuilding site, that there are better alternatives. If you want to have low body fat, and be as healthy as you can be, keep the soda drinking, especially when it's not diet, to a minimum.

LAM
10-26-2002, 11:20 AM
there is not one good thing about soft drink consumption.

all of the calories are empty, the phosphoric acid leaches calcium from bones. and the simple sugars reak havoc on serum glucose and insulin levels

Stray
10-26-2002, 11:24 AM
You can leave a tooth in coke overnight and it'll partially dissolve due to the sugars and citric acids (and other acids) ....this can also be tested in orange juice too though.

I'm curious how much carbonated drinks effect bloating and what not..

bradley
10-26-2002, 01:53 PM
If I ever feel the need for a soda i usually go with a Diet Rite. Not as tasty as a coke but no sodium, apartame or caffiene.

Y2A
10-26-2002, 02:04 PM
I dunno if its good or bad, but I dont like the stuff. I used to drink it all the time, and cut it out because of the empty calories, and now its crap to me, I actually prefer the taste of water.

NateDogg
10-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Stray, et al, please refer to "Cokelore." These guys are pretty good it seems and I will tend to believe them until I see a tooth dissolved in Coke.

http://www.snopes.com/index.htm

Stray
10-26-2002, 03:02 PM
I love Snopes..when I first discoverd it I spent days reading it.Yeah sure it destroyed alot of childhood lore but what the hey..

They tend to contradict themselves a bit on this one though.

From that site:
In the fall of 1950, a Cornell University professor named Clive M. McCay testified before a select committee in the U.S. House of Representatives that the sugar in Coke caused cavities. And, he said, the phosphoric acid was a dangerous additive. Giving a vivid account that instantly became part of the national folklore, Dr. McCay described how a tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola would soften and begin to dissolve in a period of two days.

Ok so it does dissolve over a few days...when I was in 3rd grade we did the experiment.The tooth didn't poof vanish but after a day or two it did start getting really ugly.

Coca-Cola will not dissolve a tooth (or a nail, or a penny, or a piece of meat) overnight. Anyone who says it does hasn't actually tried such an experiment.

I agree it won't dissolve it overnight.It'll start to eat at it and you won't see it start getting damaged for a day or two.That steak thing is rediculous all I can imagine happening is getting a really soggy tasting steak out of it.

Coca-Cola's top chemist, Orville May, explained to Hobbs [then president of Coca-Cola] and the company's other executives that anything containing sugar and phosphoric acid -- fresh orange juice, for example -- would dissolve teeth over a period of time. The point was people did not hold food and beverages in their mouths for days on end. They swallowed, and their saliva washed away the sugar and acid before lasting damage was done.

This comes from a guy on Cokes payroll....he never studied effects of longterm consumption.Imagine years on top of years of consumption..I think it would have an effect.

I drink Coke so no big deal (my teeth need to be taught a lesson time to time anyhow) but I do know its garbage for ya.

body
10-27-2002, 04:06 AM
the point about coke dissolving your teeth, is not very valid in the real world as you swallow it.

Plus there is salivia in your mouth that will dilute the coke as well.

The_Chicken_Daddy
10-27-2002, 04:15 AM
LAM is right guys, besides taste, sode confurs absolutely no benefits. And even the taste of most is suspect. It makes my stomach churn, so i don't drink the stuff.

body
10-27-2002, 04:28 AM
well in a pub i can have a diet soft drink or Beer?

i would get strange looks if I asked for a pint of milk.

NateDogg
10-27-2002, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by body
the point about coke dissolving your teeth, is not very valid in the real world as you swallow it.

Plus there is salivia in your mouth that will dilute the coke as well.

Actually, over a life-time of swallowing Coke, as Stray mentioned, it can probably be likened to keeping it in your mouth for an extended period of time.

NateDogg
10-27-2002, 06:08 AM
I drink beer in a pub. Not because I would get strange looks ordering milk, but because I love beer. I don't have more than 2 though. That said, we as healthy people do a lot of "strange" things, you have to get used to strange looks :D

Jilla82
10-27-2002, 11:41 AM
whats the deal w/ nutrasweet? its better then sugar? and what about raw sugar that hasnt been processed, is that better then normal table sugar?

body
10-27-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Jilla82
whats the deal w/ nutrasweet? its better then sugar? and what about raw sugar that hasnt been processed, is that better then normal table sugar?

unprocessed sucrose is pretty much the same as processed sucrose. abliet may be slighlty lower in some minerals. But i would not eat table sugar as a source of minerals.

Yanick
10-27-2002, 05:42 PM
come thurs of fri i usually drink a diet pepsi. Just to combat some of the sugar cravings that i have.

Jilla82
10-27-2002, 09:21 PM
i eat sugar free jello after my meals to keep me from going on a ice cream and cake binge. it works, only 10 calories per tube

Ti1301
10-30-2002, 03:52 AM
Coke is also great at cleaning the corrosion off battery terminals.
Drink the coke and use bakign soda for the terminals.
Baking soda is a base just like coke and would be much better since it's not liquid.

jahutch
02-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Ok first, to all the guys who think Coke tastes bad, well frankly, you probably have no business answering this question. I mean, if you don't like the stuff, clearly you are just going to say "get rid of it." There are a lot of people like me... I just LOVE Coke classic. To me, nothing beats an ice cold coke fresh from the soda fountain.

That said, I recognize it is empty calories. So, like all things, I go for moderation. I drink diet, and every now and then (maybe once a week) treat myself to a real one. Once a week won't hurt anyone.

JJ1984
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
You wanna know whats even funnier... People drink Iced Tea(like Liptons, Brisk, Etc.) and think its better but in actuality, there is more sugar and high fructose corn syrup in Iced Teas than in Coke. weird... i HATE canned Iced Tea because of this reason.

spencerjrus
02-21-2005, 10:57 PM

if you think cancer is better than being fat.

and yes unprocessed sugar is much better for you, the simple and easy rule to follow for both bread and sugar is that the darker it is, the better it is for you.

Eddan
02-22-2005, 02:04 AM
well in a pub i can have a diet soft drink or Beer?

i would get strange looks if I asked for a pint of milk.
But it would be so very cool! I definitely have to do it sometime.

Bob: As weather soda is really THAT BAD for you: For many who work out, this whole nutrition thing is more about finding out what is good for you, rather than just avoiding the worst crap.

_-_v_-_
02-22-2005, 07:16 AM
if you think cancer is better than being fat.

For the LAST time, nutrasweet does NOT cause cancer.

spencerjrus
02-22-2005, 09:16 AM
For the LAST time, nutrasweet does NOT cause cancer.

Thats up for debate, the fact remains that aspartme is extremely bad for you and I have never seen any evidence to the contrary.

Relentless
02-22-2005, 09:41 AM
the thing that makes a lot of sodas even worse than just sugar is the caffiene

caffiene + sugar = massive insulin spike

this is part of the reason why a combo meal from a fast food restaurant is so deadly... a Big Mac, Coke and Fries gives you heinous amounts of fat and high-GI carbs consumed along with a drink that spikes the hell out of your insulin levels... thus it pretty much goes straight to your ass.

BFG123
02-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Probably the only time when coke was worth drinking was back when it first came out when they really put cocain in it. Sodas are usless calories...........

Vapour Trails
02-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Thats up for debate, the fact remains that aspartme is extremely bad for you and I have never seen any evidence to the contrary.

Find me evidence that says it's bad for you, from a scientific journal or report, not a wacko website.

Aspartame is one of the most studied synthetic food additives ever and no one has ever found evidence linking it to cancer or any other disease or condition.

Anyway, back to regular coke.

Sometimes you guys make me laugh, how you talk about coke like its crack cocaine of foods or something. Everything in moderation. A can of coke every few days will not kill you or make you fat or give you diabetes.

How many of you put a pound of dextrose/maltodextrin in your post-workout drink?

PS. The pH of your stomach acid is way below that of coke.

_-_v_-_
02-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Agreed.

If I recall correctly, aspartame is not only one of the most extensively-studied food additives but is also, in fact, the most extensively-studied.

To my knowledge, not one reputable, peer-reviewed study exists which correlates aspartame with any ailment whatsoever, whether physical or psychological.

AKraut
02-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I drink diet soda as a treat, usually with a couple ounces of rum in it on the weekends. Diet soda has no calories, but the sweeteners and caffeine might not be the best for some diets. I lost 50lbs of fat in high-school and switching from regular soda to diet or water was one of the major steps I took. Nowadays I can't imagine blowing all that sugar and calories on something as pointless as a softdrink.

fusion210
02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
I heard that coke can take the rust off pennies. Other than that its useless calories.
Pennies rust?

Anyways, one recent thing to consider, however unproved, was a loose link between people chugging carbonated drinks and cancer of the esophogas (throat, at least I can spell throat right).

the doc
02-22-2005, 06:08 PM
but it is mainly sucrose the sugar present in these drinks
body- not in america

Sugar is expensive here in the US due to the government price supports
most of our sweet items use "high fructose corn syrup"

Slim Schaedle
02-22-2005, 06:32 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15367404

I'm not sure if this particular publication outlines what I am going to say, but I posted it b/c it was the first one that came up in my search, and the last line of the abstract should be of interest to you.

Now, from my earlier research in years past, lab rats that consumed only these sweeteners as part of their diet developed cancer. Keep this in mind...

1. Lab rats are small compared to humans
2. They only consumed sweeteners
3. The amount they consumed was estimated to be the equivalent to 200 cans of diet soda per day for a human.
4. I am sure there is more, but I am too lazy to look it all up again right now.

Zearoth
02-22-2005, 06:40 PM
All the myths you guys pointed out on the first page with the dissolving of teeth and steak area all myths.

If you've seen Myth Busters on Discovery, you'll see why.

reaver
02-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I gave up regular pop a few years ago, would get headaches if I didn't have it. Was a long three days.
Anything in moderation is ok, IMO. Treat yourself once in awhile. Couple cans a week probably ok. To me it comes down to how active you are. If you are doing physical job, probably could drink one or two a day and not have probelm. Sit behind a desk, better use more restraint.

I heard they tried dissolving things with coke on mythbuster, its a myth.