PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Venison Medallions

Tryska
10-27-2002, 07:57 AM
ok...i got these venison medallions, marinating in teriyaki right now.

how do i cook em? (don't have a grill)

the doc
10-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Broil, broil, broil ;)

basting with a little olive oil will help greatly with searing since venison has no sig. fat

when you cookin cause i'm coming over ;)

Tryska
10-27-2002, 08:02 AM
in a little bit as a matter of fact.

k...broiling isn't one of the methods i'm good with.

explain to me how.

(i was thinking of seaing them in a hot cast iron-skillet first and then either dry-cooking or with a little olive oil, or braising)

the doc
10-27-2002, 08:30 AM
ok your method sounds fine. If they are tenderloin medallions then you will not need to braise. My favorite way for the tenderest of venison, the filet (the cut from inside the rib cage), is to lightly dust with flour and spices and sear on high heat in the skillet. :drooling:

Brioling is done in the oven, sort of like grilling but from the top instead of the bottom ;)

Borgod Maxximus
10-27-2002, 10:46 PM
What is the nutritional value of venison like compared to like beef or lamb?

Protein? fats?

JIG
10-27-2002, 11:01 PM
Opening day NOV 02....in south TEXAS:)

Tryska
10-28-2002, 05:34 AM
*lol* and the hunt is on, come saturday, huh?

Erbas
10-30-2002, 10:43 AM
amen to that! going this weekend!...I must admit my favorite way to eat venison is to dip it in egg, roll it in flower(salt and pepper), and throw it in the fryer.....not healthy but oh so good....then use some of the cooking oil to make gravy......damn I'm getting hongareee! Venison always sounded funny to me....I just call it deer meat

Shankerr
10-30-2002, 11:17 AM
The hunt at home in Ontario starts next Monday I believe, and I can't go this year :-( First year in about five years I've missed it... but I guess I live 2000km away now, so I can't exactally just stroll home;-) Though I'm gonna have to beat the hell out of my mate Jeff for rubbing my face in it...

I think its too late for this idea now... but marinade them, and sear them in an iron pan with olive oil. You want them to be only med. rare at best. Add soy sauce, basil, a touch of real garlic and some *cough* real butter if you have any...

If you're looking to go healthy, leae out the butter ;-) Won't be as good, but it'll do

Berserker
10-31-2002, 04:30 PM
I like to fry venison on very low for an hour+. 2 or 3 setting. Throw in some onions and you won't need butter or oil. Had so many damn tomatoes from the garden this summer I fried the venison in tomatoes and it is good. Rifle season 2 weeks from tomorrow.
Berserker

Tiare
11-01-2002, 10:15 PM
I like to cook it in a marinade myself in a pan. Make sure your marinade has high acid content (tomatos diced in sauce is good, straight out of the can with some red wine or even white wine). then seer the meat for a couple minutes and pour the marinade over it (deglaze) and cook until done to your liking. really good stuff. Boy, I wish I had some venison right now. hmmm, wonder if I've got any venison right now. gotta go check my freezer...brb

Relentless
11-04-2002, 03:25 PM
I like to marinate venison in a mixture I create that includes red wine, secret spices and a couple of other surprising ingredients.

Then, if it's summer I grill it on the BBQ, if it's winter I sear both sides in a cast iron pan and serve rare.

Berserker
11-04-2002, 05:41 PM
Glad you shared your receipe with us. I didn't find anything surprising. Just kidding.
Berserker

the doc
11-04-2002, 07:28 PM
i love venison!

DIe deer die!

Berserker
11-04-2002, 07:30 PM
At my house having venision is like ordering lobster. I let my date pick the deer in the back yard.

Borgod Maxximus
11-04-2002, 10:30 PM
What is the nutritional value of venison like compared to like beef or lamb?

Berserker
11-04-2002, 10:42 PM
I've heard it has more cholestrol(sp). I would think less fat, just looking at it. I've searched this out before and can't rember any numbers, but same ballpark for protein. As far as the cholstrol thing I think you make up for it by getting chemical free meat. I eat about once week, and other then this wild look in my I am alright.
Berserker

Borgod Maxximus
11-04-2002, 10:51 PM
ok thankyou Berserker