PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm... Diet Coke

grantus
10-30-2002, 05:22 PM
I've been trying to keep my diet clean and to lose some weight, but I can't seem to ditch the diet coke! Over the last few months I've gone from 270lbs to 220lbs by eating right and working out, so I must be doing something right but every once in a while I go on some sort of diet coke binge.

I know diet coke is better than regular and it's okay for me to have some, but with me, I get carried away and end up polishing off the whole 2L bottle every day! I know it's not the best, but I still get a good amount of water every day too.

So, how much diet coke should I be consuming daily? It's hard to not drink at least some during the day. It's like asking a coffee drinker to just stop drinking coffee.

What are your opinions?

Thanks.

Ninja
10-30-2002, 05:31 PM
The occasinal diet coke aint bad for u. The only down side is it can stain your teeth yellow from the ingredients. But the only thing I would to cut back a little bit. Just get smaller soda's (Ie.8oz or 12oz). Or By a 6pack and divide it up for a week. 1 soda a day.

Cause if i aint mistaken diet soda has no calories or carbs.

If all else fails drink lots and lots of water. It should make you not want to drink anything else

Marcel
10-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Nice weight loss. Good job.

Is it regular diet coke? Might be the caffeine in it that's making you want it so much. Try to get the caffeine-free version.

Drink some if you really want it. Personally I wouldn't drink a whole 2 liter bottle everyday. Try to cut down to maybe 1 liter. The cut down some more.

Not really a big deal. Too much phenylalanine might not be a good thing though.

grantus
10-30-2002, 06:18 PM
Nice weight loss. Good job.

Thanks. It's been an interesting last few months!

As for the coke, I know there's basically nothing bad in it, so that's one of my reasons for drinking so much. I've also tried the caffeine-free one and it's the same thing - can't put it down. I'll try restricting it to 1L at most, then work my way down. But I don't think there's really any harm in having it every day, is there? Plus, most of it is water anyway, right?

EngineThatCould
10-30-2002, 06:48 PM
I know what you mean. I have been training for 13 months now, but beforehand I was a complete soda junkie. My tip to you would be just not to buy the stuff at all. Usually soda accounts for an supermarket aisle.....all by itself with chips on the other side. When I'm shopping, I take a peak and keep walking.

The first couple of weeks were hard, but now I don't miss it at all. I will splurge on a Sobe Diet Green Tea now and then, but almost always buy water now.

Look at it this way. Diet Coke isn't exactly bad for you. But can you say it is actually good for you? No. Drink water

EngineThatCould
10-30-2002, 06:49 PM
Oh, yea. Great job on the weight loss! Very impressive and keep at it!

Rastaman
10-30-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by grantus
I get carried away and end up polishing off the whole 2L bottle every day!

WOW. Thats a lot of diet coke. I'm surprised you haven't gotten sick of it already!

Jane
10-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Hehehe...I can easily do an entire 2 liter in one evening when I'm over a friends' house. My friends let me take the nearly empty Diet Coke liter bottles home because I'm like a soda vacuum or something.

I think it's because Diet Coke is forbidden in my house and I have to sneak some in and keep it under my bed if I want it. Note to all parents and future parents: putting silly restrictions on your kids only makes them lose respect for your rules in general.

bradley
10-31-2002, 02:57 PM
Try some diet rite soda. No sodium, caffiene, or aspartame. Granted it doesn't taste as good as diet coke but it may help with those cravings. Comes in other flavors to. White grape=favorite

Shankerr
10-31-2002, 07:41 PM
Hey brother, congrats on the weight loss! Thats some serious progress!

As for the coke.. as fara s I'm concerned, if you're making that kind of progress, who cares? pack it into ya! However, there will come a time when your losses will slow, and it will be essential to lose the coke, or at least part of it. personally, I still drink alot of diet coke for cheating..

What I'd recommend, is switching to caffeine free diet coke.. that might get rid of the craving for caffeine that is probably making you want so much coke... or maybe a caffeine pill for the first while..?? try switching to drinking crystal light out of a coke bottle (sounds retarded, but I had a huge thing for vanilla coke when it first came out, and I got rid of the cravings by simply filling a vanilla coke bottle with crystal light and putting it into the fridge.. it was more of a mental thing of just drinking out of the bottle I think..)

Shankerr
10-31-2002, 07:43 PM
ooh, and if all else fails, try to cut down to at most 1 litre per day.. that will help wuite a bit, if you can't kick the habit alltogether!

good luck, and keep the losses goin!

grantus
11-01-2002, 06:45 AM
Great! Thanks for all the good feedback. I'm gonna try some of the things mentioned here. I don't want to kick the habit completely, I just want to cut down a lot.

Plus, it's hard to resist if I go see a movie (saw 2 yesterday, paid for one, snuck into the other, hehehehe).

Thanks.