PDA

View Full Version : Is this meal plan acceptable?

powerhalf
10-30-2002, 05:49 PM
This is what my normal meal plan is now that i'm dropping weight. (5'10" 280) Please let me know if it checks out and if there are any relatively small adjustments i can make to help it.

breakfast:
2 scrambled eggs
salsa, 100% whole wheat toast
packet of oatmeal

lunch:
Foreman grilled ground sirloin or chicken breast
2 pieces 100% w/w toast, salsa
sweet potato

dinner:
foreman grilled ground sirloin burger or chicken breast
2 pieces 100% w/w toast and the ever present salsa

I eat these about 5 hours apart, and I never feel hungry. I usually mix in a piece of fruit and some carrot sticks somewhere, usually at dinner. I'm following WBB routine #1 and doing 20 minutes of high intensity cardio on days 2, 4, and 6.

Thanks for your input.

EngineThatCould
10-30-2002, 06:55 PM
Not bad, but I would drop toast to just one meal. You need to add some snacks between your meals also. Your goal should be to eat every 2-3 hours. Mix in some lowfat yogurt and cottage cheese as in-between meal snacks. A protein shake would be OK too.

Shao-LiN
10-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Aim for 5-6 meals a day. As for the diet, you trying to cut or bulk? I assume you're cutting at your height and weight. If that is the case, it looks like you are undereating quite a bit.

TreeTrunks
10-30-2002, 10:04 PM
drop the carbs at lunch, too many. You need to eat 5-7 meals a day, not big ones. A couple big ones and the rest of the meals in between kinda small. This helps boost your metabolism. Food choices look great, and it looks like you got the right amounts of protein/fat/carbs in each meal as well, except in meal #2 (lots of carbs)

Btw enginw what wrong with toast? Its a great complex carb.

CheezeHead
10-31-2002, 09:04 AM
..dont toast and potato chips have "extremely" high levels of acrilamide(sp?)(more than the government alows in food fit for human consumption)...a substance proven to cause cancer in laboratory animals..and isnt there talk of putting cancer warnings on said products.?????

.............dont mean to scare anybody....but i dont eat any of it.......and im not making this up..........

EngineThatCould
10-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Agree, it is a good source........so are fruits, vegetables, beans, cereals, and wheat pastas. How about some nutritional variation?

IMO, it is just too much of one thing. I've noticed all too often that people eat the same things over and over and over. I'm sorry, but I am more into real food. I've read the recipes on this board and all they consist of are how to make shakes and mixing salsa in canned tuna.

eclips1
10-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Whats the deal w/ salsa??

TreeTrunks
10-31-2002, 10:54 AM
Cancer cause agents blah blah blah. Everything today gives you cancer, so grant money deprived scientist would like us to think.

Shankerr
10-31-2002, 12:25 PM
I think I could find a way to make any food you could throw at me cause cancer... Think about it, if you feed a lab rat 14 cans of Jolt per day, sooner or later, it could be shown that the increased caffeine causes the rat to develop cancer... Same goes for everything else.. Eat anything in moderation, and as long as it doesn't contain carbon 14, radium or uranium 237, you should be OK :D

As for the diet, its looks solid to me.
-I'd drop out the carbs at lunch.. Maybe go to 1/2 of the sweet potatoes, and no toast?
-At breakfast, add another egg white, and drop the toast (or 1/2 of the oatmeal if you're a real toast fan)
-Add in some high protein snacks in between each meal, and after dinner.. Go for a protein shake, can of tuna or salmon, etc.. Maybe some walnuts (not high protein, but good fats). Try to fire in some green veggies, like broccoli or spinach at one or two meals (I like to have a cup of broccoli at lunch and a spinach salad at dinner) Keep the carrots and fruit though, if for nothing else, adds a bit of healthy flavour

All your meals don't have to be big, drop the size, and spread it out thru the day! Aim for 5-7 smaller meals per day if you can.. Also, drink at least a gallon of water per day..

Do you use something like www.fitday.com to track your prot/carb/fat intake and kCal count? Give it a shot, it really helps you to analyze things, and to see what works with your body, and what doesn't.

Shao-LiN
10-31-2002, 05:01 PM
You mention wheat pasta...I'd probably throw whole wheat bread in with wheat pasta, so what's the problem?

Pffft..cancer. I swear they'll say peanut butter causes cancer sometime down the line.

powerhalf
10-31-2002, 06:04 PM
I was afraid someone would mention the 5-7 meals a day thing. Due to my schedule this is just not practical, but i will input the carbs at lunch change- i'll probably save half of the potato for dinner. I dropped the toast at breakfast this morning too.
If I'm showing some weight loss next wednesday i'm just going to keep eating like this. I don't get hungry except right before meals (and when i smell the grilling meat with salsa on it :) I realize there are technically more efficient ways to do this, but will it really be that detrimental to my progress if i continue this eating schedule?

TreeTrunks
10-31-2002, 06:59 PM
Yes you can impliment 5-7 meals a day. Cook a bunch of food up at one time and save it, put the food in ziploc bags so you have a meal in a bag and all you have to do is microwave the food. Or supplement with MRP's or protein powder. If theres a will theres a way. Just use your head and resources around you.

EngineThatCould
10-31-2002, 11:20 PM
You missed my point entirely. Compare the nutritional values of wheat pasta and whole wheat bread and you will see what I am getting at. Wheat pasta is definitely a better source of protein than the wheat bread, plus it has more riboflavin, iron, niacin, and thiamin than the bread.

I'm not saying he shouldn't eat wheat bread, just saying he shouldn't use it for three meals a day. The guy is trying to formulate a diet and he will soon get bored eating the same thing over and over. That is where people have a tendency to fall off their diets.

Call me weird, but I get just as excited about my planning my diets just as much as my workouts. Variation is fun.

Shao-LiN
10-31-2002, 11:29 PM
You're using wheat pasta and wheat bread as a source of protein?

I agree, variety is good, but if you can stick to it, all power to you. I know a few people who eat tuna at like every meal, hasn't slowed them down much.

bradley
11-01-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN

I agree, variety is good, but if you can stick to it, all power to you. I know a few people who eat tuna at like every meal, hasn't slowed them down much.

I eat the same thing every day except maybe on the weekends. That way I don't have to keep up with the calories everyday. Although I agree variety is good but also time consuming.:)

EngineThatCould
11-01-2002, 07:42 AM
No, I don't rely on pasta as my main source of protein. You can add lean ground turkey to the sauce or even baby clams and shrimp. I'm just saying it makes for a good side, since it is a complex carb and can also boost your protein intake a slight bit at the same time. I do the same with potatoes. Instead of topping with butter or sour cream, I use cottage cheese.

I respect everyone's ideas here and completely understand what works for one person does not necessarily work for another. I just wanted to share some alternatives.

restless
11-01-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
Cancer cause agents blah blah blah. Everything today gives you cancer, so grant money deprived scientist would like us to think.

It's your choice if you want to remain ignorant, but what CheezeHead was saying is true. Once again the food industry is deliberately poisoning you and ignoring data that could save many lifes all in the name of profit. sheeps still chose to walk blinded while they empty their pockets and ruin your health.

Acrilamid is a nice thing, it might be one of the many things that will clean the hearth off all the dumb careless people that make this world what it is. A dose of fries has 1250 times more than what is considered the safe limit. Cool, isn't it?

TreeTrunks
11-01-2002, 08:38 AM
restless how many people die yearly of eating toast? grilled meats? tuna? chewing gum with saccrine? I know I don'y know of anyone of heard of anyone contracting cancer from eating too much of these foods, do you?

Point is, yes these foods mat contain concer causing agents (in lab rats, and we all know how much of our genes we share with rats) , but not in large enough doesages to give people cancer.

To avoid these foods based on some stupid on some stupid lab report is asinine. These foods will most likely end up like salt and eggs. One report says there good, one says there bad, one good one bad and so on.

powerhalf
11-01-2002, 11:47 AM
If I variate I'm likey to f up somewhere. i like to follow a phrase that (i think?) was invented by nasa during the early days of the space program, where they'd try to find the simplest way of solving a problem. "KISS" Keep it simple, stupid. which may have prececed 'knights in satan's service' :)
about the cancer causing agents, there's probably things that cause cancer in damn near everything we eat, just like there's an element of danger in walking down the stairs or tying your shoes.
I'm not too worried about vitamins and minerals because I'm eating well enough and I take a multivitamin after breakfast (I know it's no substitute for real, solid food, but i doubt it's going to hurt).
On a semi-unrelated note, a healthfood person once told my sister at her work that the nutrasweet in diet soda travels through your bloodstream and puts holes in your brain. is there any truth to this.. seemingly outlandish statement?

restless
11-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by TreeTrunks
restless how many people die yearly of eating toast? grilled meats? tuna? chewing gum with saccrine? I know I don'y know of anyone of heard of anyone contracting cancer from eating too much of these foods, do you?

Amazing, you don't know anyone who had cancer, alzheimer, MS or anything like that. Were have you been living? Are you suggesting that the current epidemic of this kind of diseases just happens for no reason? I know plenty of people who die from bad nutritional habits.

Point is, yes these foods mat contain concer causing agents (in lab rats, and we all know how much of our genes we share with rats) , but not in large enough doesages to give people cancer.

Yes, we only share around 90% of our genes with rats, dumb scientists still think they're a good compromise....

To avoid these foods based on some stupid on some stupid lab report is asinine. These foods will most likely end up like salt and eggs. One report says there good, one says there bad, one good one bad and so on.

Alright man. It's you life. Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn....

LAM
11-01-2002, 12:57 PM
your cals are way to low and where are the good fats ? you NEED to fit in at least 2 snacks during the day.