PDA

View Full Version : just bought this protein, is it any good? need opions

jjcool
10-30-2002, 08:54 PM
hi ive just bought this protein,
and need a couple of answers answering please,

1, ive bought this protein powder tonight, but im not very good at the stuff in them,
so can someone tell me if its a good protein powder
heres the specs,

n-large 2 protein

Serving Size: 4 scoops

Total Fat
5g

Saturated Fat
3g

Cholesterol
100mg

Sodium
150mg

Total Carbohydrates
88g

Sugars
29g

Protein
52g

Other Ingredients

Whey Protein Concentrate, Maltodextrin, Fructose, Natural & Artificial Flavors and Lecithin.
Amino Acid Profile Per Serving
L-Alanine....................2.48g
L-Arginine ..................1.20g
L-Aspartic Acid ..........5.40g
L-Cystine....................0.60g
L-Glutamic Acid ........9.24g
L-Glycine....................1.12g
L-Histidine..................0.88g
L-Isoleucine ..............3.28g
L-Leucine ..................5.40g
L-Lysine ....................4.72g
L-Methionine ..............0.92g
L-Phenylalanine ........1.64g
L-Proline ....................3.24g
L-Serine ....................2.68g
L-Threonine ..............3.24g
L-Trypotophan*..........1.08g
L-Tyrosine ..................1.28g
L-Valine......................3.04g
*Naturally occurring amino acid found in protein.

also it says have 4 scoups per serving,
would i be able to use just to scoups if i have one say
breakfast, dinner, bedtime?

or am i losing out on protein by useing 2 scuops instead of 4?

hope someone can answer these 2 questions

thanx

Shao-LiN
10-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Use however many scoops you want to...altho I'd only recommend using it post workout. Whole food is better in the long run for the rest of the day.

Wizard
10-30-2002, 09:39 PM
I m with Shao-Lin who said that it's better to consume it post-workout due to its high levels of sugar. It's not actually a protein powder, it's a weight gainer, thus it contains so much sugar (simple and compex, high glycemic sugars).

jjcool
10-30-2002, 09:43 PM
eh?

its a weight gainer????

i was told by the guy who runs the gym that this is a good protein powder, not weight gainer???

oh well,

but if it is a weight gainer has it got alot of protein in it??

also it says on the tub:
Recommended Daily Dosage:
Use one serving between meals and at bedtime. This formula is highly concentrated, and due to its potency you may want to consider using 1/2 serving two or three times per day.

heres what the tub says:

Prolab N-Large2 is a powerful mass-gaining support formula designed to promote size on the hardest gainers. This potent formula delivers more calories and protein, gram for gram, than our competition. We emphasize the amount of protein per serving since it is the essential nutrient that promotes muscle mass. We use only cross-flow, microfiltered, cold-processed, ion-exchanged whey. This protein has a superior amino acid profile, unbeatable bioavailability, is low in lactose and is instantized for easy mixing without a blender. You simply will not find a protein of this grade used in other weight-gain formulas. This formula also contains a unique blend of carbohydrates to help fuel and support weight training. Fat, although shunned by some, is a highly concentrated energy source (double that of protein or carbohydrates). Fat is also a necessary component of all cell membranes, nerve covering, digestive secretions and most importantly, hormone production. A diet too low in fats may actually impair growth. For these reasons, small amounts of fat are contained in N-Large2. For best results, combine N-Large2 with a sensible diet and intense training program.

im lost with all this, so is it a good powder ?

and thanx in advance,
all your opioins help
;)

TreeTrunks
10-30-2002, 09:57 PM
Ok, yes its a protein powder. Its got a lot of protein in it. Its technically considered a weight gainer because of the amount of carbs it has. A regualr tub of protein powder has like a couple grams of carbs, an insignificant amount.

N 2 large has a lot of sugar in it thus making it good only to take after a workout. So only take N 2 large post workout.

To help you further understand run a search on: Insulin Spike, Post workout, and High glycemic carbs

Borgod Maxximus
10-30-2002, 10:38 PM
I recommend investigating BEFORE making purchases.

TreeTrunks
10-30-2002, 10:49 PM
LOL, most excellent idea borgod

Wizard
10-30-2002, 10:56 PM
IMO it's a nice waste of money cuz you could get almost twice the amount of that high quality protein instead of killing your $ for useless (up 2 a point) carbs and fat that you get anyways through your diet..

jjcool
10-30-2002, 11:05 PM
well i dont think it's a waste of money ?

because:

1, just done a check on the prolab site and even a proper protein powder ( Pure Whey Powder) has only 22g of protein, per serving, compaired to the n-large i bought which has 52 grams, per serving. so the n-large is giveing me more protein per serving than the proper whey protein.

2, i agree it has alot more suger than the whey protein, but im on a bulk diet so i think it would be ideal for me, to have 3 times a day.

thats my opiion anyway

Shao-LiN
10-30-2002, 11:17 PM
You want more protein from whey? Use more scoops. It's not really rocket science.

Saint Patrick
10-30-2002, 11:32 PM
I am using 4 scoops of Nlarge 2 after workout, and it's working for me.

Just like shao-lin said, whole food the rest of the day.

jjcool
10-30-2002, 11:37 PM
stpatrick44

if im on a bulk would it be ok to have a shake first thing in the morning on non traing days?

and then on traing days one shake in morning and one after my workout at night

Saint Patrick
10-31-2002, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by jjcool
stpatrick44

if im on a bulk would it be ok to have a shake first thing in the morning on non traing days?

that's what I was doing, but I was gaining too much fat too quickly. Now I ONLY use 4 scoops after workout, and not at all on off days. If you're concerned about getting enough protein on off days, get some whey.

restless
10-31-2002, 03:20 AM
When I used it I splited 4 scoops between pre and post workout. Worked OK. I would also never take it at other times.

Shankerr
10-31-2002, 12:36 PM
N Large 2 is a good product, but you can't really compare it to proLab Pure Whey... Per scoop, a real whey powder had about 1/2 the calories, 1/10 the carbs, and 2x the protein... Remeber, you have to take 4 scoops of N Large to get roughly the same protein as 2.5 scoops of regular whey powder... thats why N Large seems to cheap for 10lbs, you're really not gettin any more protein out of it than you would in a 5lb tub of a regular powder..

Theres nothing the matter with it though.. It'll work, and pack some meat on ya for sure! its a good idea for morning and post workout since you're bulking.. though I would not mix the full four scoops with the recommended amount of milk.. use at least 600ml of milk, or use 1/2 of a regular serving of the powder, otherwise the shake will be so thick you'll have to eat it with a spoon..

Wizard
10-31-2002, 12:38 PM
stpatrick44

Yea this way you get more from the protein.
But don't think that huge amounts of protein will make a great difference. Timing is more important.

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Wizard

Yea this way you get more from the protein.
But don't think that huge amounts of protein will make a great difference. Timing is more important.

Timing...explain?

NateDogg
10-31-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Borgod Maxximus
I recommend investigating BEFORE making purchases.

Just in case ANYONE missed this... :D

Excellent advice!

BTW, NLarge2 is a good product, IMO.

beastin v6
10-31-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Wizard
IMO it's a nice waste of money cuz you could get almost twice the amount of that high quality protein instead of killing your $ for useless (up 2 a point) carbs and fat that you get anyways through your diet..

agree

bradley
10-31-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11

Timing...explain?

What I think he means is that just because you are ingesting large amounts of protien doesn't mean that you are going to build more muscle. Time your protien intake (and type of protien)
around your training, and stick to getting one gram of protien per pound of bodyweight.

Post workout would be the ideal time to take N'Large and like Shao-Lin said get the rest of your protien from whole foods.

jjcool
10-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Shankerr

what i do is have one first thing in morning on none gym days

and 1 in morning and one on post workout on gym day

but im thinking of one first thing in morning and one before bed on none gym days just half it,

i.E 2 scoups in morning and 2 scoups before bed?
do u think that will be ok even on a none gym day?

i dont use the recommended amount of milk,

what i do is use 4 scoups and a pint of whole milk in a pint glass

bradley
10-31-2002, 05:17 PM
Shankerr

what i do is have one first thing in morning on none gym days

and 1 in morning and one on post workout on gym day

i dont use the recommended amount of milk,

what i do is use 4 scoups and a pint of whole milk in a pint glass

Why rely so heavily on a supp, unless you have trouble getting in enough calories throughout the day? That many simple sugars will cause an insulin spike although this will be helped by mixing it with milk.

jjcool
10-31-2002, 05:20 PM
bradley

its like you said m8, i have trouble getting in enough calories throughout the day.

bradley
10-31-2002, 05:25 PM
bradley

its like you said m8, i have trouble getting in enough calories throughout the day.

With that being said, you gotta do what you gotta do.:)

jjcool
10-31-2002, 05:28 PM
so i was thinking of taking the n-large 2 shake

one first thing in morning and one before bed on none gym days just half it,

or should i have 4 scoups i mornng and 4 scoups before bed?

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 07:47 PM
so i was thinking of taking the n-large 2 shake

one first thing in morning and one before bed on none gym days just half it,

or should i have 4 scoups i mornng and 4 scoups before bed?

just eat it and don't worry too much about it. Like you said that you are having trouble getting enough cals. then I wouldn't even worry about getting fat from the simple sugers. When trying to bulk you are going to gain a little fat you could always cut later.

Originally posted by bradley
Why rely so heavily on a supp, unless you have trouble getting in enough calories throughout the day? That many simple sugars will cause an insulin spike although this will be helped by mixing it with milk.

I don't think that milk would cause an insulin spike whatsoever, becasue it contain a carb called lactose which digests slowley.

jjcool
10-31-2002, 07:51 PM
thanx AJ_11

what would you suggest m8

should i take 4 scoups in morning and bedtime, even on none training days?

or just 4 scoups before bed

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 08:29 PM
Have some cottage cheese with Natty ( natural ) PB or Flax before bed. CC contains caesin which is slow digesting; fat is also slow digesting therefore it will take longer to break down muscle catabolism. I would take the N large in the morning becasue insulin levels are low therefore the protein will get absord at a quicker rate. I drink about 3-5 shakes a day. I love chocomilk, and wouldn't touch the nestle sh**.

jjcool
10-31-2002, 08:39 PM
i eat the regualr crunchy peanut butter

this is why i bought the n-large because i cant eat much it makes me just sick if i eat alot,

this is what i eat in a day,

morning - oatmeal,

lunch - tuna sandwich (on 4 baps, or 4 slices of bread)

dinner - chicken sandwich with cottage cheese (on 4 baps, or 4 slices of bread)

before bed 2 slices of bread with peanut butter

im not sure how many caolries that lot is ?
but i think its no where near 2.500 - 3000 calories
plus im not sure if theres enought protein in this diet

thats why i thought the n-large would come in handy,

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 08:53 PM
i eat the regualr crunchy peanut butter

this is why i bought the n-large because i cant eat much it makes me just sick if i eat alot,

this is what i eat in a day,

morning - oatmeal,

lunch - tuna sandwich (on 4 baps, or 4 slices of bread)

dinner - chicken sandwich with cottage cheese (on 4 baps, or 4 slices of bread)

before bed 2 slices of bread with peanut butter

im not sure how many caolries that lot is ?
but i think its no where near 2.500 - 3000 calories
plus im not sure if theres enought protein in this diet

thats why i thought the n-large would come in handy,

Try this

morning - N large, oatmeal

- tuna sandwich w/ real mayo (on 4 baps, or 4 slices of bread)

2 - 3hrs later sweet potatoe w/ steak and veggies

dinner - chicken, rice with cottage cheese + veggies

2 - 3hrs later - Veggies with some other meat

before bed - cottage cheese + natural peanut butter

The reason that I say natural is becasue the other suff contain suger in it, as well as transfat. Natural is better for you.

Wizard
10-31-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by bradley

What I think he means is that just because you are ingesting large amounts of protien doesn't mean that you are going to build more muscle. Time your protien intake (and type of protien)
around your training, and stick to getting one gram of protien per pound of bodyweight.

Post workout would be the ideal time to take N'Large and like Shao-Lin said get the rest of your protien from whole foods.

Exactly :)