PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Amateur Night

Tryska
06-24-2001, 04:43 PM
Ok.....don't know quite how to do this, but i'll give it a shot....

Goals:

to cut to about 18-20% Bf

to maintain muscle mass while i cut...I don't anticipate major strength gains while doing this, but after I'm cut to where I want, i'll re-vamp my goals.

to be underestimated.

to lift at a level where i will actually be willing to post my lifts. *lol*

Tactics:

Eat Clean - 1800 - 2100 cals a day.
3 meals, 1 pre-workout snack.

Cardio - 4 Mornings a week.

Weights - 3 Day Split

Day 1: Chest/Tris/Shoulders

Bench Press 3x8-10
DB Incline Flyes 3x8-10
Incline Chest Press 3x10-12

Dips 3x10-12
Tricep Extensions 3x10-12

Cheerleaders 3x8-10
Shrugs 3x10-12

Day 2: Back/Bis

Lat Pulldown 3x8-10
Machine Rows 3x8-10
Standing pullover w/Pulldown 3x10-12

Db Curl/Hammer Curl superset 3x12
Concentration Curls 3x12

Day 3: Legs

Leg press 3x10-12
Walking Lunges 3x12
SLDLs 3x8-10
Ab/Adductors 3x10-12
Seated calf raise 3x15-20

Supplements:

EPO/Flax Seed Oil
Guggulsterones
ECA Stack

I will be updating this once a week with changes, gains, losses etc.

Tryska
06-24-2001, 04:51 PM
maintained weight this week, PMS caused me to slack on doing cardio in the morning, work caused me to slack on doing it in the evening. did cardio exactly twice this week. Lifted heavy on back/bi's on Tuesday, had to skip Chest/Tri's because of work, eating has been on point, and my hormones got back to normal today. did a hardcore leg workout, increased leg press by 50lbs for 2 sets, increased lunges by 20lbs, increased sldl's by 10 (from all time high), increased ab/adductors by 10, and increased calf raise reps from 12 to about 18, sometimes 20. ouchies...i can't feel my legs. and i want to throw up.

Lost 1% BF, allegedly.

Goals for next week? back on the cardio horse, back into the split schedule, and making sure I eat enough. oh and I will not let Work suck my personal time away. especially considering i don't get paid for it. :rolleyes:

Alex.V
06-24-2001, 08:15 PM
*COUGH* Squats? *COUGH*

:D

c_8nOM
06-24-2001, 08:18 PM
*deads*

Tryska
06-25-2001, 06:09 AM
*lol*

how did i know that was coming....

I know, I know.....all in good time.....the bar is not my friend yet, but we're working on building a relationship...

and although it's not noted in there....occassionally I switch up legs and do either db squats or machine squats. However it seems easier (gravity?) to get ankles to azz with the leg press at the moment.

as for conventional deads.....that is something else i'm working up to....pt issues on that one.

Anthony
06-25-2001, 06:43 AM
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent. Nuff said." tuttut

Tryska
06-25-2001, 06:49 AM
That is so wrong!!

they are explanations..not excuses....and I'm a woman and I'm always right, so shut up. :p

IceRgrrl
06-25-2001, 07:29 AM
Gotta stick up for Tryska on this one...remember that we females have different builds than most of you guys. Our centers of gravity and strengths lie in different areas...

I also have had trouble with proper form/execution on squats/deadlifts due to long legs/short torso, most of my mass concentrated below my waist (legs, from hockey). It causes a whole different balance issues than w/guys, who usually have shorter legs and more upper body mass.

Sounds like you are taking the smart road, Tryska.

Tryska
06-25-2001, 07:33 AM
Thanks IceRgrrl!

I'm glad you feel my pain...eventually though, I want to be able to do deads and squats..now is just not the time...:)

Alex.V
06-25-2001, 07:50 AM
Sumo deads. No more excuses, and no more "other people posting" in Tryska's journal.

Tryska
06-25-2001, 08:01 AM
and Belial has spoken.

dr shawn comes back from vacation this week...i'm gonna start pressuring him on sumos now. better?;)

Tryska
07-01-2001, 09:12 AM
what bizarre stats this week....

hmm....magically gained 2 lbs. in one week, tape measure hasn't moved much...the calipers flew like crazy, so i'm presuming it's water, but then.....why wouldn't the tape also go up? BF% acually went down like 2/10ths, but that's negligible...

so either i'm bloating like crazy, despite the cleasing of this past week, or i gained muscle.....which would be odd......anyways...i'm just gonna call it maintaining until i stop feeling so puffy.

eating was okay this past week, maybe a tad high in sodium, considering the lunches out.

stuck with my regular cardio schedule, and sleep was good.

now..on to weights:

Tuesday was Chest/Tris/Shoulders:
did incline chest press first, increased by 7.5lbs for 10 reps on the second set, then by a grand total of 15 for 8 reps my 3rd set.

increased db flyes by 5lbs, although form got poor in the middle of my set due to eye-candy distraction. will work on focusing from now on.

did a burnout pulldown set for the hell of it...and shoulders stayed the same.

Thursday was Back/Bi:

Increased row by 5 lbs x15 (!) for first set, then 15lbsx8 for next 2 sets.

Upped DB Bicep curls by 5lbsx10.

Did DB Pullovers for lack of space..that was fun...nice ab workout too. and did some assisted pullups, had to go low on the weight though, because my form got shoddy, and needed to re-focus.

Saturday - LEGS!!

my favorite day of the week. Added in SUMO DEADS, and lost my squat rack virginity. It was fun...but they are definitely gonna have to go on back day and not leg day. No one mentioned I would hurt up to my neck though. *lol* it's all good.

Upped Leg Press by 20lbx8-10 for 3 sets.

SLDLs stayed at last week's high for 10x3.

One set of ab/adductors, skipped the lunges, did 3 sets of calf raises - increased by 20lbsx15 for last 2 sets, and threw in some extensions.

however, i'm really not feeling the leg work today, although i'm feeling the deads.

anyways...this week's goal is to watch that sodium content, definitely increase the water intake, increase the cardio intensity a touch, and stay with the weight ranges for a bit.

Gyno Rhino
07-01-2001, 09:21 AM
What the hell are "cheerleaders"???

Franco
07-01-2001, 09:26 AM
I was wondering the same.

Maybe she dressed up as a cheerleader and uses dumbells instead of pom poms to cheer:confused:

Tryska
07-01-2001, 09:27 AM
best description?

ummm......Dumbbell Front Raise/OHP combo for each rep?

fran....ha ha...your a regular comedian....:p

Gyno Rhino
07-01-2001, 09:37 AM
Ahh.. I know what you're talking about now.

Tryska
07-08-2001, 11:50 AM
so for past 8 months I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds.....yet my BF% keeps going down? :confused:

how is that possible?

anyways...I'm sick and tired of this garbage....but what the hell can i do about it? absolutely nothing..apparently no amount of research, nutritionists, dieticians, trainers, and doctors can remedy the situation, so why freakin bother.

anyways...got in 3 days of cardio, kept to the usual weights schedule, made no increases..oh except upped the bench press 20lbs....for one set...and actually journaled calories and a made a concerted effort to get in at least 1800 calories a day.....how is it i can eat anywhere between 900 and 2000 calories a day and not lose a lick of weight, yet if i eat 2400 calories a day for a week i gain 4lbs of fat? not water...fat. :mad:

oh...on the supplement front I added in kelp, to supply some extra iodine for the guggul to help my thyroid do it's thing with. And also another herbal for hair, skin and nails, which includes MSM, glucosamine, and silica.

Tryska
07-15-2001, 02:01 PM
Hmm....very strange week. No changes in Stats because I don't really have accurate figures at the moment. In any case....i got the eating under control, and made a conscious effort to get in at least 1600 cals a day...sometimes even closer to 1900....so that was good.

I also did cardio 6 times this week. That seems to help more then every other day does....however, on Teusday I devloped pain in my joints. all of them apparently....knees, ankles, and wrists....so i figure it is either overtraining, thyroid complications, or possibly the new supp. I also started Nitrocuts yesterday.....it seems good so far, although i'm not sure when to up the dosages....

let's see....the lifting i took it easy this week....no increases really, because the joint pain kept getting in the way. I;'m taking this whole week off from lifting....well at least until Thursday, when I'll do legs....and I will be keeping up witht he cardio.

also, I think what i'm gonna do on this rest week, is take advantage of the pool here. I went yesterday, and mixed up some aquajogging sprints with some regualr laps, as well as some different lifts using bodyweight. Let's see...I did some lat raises, bicep curls, and bench dips. Also some squats and lunges...and pushups against the pool wall, and some crunches. It was interesting....surprisingly harder then i thought it would be...but i do have some residual soreness.

that's about it for this week.

Tryska
08-05-2001, 12:02 PM
whoo!

after 2 weeks of rest (from weights) and re-organization, i've come up with some new stuff.....

First things first - i'm revamped the diet, to manage insulin response, and made it Isocaloric with no grains, save a bowl of oats each day. The food actually comes calorie-wise, to about 1675kcals, but add in 3 spoons of flax and i should be up closer to about 2000.

i'm still doing the cardio....but i think i'm reducing my weight training to twice a week, at maximum, head-spinning, knee shaking intesity. I seem to get the best poundage increases by doing that.

Lost another 2%BF, i guess over the last 3 weeks, but i think it was over the past week to be honest....

The change in lifting strategy is 12-10-8 for all lifts... with the next session starting with the previous weeks 10. So far it's been bringing excellent gains.

Not much to note, except a 5lb increase on bicep curls; 20lbs on lat pulldown, 15 on row, 20lbs on bench....and i have no idea where my legs are..probably the same, since i've had to do legs, low/weight high rep, because my one knee still isn't up to par yet. I wish the damn thing would hurry up and give me my usual mobility back. geez.
:rolleyes:

Tryska
08-12-2001, 10:47 AM
wow this week sucked. Energy-wise I hit a brickwall on Sunday...went to the doc on monday, he's referring em to an endo, and i guess it's time for meds. *sigh* well i they will help me not feel crappy, then that's all that matters. of course i don't see this new doc until next month, so i hope i can just carry on for the next few weeks.

The diet is going well.....no real carb cravings....and i've lost a lb, and 1%BF. Don't know if it's real or not...so i guess it's wait and see time.

I forced myself to get at least 25 minutes cardio in each day this week, no matter of exhausted i felt, so i'm proud of myself for that. However, my weights are suffering...Shawn is taking it real easy on me, because he just knows when he sees me, what gear I'm in and adjusts accordingly. So since this was a 1st gear week, we've been doing sissy workouts. *sigh*

obviously, no weight increases this week...matter of fact i had to take it down a notch...but it's an accomplishment just making it to the gym, so i think all in all i did good.

I've got to watch my supp intake, because right now i'm using them to self-medicate, but if i stay within the rules and and dosages...i should be fine...i just have to hang in there for a few more weeks, til i can get some good drugs. :D

Tryska
08-13-2001, 06:58 AM
just got into a major fucking fight with my best friend. That bastard conbtacted me today to say that he was thinking about my doctor drama over the weekend, and he thinks it's because I lift weights. he said, and i fucking quote," You need to just leave this bodybuilding shit alone, eat a cheeseburger, and stop concentrating so much on the gym. You'll get too big and look like Chyna. Besides, i think there's nothing wrong with you and you are just being a hypochondriac. just get some rest."

I wanted to sail through that phone and throttle the man. A. without a little juice there is no way i'm going to get "too big". B. With all the focus i've been putting on my body, i know when something ain't right. I have a self-diagnosis, but i'm waiting for the doc's final confirmation, or possibly new revelations. C. well fuck that motherfucker.

okay..that's it. time to focus on work.

Tryska
08-20-2001, 09:05 AM
just realized i never updated over the weekend...hee hee....no better time then the present.

Well i am feeling phenomenal, and I think this new diet strategy is really working like a champ. I've got energy again, i feel clear-headed and upbeat, and i'm running lean and mean. this could be due to one of two things:

a. I tweaked the protein levels down a touch and upped the fat some - carbs stayed relatively the same.

b. I was just adjusting over the past 2 weeks from high carb to low carb (wihich would be a textbook response)

either way, something good is going on.....the people who know me best have commented on my "glow", i've been getting hit on left and right, and even people in stores are like ultra-friendly. In my head i'm the same old b*tch, but i guess i'm putting out some sort of "i'm friendly" vibe...who knows....

so that's the diet squared away.....now onto training...

Did cardio 6 days this week, and I feel so much better for it...i've gotten to that place where i crave the endorphin high, and feel clean afterwards. Before I used to just enjoy it when it happened. Also, lifting is getting back to normal, I am back up to my usual weights, so I think i can look forward to strength gains from here on in.

My knee is getting softer and softer too...and flexibility is definitely improving....i was able to lay flat on the floor the other day with my legs spread wide (i forgot what that stretch is called - almost a front split, but not) that's been a goal for a good while, and i'm holding plank position for upwards of a minute....still working on real pushups..but i'm getting there.

and my muscles are getting hard....which is cool too. Looking forward to a serious leg session tonight (although it's a weeknight, and the gym is never conducive to a hard ass leg session on weeknights, but still i'll go for broke) And last friday night, i spent an entire session focusing on shoulders (with abs thrown in). My delts disappeared once i started doing bicep curls with perfectly strict form..*lol* okay, well that and not working them for a few weeks - bad tryska :( but they responded with a really good pump, and firmed up by the next day quite nicely...so I've really gotta focus on doing them during my chest and tri sessions.

well that's about it for this week.

Yaz
08-20-2001, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Tryska
....i was able to lay flat on the floor the other day with my legs spread wide (i forgot what that stretch is called - almost a front split, but not)

....... Can you post a picture and show us exactly what you mean? :D

Tryska
08-20-2001, 09:18 AM
damn. why didn't i see that coming...*lol* i guess i figured no one read this..wrong!

and ummm....no.:)

Yaz
08-20-2001, 09:19 AM
*snaps fingers*

Tryska
09-04-2001, 06:44 AM
Ha. I'm not very good at keeping a journal updated huh? It's like taking meds...I'm really good for like the first couple days, and then well i just forget.

In any case - Diet is still going good....I think i drop in and out of mild ketosis, sometimes it's deep ketosis....I'm wondering whether I should just make the leap and do a full on CKD? The results would be much faster then what I'm doing now (which is still yeilding, 1 - 1.5lb loss per week, without muscle loss). Upside would be, the carbups on weekends....which would be a bit less restrictive then this isocaloric is (although i wonder if it's even isocaloric anymore to tell the truth). Anyways...it's a toss-up btwn going with what's currently working...or raising the intensity.

Cardio - now that i don't have a car anymore, I am doing much more walking, which is cool...plus i get dropped off at the gym everynight, and i leave work ealrier....so I've been doing fairly intense cardio...mixing it up with 20-25minute intervals and 30-35minute endurance type cardio. That's going well. Did 5 days last week, and chilled out this entire weekend, with some incidental walking tossed in.

Weights - I've found that resting 2 weeks on upperbody definitely helps me grow and harden up. And also let's me make good gains. Let's see, back/ and bis this week. Upped 10 on pullups, and 15 on rows. Standing Bicep Curls stayed the same - (turned out i was getting very sloppy with form and throwing my delts into it, just to get the ego boost of going heavier, but now that I'm focusing on keeping my elbows at my sides, I've maintained.) I anticipate raising that next week. Did well on preacher curls, since i started using proper form on the regular curls, I can now do the same weight on preachers. Good Sign. :).

Legs i have to do every week, or they seem to get soft and not progress - Ummm...did ball squats again, extensions (upped those by about 20, but i had fresh horses), curls, and SLDLs...which i need to up, because they are stagnating. Friday nights suck for a leg workout...I can't get my lunges in, because there is no space, and the leg press and squat rack are always taken...it's starting to get on my nerves. Perhaps, since I'm going in ealrier this week it will be a bit better.

My knee stiffened again this week.....(wonder if it's the extra walking). In any case....that's about it.