PDA

View Full Version : effects of beer on bulking

euphoricsoul01
10-31-2002, 02:19 AM
a friend of mine is trying to bulk. he is around 18 with high metabolism. he went off to college, and like most i told him his metablosim will die down. he has unlimited meal plan and he says eats at least 4 times a day untill he is packed full. and after 2months he hasnt gained more than 2 lbs.

he drinks 3-4 times a week, maybe 5 beers each time. what effect would the beer have on bulking? he thinks it will help it out since it is alot of cals.

Saint Patrick
10-31-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by euphoricsoul01
he thinks it will help it out since it is alot of cals.

Well he's half right. It will help out if he's looking to get a big gut. Beer is mostly empty calories with no nutritional value.

restless
10-31-2002, 03:16 AM
It will also lower testosterone and inhibit protein synthesis for the next 24 hours. So in the day following drinking he can forget about gaining muscle. It works great if the purpose is getting a bigger gut though.

Erbas
10-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Helps in getting laid though!:alcoholic

LAM
10-31-2002, 11:09 AM
alcohol and protein do not go together. when combined protein digestion is severely hampered.

Wizard
10-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Exactly, you can't fool urself by saying that beer has lots of carbs, therefore it aids in the bulking progress. Alcohol is always bad but it's ur choice.
Moderate amounts of alcohol could have a good impact though, mostly mentally, because you don't feel so restricted and independent.
Thanks god, I hate beer.

Yanick
10-31-2002, 12:59 PM
limited drinking would be okay, because lets face it, how many of us want to be Mr. Olympia?

I drink on the weekends usually, and i've been losing fat just fine, but i make sure to limit it to 1 at most 2 days during the week.

Jilla82
10-31-2002, 01:19 PM
why drink beer?? just chug shots. less calories

gino
10-31-2002, 02:02 PM
Alcohol conflicts with many processes beneficial to the muscle cell, especially hydration, which is essential. I don't think it has much effect on weight gain, but does hinder muscle gain.

doesn't stop me from drinking though...

BennettBoy
10-31-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by gino

doesn't stop me from drinking though...

me either:D

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by LAM
alcohol and protein do not go together. when combined protein digestion is severely hampered.

If you knew that you were going to drink say friday. When is it ideal to work out. Friday, or Saturday. When should I eat a meal before or after drinking.

Berserker
10-31-2002, 04:24 PM
I find it best to eat before and after. Though this is where you get the gut from. Stay away from bar food. I don't know about protien digestion, but after a good workout I like to eat hard and drink hard. The only problem with drinking the next day is if you have problems with hangovers. Drink tons of water. I often do a short wo in the morning before work and feel great. I may not be much of a bodybuilder but I take my drinking seriously.
Berserker

Shao-LiN
10-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Well, if you workout on Friday, your body jumpstarts the muscle repair. Now, if you inhibit protein synthesis on the same day, what do you think would happen?

Excuse my common sense approach if I'm wrong, but it just makes sense to me that you'd be better off separating drinking days from lifting days.

Clark
10-31-2002, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Jilla82
why drink beer?? just chug shots. less calories

nope. more cals in one shot than in one beer.

bradley
10-31-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Clark

Well it depends on if you are talking about an Amstel Light or a Newcastle. tuttut

Stray
10-31-2002, 05:49 PM
My studies of beer on bulking are inconclusive...I'll have to do more in depth research tonight and get back with my findings.

:alcoholic:angel:

Berserker
10-31-2002, 06:00 PM
Not sure about the cals in beer vs shots Clark. Maybe if your drinking chick shots are something with alot of sugar. One site I saw said most 80 proof was around 80 cals, maybe little less. My expereince is drink what you want. 96 cals in miller lite. If your drinking enough that 16 cals is a differance your my hero. Though the mix does make a bit of differance. Your drinking should be like your work out you need to change excercises every now and then. Thats not to say you shouldn't get good at one of them.
Berserker

AJ_11
10-31-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
Well, if you workout on Friday, your body jumpstarts the muscle repair. Now, if you inhibit protein synthesis on the same day, what do you think would happen?

Excuse my common sense approach if I'm wrong, but it just makes sense to me that you'd be better off separating drinking days from lifting days.

I actually knew that but wanted to make sure. I thought that maybe drinking the night before would hinder my gain the next day or something, other than that I am really respondsible when it comes to drinking. I usually just watch my friends(some of them are even more muscular than I am) get sh*tfaced all the time and join in the FUN once in a while.

P.S. It's halloween and it's my FUN night. I am off :alcoholic :D

11-01-2002, 09:51 AM
I've been getting wasted, 2x / week for the last 3 weeks while bulking. The rest of my diet is solid, but I've noticed the only thing I've been gaining is a gut.

what about beer's effects on cutting? I'm starting a short cut phase and may get hammered only 1x / week. Kinda as my cheat day.

AJ_11
11-01-2002, 11:04 AM
When cutting you have to look at cals in vs. cals out. Count the beer towards your calories. (Mind you that they are preety much empty cals.) And you should be fine,

Remember it is your cheat day. And if you read my post from above I went drinking last night but still lost 1llb from the days prior. That would be good but the thing is I am bulking:scratch:

I should have ate more during the day. Oh well I am going to make up for it today.

BennettBoy
11-01-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Avatar
I've been getting wasted, 2x / week for the last 3 weeks while bulking. The rest of my diet is solid, but I've noticed the only thing I've been gaining is a gut.

LOL Avatar.

The biggest problem with going out and partying I have is it basically causes me to skip 2-3 meals. At least 2 at night and 1 in the morning when I sleep in too late.:D

So it hampers my bulking too.

11-01-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by AJ_11
if you read my post from above I went drinking last night but still lost 1llb from the days prior.

The 1lb loss is from dehydration. Your body loses a ton of water from drinking alcohol.

From a night of beer guzzling, having sex, and not eating any food, I'm usually ripped in the morning.

Shao-LiN
11-01-2002, 04:08 PM
I dunno, if you're gonna drink, I imagine the last thing on your mind is how many cals you're taking in.

AJ_11
11-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Shao-LiN
I dunno, if you're gonna drink, I imagine the last thing on your mind is how many cals you're taking in.

Very true. I do realize that i lost some water weight due to dehydration, but my point was that I didn't gain any weight. Although I am preety smart when it comes to drinking. Usually I go One Beer, One water. That's actually to save money. I don't get ripped but I do get a little buzz. So I don't think that it was all dehydration. I probable burn a few cals dancing with preety girls all night.

Majestic
11-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by LAM

I dunno about the word 'severely'.

I looked up some studies this morning, and the bottom line is that most of what I stumbled across indicate a temporary *decrease* in protein synthesis, not a complete halting of it. And there is certainly NO indication that it lasts "....24 hours...".

One of the studies I viewed indicated a 23-26% decrease in protein synthesis. So, you're still growing, but for a short period of time, you'll only grow at 70%+ of your normal rate of growth.

So maybe what we're looking at here is a question of timing?

I agree it's important to note that alcohol inhibits, or "decreases" protein synth. I think it's also important to note that many/most aspects of protein synthesis stop around 24-36 hours after a workout.

My split, for instance, is Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.

The protein synthesis induced from Thursday's workout is finished by the time I'm drinking on Friday night, and the "temporarily decreased protein synth." phase is over by the time I'm lifting on Saturday.

See you at the bar on Friday.

restless
11-02-2002, 10:59 AM
Posted by Bryan Haycock at the HST forum:

"Understand that alcohol directly inhibits protein synthesis. In other words, whenever you take a drink, you stop growing. The inhibition of protein synthesis lasts for at least 24 hrs. So, my advice would be to not drink as long as you are trying to make gains...

Here's a few references:
1: Acute alcohol administration inhibits the refeeding response after starvation in rat skeletal muscle.
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002 Oct 15

2: Alcohol impairs protein synthesis and degradation in cultured skeletal muscle cells. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2001 Sep;25(9):1373-82.

3: Alcoholic myopathy: biochemical mechanisms.
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2001 Aug 1;63(3):199-205.

4: Alcohol myopathy: impairment of protein synthesis and translation initiation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2001 May;33(5):457-73.

5: Comparative effects of acute ethanol dosage on liver and muscle protein metabolism. Biochem Pharmacol. 2000 Dec 15;60(12):1773-85.

6: Inhibition of muscle protein synthesis by alcohol is associated with modulation of eIF2B and eIF4E. Am J Physiol. 1999 Aug;277(2 Pt 1):E268-76.

7: Protein metabolism in alcoholism: effects on specific tissues and the whole body. Nutrition. 1999 Jul-Aug;15(7-8):604-8.

8: Studies on the time-course of ethanol's acute effects on skeletal muscle protein synthesis: comparison with acute changes in proteolytic activity. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 1997 Aug;21(5):792-8.

9: Time-course changes in skeletal muscle protein synthesis in vivo in response to ethanol. Biochem Soc Trans. 1995 Aug;23(3):467S.
"

chris mason
11-02-2002, 11:10 AM
All of the above statements concerning alcohol may or may not be true, but remember one thing, some of the biggest and strongest men in the world consume alcohol on a regular basis. I rarely drink, but I have never had a night of drinking adversely effect my training in any manner (I don't drink to the point where I am hurting the next day).

restless
11-02-2002, 12:36 PM
I never drink. Haven't done so in two and a half years. Alcohol to me is one of the most destructive drugs there is, I never used it(or any other drug fo that matter) in moderation though. I don't miss it at all.

LAM
11-02-2002, 01:13 PM
the effects of alcohol protein synthesis and protein digestion are totally sepreate topics

restless
11-02-2002, 01:27 PM
Agreed. I never said they weren't.

Majestic
11-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Bryan Haycock can say that all he wants.

All of the studies I checked today, and I checked about 7, used laboratory rats that were injected with ethanol. That's not the same as consuming a Miller Lite. Or two. Or even 6.

Secondly, you do not "stop growing". That's ridiculous. In ALL of the studies I checked, they indicated a *decrease*, I repeat, a *decrease* in protein synthesis, some by as much as 26%, which lasts for a few hours.

I can live with myself if I'm only growing at 74% of my abilities for a few hours.

I respect (although I do not applaud) your hatred for alcohol, but I also respect the many "regular guys" I know that are huge, and drink all the time.

It's COPMLETELY newsworthy to note that protein synthesis is decreased (although not even CLOSE to being halted) for a short period following alcohol consumption. That's why we're here....so that we can add up all the "little percentages", (diet, training, sleep, vitamins, etc.) and attain more optimal growth.

But it's also wrong to paint some fearful picture of someone who "stops growing" the instant they take a sip, because it simply isn't true, and none of those studies prove otherwise.

restless
11-03-2002, 04:29 AM
Man, drink all you want, for all I care. I just find amazing that people who want to gain muscle indulge on a drug that lowers anabolic hormones and halts protein synthesis. Anyway, Bryan word is enough for me.

Majestic
11-03-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by restless
halts protein synthesis.

Incorrect. A 26% decrease for a few hours is not "halting" protein synthesis.tuttut

restless
11-09-2002, 06:23 AM
One more thing to take into consideration:

"Hepatic estrogen receptors and alcohol intake.

Colantoni A, Emanuele M, Kovacs E, Villa E, Van Thiel D.

Department of Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA

Human liver contains estrogen receptors (ER) which render it sensitive to estrogen. Chronic ethanol ingestion in humans and rats results in alterations of circulating sex steroid levels and expression of sex hormone-dependent phenotype. The analysis and quantitation of hepatic estrogen receptor (ER) activity and sex hormone-responsive proteins have been performed over the past two decades. Alcohol abuse appears to induce an increase in ER content of human liver, especially in patients with alcoholic hepatitis actively drinking. This observation is reproduced in an experimental model of chronic alcohol feeding of rats. In male rat liver, the increased ER expression induced by alcohol is associated with an elevated proliferation rate of the hepatocytes. In female liver, the ER content is not affected by alcohol intake and apoptosis prevails over proliferation. The feminization of the liver in males may protect the liver from the severe alcohol-induced liver injury seen in females."

Obviously this refers to chronic alcohol abuse, but is still something worth knowing.

Majestic
11-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by restless
Obviously this refers to chronic alcohol abuse, but is still something worth knowing.

Bro, if I were to average out the amount of times I consume alcohol in a month, it would probably be 6 times, and none of those days are within 24 hours following a workout. I would be very surprised if, according to currently available literature and testing, alcohol consumption was inhibiting my body's protein synthesis to any great degree.

If I know I'm going out of town or something for the weekend, I'll do my 3 day split on Mon/Wed/Thu, which leaves a little more than 24 hours of protein synth. before consuming a beer or three on Friday, *if* I happen to drink a beer on that Friday. But, to each his own.

For the record, I've actually followed your posts for a while, and have a great deal of respect for the thought you put into them.

Like I said earlier, we're all here to learn about all the little "percents" that add up to muscle gain, so any research is newsworthy (to me).

:cool:

restless
11-09-2002, 10:15 AM
Majestic, I wasn't in any way suggesting that you are a chronic alcohol consumer, just thought this was something interesting enough to post. The reason I worte that final sentence was to clarify that I was aware that this wouldn't really apply to most WBB posters.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

Edwin Hughes
11-23-2002, 06:03 PM
This sight is great!!! It is so hard to meet people in the everyday world who undrstand. I have found a new home.

Silverback
11-23-2002, 06:10 PM
Alcohol probably does have an effect on the building of muscle, but take Arnold as an example he'd drink almost every week and you can't knock anything he's achieved, alright he's a basket case but i know that i can drink once a week, fortnight and ill be alright.

Finding a balance is a must :)

LAM
11-23-2002, 06:22 PM
person who have problems gaining LBM and who naturally have low T levels should drink as little as possible.

Berserker
11-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Ed-understand what? have a life or abstain from alcohol?

NateDogg
11-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Edwin Hughes
This sight is great!!! It is so hard to meet people in the everyday world who undrstand. I have found a new home.

After your thread in general health, I thought we might see you in this one :D Welcome aboard!!

Podium Kreatin
11-23-2002, 08:37 PM
you get back what you put in; u drink, u will hinder your gains. nobody can force u to make a choice

anyways, ppl here seem to think that calories from the alcohol makes ppl fat... alcohol does have energy in the sense of bond energy, but the reason it makes you fat is b/c alcohol is a depressant (slows down metabolism, including protein synth).

bulking w/ alcohol is BAD, b/c it slows down ur protein synthesis as well as anything else, which'd beat the purpose of bulking in the first place

Berserker
11-24-2002, 01:11 AM
Alcohol does not make you fat. Being lazy and consuming more calories then you burn makes you fat. I am so sick of hearing that it makes you fat, especially from people who rarely drink. An spare me your sob stories. I drink a good deal and I am not fat. And I never stepped foot on a cardio machine in the gym.
Life is my cardio. IMO if your 3-5 hours a week in the gym is your physical acticvity for the week, get off your ass.
I don't think you should quote the WBB members when say they are against alcohol. There are a few people on here from my impression that imbibe.
I agree drinking and lifting will not give you 100% results. And there is a great deal mental and physcial problems that can result, but its not the end the world either.
By the way I am eating a pickled egg and drinking a beer.

Silverback
11-24-2002, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Berserker
Alcohol does not make you fat. Being lazy and consuming more calories then you burn makes you fat. I am so sick of hearing that it makes you fat, especially from people who rarely drink. An spare me your sob stories. I drink a good deal and I am not fat. And I never stepped foot on a cardio machine in the gym.
Life is my cardio. IMO if your 3-5 hours a week in the gym is your physical acticvity for the week, get off your ass.
I don't think you should quote the WBB members when say they are against alcohol. There are a few people on here from my impression that imbibe.
I agree drinking and lifting will not give you 100% results. And there is a great deal mental and physcial problems that can result, but its not the end the world either.
By the way I am eating a pickled egg and drinking a beer.

Some good points put forward Berserker and i'd have to agree with the majority. I dont mind the odd drink, when im out partying whatever, but i dont go out with the sole intention to get trollyed (at least since i started BB:) its just pretty sensible stuff.

Podium Kreatin
11-24-2002, 11:53 AM
it may not make you fat in the absolute sense, but compared to somebody who does the same thing (lifting, eating, etc) but who doesn't drink, your metabolism may be slightly slower.

=w=
11-24-2002, 12:21 PM
IT is not that it slows your metabolism; in fact there may be a slight up regulation of thermic response (ever wake up with a higher body temp and sweating after a night of drinking?). The reason that people get fat from alcohol is mainly due to the excess of utterly useless calories. Alcohol is a toxin and while in the body it is preferentially burned before anything else. Basically it puts a halt on any fat burning in your body, meaning you are more likely to have a positive fat balance when it is all said and done (and as we know +fat balance = get fatter). That said, I think that people are entirely over paranoid about alcohol. I have not seen all of the above sighted studies so I cant speak for all of them but most of those that I have seen showing negative responses to alcohol use inhuman amounts of alcohol that many would be hard pressed to survive. Also, as mentioned by someone above in some the ethanol is injected (and as mentioned that isnít the same as sipping a cold beer (or shooting everclear for all thatís worth :) ). Bottom line, donít stress too much, If you like drinking go for it, if you donít, then I highly recommend you do not drink. If you like drinking and you are getting fat (hey that happens with a constant supply of excess calories) then cut back on alcohol or make some other changes that could probably have a similar positive reaction. I am not saying a liter of vodka should now be anyoneís post workout shake but if you like having a drink relax, go out and have one (or a dozen or more) every once and a while.
:alcoholic

Berserker
11-24-2002, 12:31 PM
I agree, I am sure I would be ahead if I didn't drink. But I am not unhappy right now either. I have been cutting back on days I lift.
Acutally my metabolism might be slightly higher, thats what allows me to do this. Probably not though, I haven't been super skinny since I was 5. I've always carried weight, from lack of activity, then later compounded by drinking. Though in the last 2 years I dropped 40 lbs and I am in decent shape. My only point with all this rambling is if you are active, drinking won't make you fat. Usually when I drink I am busy doing stuff, not watching tv. Though lately I have been sitting on here quite a bit. Got to watch that, now that its getting cold I don't have the ambition. As always I am not advoacvting drinking.

Saint Patrick
11-25-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Podium Kreatin
bulking w/ alcohol is BAD, b/c it slows down ur protein synthesis as well as anything else, which'd beat the purpose of bulking in the first place

so if you're going to drink, it'd be better to do it during a cut?

GIS
11-25-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Clark

No there isn't. A straight shot of say vodka will have around 90 calories... beer has quite a few more than that.

bradley
11-25-2002, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by GIS

No there isn't. A straight shot of say vodka will have around 90 calories... beer has quite a few more than that.

Depends on the beer...Amstel Light 95 kcals. Which you are right still has more than 90.;)

bradley
11-25-2002, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by stpatrick44

so if you're going to drink, it'd be better to do it during a cut?

I think what he is saying is using the extra kcals from drinking to bulk up with, instead of just eating regular food.

Berserker
11-25-2002, 08:24 AM
Generally a shot is in70-90 cals range. Lite beer 107+ If you drinking candy shots it would probably higher. Is beer or wine better for you though? Its fermented and not distilled. Your body is still going to have to digest just as much alcohol though. Beer and wine probably work your kidneys more. Any studies?

goobermor
11-29-2002, 08:11 PM
ugh, i did the last of my 3 day split today, and now i gotta go to my friends house for a party

must resist the urge to drink!!!
that or just toke up :D

Puttn
11-30-2002, 08:40 AM
well the guys at my college dink every night, and they still are cut and big... yet i watch what i eat drink once a week lift hard 3 times a week and lose weight but the weights keep going up... plus these guys lift everyday and dont wake up til noon, and eat junk food when they eat which is hardly ever so i dont understand, i think im just flawed

fuzz
11-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Okay, everyone knows that alcohol sucks if you are trying to gain muscle/lose fat - that much is common knowledge.

But this is the real world. Drinking is fun. Getting drunk is even more fun. Waking up next to fugly girls whose name you can't recall is the best. Right? Right!!

So here's the fuzz, the former alcoholic's tips on how to drink and get away with it while lifting:

1. Do some HIIT (high intensity interval training) before you start the festivities. This will kick your metabolism into high gear for awhile due to the extended effect of interval cardio. Your beer cals will get burned off quicker.

2. Eat a good, clean meal before drinking. If you drink on an empty stomach, you will be that much hungrier come nights end and will end up eating 5 slices of pizza instead of 1. Also, food in your gut will help the processing of all the booze.

3. Drink a glass of water in between each alcoholic drink. This will not only slow down your consumption, but also keep you hydrated.

4. If you drink beer, drink lite beer (duh). If you drink mixed drinks, drink rum and diet cola or vodka and diet sprite. It tastes alright and once you get used to the diet or drunk enough the diet won't matter anymore.

5. If you plan on getting plastered, just do some shots and get it over with. Beer bongs = tons of empty calories...plus, shots have more variety. Jager. Rumplemintz. Goldschalger. MMmmmmm.

6. Eat something healthy at the end of the night - I know this will be tough when you're trashed, but just do it. Maybe a turkey sandwich with whole wheat bread, or chicken breast with rice. Stay away from Pizza Slut.

7. The day after: water, water, water - keep a jug of it next to your bed. Get a multivitamin, get some vitamin B complex, 2 aspirins. Drink some milk, maybe tomato juice, and eat some bread or something else simple. Get on with your day. Once you are feeling halfway decent go some moderate cardio to recharge yourself. It will suck at first but you'll feel better afterwards.

Hope this helps. I drank way too much in college. No wonder I never got anywhere with lifting. ;>

BECOMING
11-30-2002, 10:42 AM
although puttn and fuzz have ideniable guy logic the physiological point is this... the body cannot metabolize alchohol and if you eat when on the sauce like i am right now more than likly you WILL gey a pooch unless you have demi god genitics like BCC or something. Not saying that you drink all the time case just saying that it seems that you have decent genetics. body building + lots of drinking = wtf? Drink on the weekends just enough to get happy and you should be alright.

bradley
11-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by BECOMING
although puttn and fuzz have ideniable guy logic the physiological point is this... the body cannot metabolize alchohol and if you eat when on the sauce like i am right now more than likly you WILL gey a pooch unless you have demi god genitics like BCC or something. Not saying that you drink all the time case just saying that it seems that you have decent genetics. body building + lots of drinking = wtf? Drink on the weekends just enough to get happy and you should be alright.

From what I understand the body will metabolize alcohol before anything else.

Berserker
12-01-2002, 12:06 PM
yes the body burn alcohol as fuel first. As far as not eating while drink, put things in perseprective. Drink 2 nights a week, with a meal before bed. Thats 600-1000 cals extra a week. If you lead a halfway active life that shouldn't be big deal. If you don't, get off your ass. You will feel better and be more likely to lift the next day or be active, then if you got a hangover.
Don't eat if you don't have to, munchies. Eat good.

PowerManDL
12-01-2002, 05:11 PM
For what it worth, when I quit drinking back in August, I dropped from ~176 lbs down to under 165 in a matter of two weeks.

Majestic
12-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
I dropped from ~176 lbs down to under 165 in a matter of two weeks.

That certainly doesn't sound healthy. Am I incorrect in assuming quite a bit of that was muscle? That is just astonishing. How did you feel afterwards, and what happened to your lifts?

Changing the subject a bit, that "real ultimate power" website in your sig is friggin' AWESOME. I visited it quite a while ago, but re-checked it today, and that thing is quite a hoot. The "hate mail" is hilarious.

I was searching for Avatars a month ago, and I came across a 'Storm Shadow' pic (from GI Joe), but didn't use it because it would look too similar to yours. Didn't want to get accused of copying you, although I earned my black belt in Tang Soo Do at age 12, so I think I've earned it. Anyway, you're the original "ninja" here on this site, so I tip my hat to you.

You want me to dig it up for you and email it?

PowerManDL
12-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Nah, its cool.....I've got a Snake Eyes shot hanging around on my comp somewhere :angel:

As far as my weight loss-- if anything, my lifts went *up*, and quite a bit at that......the loss was mostly due to water and glycogen levels, I think, due to the fact that I wasn't gorging myself with 10000 kcals of beer every night.

AdamGberg
03-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Pro: Drunk
Con: Hangover and maybe waking up next to an ugly girl

Jip
03-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Everytime I get drunk, I wake up the next morning skinnier. I don't eat garbage when am sober, nor do eat junk when I am drunk. I dont have those wild sex nights so no exercise in that department. (Im religious)

So that skinnier in the morning is because of dehydration?

So much thinking, I need a beer.

Berserker
03-30-2003, 09:49 AM
Dehydration maybe or you didn't eat much when drinking. Just an empty stomach.

Ironman8
03-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Since we're talking about beer, what causes a beer gut?

Berserker
03-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Same as anything else to many cals and not enough activity. beer doesn't make you fat, lack of activity does.

bradley
03-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Ironman8
Since we're talking about beer, what causes a beer gut?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3B66E570.ED69C9CF%40onr.com

Complete thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=fa20d512fb07e913&rnum=1

Berserker
03-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Having a bloody mary right now. Atleast I know my day will get better.
I think aniother thing to consider is often your diets goes to sh$t when drinking.

Mic Soloist
08-19-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Majestic

I dunno about the word 'severely'.

I looked up some studies this morning, and the bottom line is that most of what I stumbled across indicate a temporary *decrease* in protein synthesis, not a complete halting of it. And there is certainly NO indication that it lasts "....24 hours...".

One of the studies I viewed indicated a 23-26% decrease in protein synthesis. So, you're still growing, but for a short period of time, you'll only grow at 70%+ of your normal rate of growth.

So maybe what we're looking at here is a question of timing?

I agree it's important to note that alcohol inhibits, or "decreases" protein synth. I think it's also important to note that many/most aspects of protein synthesis stop around 24-36 hours after a workout.

My split, for instance, is Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday.

The protein synthesis induced from Thursday's workout is finished by the time I'm drinking on Friday night, and the "temporarily decreased protein synth." phase is over by the time I'm lifting on Saturday.

See you at the bar on Friday.

my hero:)