PDA

View Full Version : Tips for preventing muscle loss while cutting



Saint Patrick
11-01-2002, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna start my cut in a couple months, and was wondering if anyone could offer tips from their own personal experience for preventing loss of muscle tissue while on a cut (besides keeping a high protein intake, obviously).

Shao-LiN
11-02-2002, 12:35 AM
L-glutamine, creatine, don't cut too many cals.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Don't drop cals too low too quick.

Keep lifting heavy-ass weights.

Keep your protein intake high (or higher - at least 1g per lb, possibly 1.5g per lb).

Do some sort of cyclical carb loading or refeeding.

gopher
11-02-2002, 08:52 AM
BCAAs before and during training will aid in muscle preservation and fat loss on a low carb diet. If you plan to use a low carb approach I would also use a carb up meal before bed every 3rd or 4th day.

LAM
11-02-2002, 10:48 AM
along with what TCD stated...do NOT drop cals AND increase cardio or your activity level at once. that is a certain recipe for disaster (major catabolism)...

Saint Patrick
11-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Do some sort of cyclical carb loading or refeeding.

What if I'm not doing a keto? I was thinking of just doing a CID and manipulating calories.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by stpatrick44


What if I'm not doing a keto? I was thinking of just doing a CID and manipulating calories.

Ummm...what exactly do you think the 'cyclical' part of a CID is?

Saint Patrick
11-02-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy


Ummm...what exactly do you think the 'cyclical' part of a CID is?

(Big light bulb flashing over my head)

sorry, had a brain fart.

Tank23
11-04-2002, 04:04 AM
brain fart....hahaaha

YatesNightBlade
11-04-2002, 08:23 AM
I just had a real fart.

Manipulating carbs and cardio is best. Slowly.

Tiare
11-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Cardio while on ketosis is not the best bet. Did you try without the ketonic aspect and a good cardio routine or did you just decide ketosis is what you want to do?

Increasing your cardio while cutting your diet by about 500 cals will do wonders for cutting fat. By keeping your diet high, your body is less likely to canibalize muscle IMO.

eclips1
11-04-2002, 11:22 AM
I think a well balanced diet keeping your calories slightly under daily neccessity is best. If you do low carbs/high protien, a lot of your protien intake will be utilized as energy defeating the purpose of eating low carbs. This is what I'm thinking, some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you aren't patient enough for the well balanced diet, I'd say get drastic with a low low calorie/ high protien diet. Or a low carb/low protien diet!(I'll get blasted for that one!) I'm about to start the low carb/low protien diet trying to drop 20lbs in less than a month.

Shao-LiN
11-04-2002, 01:50 PM
Good luck keeping muscle.

eclips1
11-04-2002, 03:33 PM
We'll see. I'm still shooting for 100 grams of protien, so I don't mean low low protien. But 100 is low to me considering I've been bulking w/ 250 + grams of protien/day.

Shao-LiN
11-05-2002, 03:21 AM
I dunno...restricting both carbs AND protein, seems like a formula for muscle loss to me.

YatesNightBlade
11-05-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by eclips1
I think a well balanced diet keeping your calories slightly under daily neccessity is best. If you do low carbs/high protien, a lot of your protien intake will be utilized as energy defeating the purpose of eating low carbs. This is what I'm thinking, some one please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you aren't patient enough for the well balanced diet, I'd say get drastic with a low low calorie/ high protien diet. Or a low carb/low protien diet!(I'll get blasted for that one!) I'm about to start the low carb/low protien diet trying to drop 20lbs in less than a month.

Im here to blast ya.

Low Carbs AND low protein ? Fats ? If so how many and what fats ?

Pup
11-05-2002, 07:50 AM
I hope you didn't spend too much on supplements in the last year...cause those 20lbs are gonna catabolize all the muscle you've just built.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade


Im here to blast ya.

Low Carbs AND low protein ? Fats ? If so how many and what fats ?

Please do blast me! I'm always willing to learn something new!!

I'm still experimenting but I'm now thinking; 150 grams of fat, under 50 carbs(shooting for 30), and 100 grams of protien per day for the 1st week, moving up to 150 grams of protien for the 2nd week. Then I want to take a couple days off and go up to a balanced diet eating 4000 cals/day. Then repeat.

I don't mind loosing some muscle. I think I will still loose a higher % of fat than muscle. Then once I get my weight down I'll bulk again the way I use to in a manner to increase my muscle but keep my weight balanced.

YatesNightBlade
11-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Building muscle is the hardest think to do. So minimizing these losses should be high priority.

Your protein should be used for recovery and not fuel. People often forget that your body uses protein for other functions like nail and hair growth, making more sense to have higher amounts.

bradley
11-05-2002, 09:43 AM
I would keep the protien intake at about 150g if you are going to keep carbs that low (which should put you in ketosis). After three weeks you could then decrease your protien intake as your adaptations to ketosis occur. Increase or decrease fat intake to alter calorie levels.

eclips1
11-05-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by YatesNightBlade
Building muscle is the hardest think to do. So minimizing these losses should be high priority.

Your protein should be used for recovery and not fuel. People often forget that your body uses protein for other functions like nail and hair growth, making more sense to have higher amounts.

A good point. Thats why I said a balanced diet under daily neccessity is ideal. Anything else your garuanteed to use your protien intake as energy. Especially with a low carb diet. I'm willing to loose some muscle, but the bulk of my weight loss should be fat. Pick your poison. I myself haven't been able to sustain a long standing balanced diet. Ketosis works well for me because I have an abundance of fat cells in my body(way more than the average person). Even though I don't have high body fat(close to 20% now). This also in theory, I believe makes it easier for me to gain muscle than the average person(approx 25lbs in the last year).

Saint Patrick
11-24-2002, 08:54 PM
ok, to hell w/ keto, I'm just gonna slowly drop cals and keep the same macronutrient ratios. I weighed in at 191 at the gym today - I looked in the mirror today, and I have a gut!!!! I've never had a gut in my life. Definitely time to cut.

bradley
11-25-2002, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by stpatrick44
ok, to hell w/ keto, I'm just gonna slowly drop cals and keep the same macronutrient ratios. I weighed in at 191 at the gym today - I looked in the mirror today, and I have a gut!!!! I've never had a gut in my life. Definitely time to cut.

Just reduce cals slowly. Don't try and lose it all in one day.;)