PDA

View Full Version : Mircowaves and acrilamide

tuttle
11-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know if mircowaving Carb foods in a mircowave will cause the formation of acrilmide? I know that grilling, roasting etc does but what about mircowaves?

Boiling is the safest Ive heard as the temperature doesnt exceed 100 0c, but to cook my oats like this takes hours and is bloodly inpractical. Would using a low mircowave setting eg 560 watts for a only a short period (1-2 minutes) be ok/better?

Any help from you science aware muscle boys would be really appreicated

Thanks,

Tuttle:confused:

Shao-LiN
11-02-2002, 04:36 PM
Does that mean grilling food causes cancer?

gettinjackT
11-02-2002, 05:45 PM
cooking food causes cancer, you should never cook your food. Eating it raw causes cancer as well, so whatever you do, don't eat it raw.

Alex.V
11-02-2002, 06:10 PM
"Foods in which acrylamide develops when cooked at above 120 degrees Celsius include potato chips, french fries, bread and processed cereals. "

That would imply, regardless of heat source, the substance is formed provided the heat reaches 120 degrees celsius. btw, boiling food would not cause this formation. And I get the impression that the primary reason this is contained in food is because said food is often processed/created in a large factory and exposed to vapors that it shouldn't be. With oats, you might be okay.

PS- stfu and stop worrying. Just cook your damn food. :)

Saint Patrick
11-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Belial
PS- stfu and stop worrying. Just cook your damn food. :)

:withstupi

restless
11-03-2002, 04:24 AM
Acrilamid is formed when cooking carbohidrate rich foods at high temperatures. I see no reason to believe microwave would be any diferent. At what temperature does it heat things up?

the doc
11-03-2002, 08:22 AM
oh c'mon you guys

acrilamide is formed when a mixture of carbohydrate AND protein is heated to high temperature.

Is has been suggested that the amino acid arginine is responsible for donating the nitrogen portion wheras pyrollitic dehydration of glucose is resposible for the carbon fragments

the doc
11-03-2002, 08:24 AM
also there is some question as to the bio availiility of this acrilamide since it a good substrate for the micheal addition of amines and in the presence of aminos in the stomach would most like have already reacted before it is absorbed, in my chemical opinion :)

restless
11-03-2002, 08:27 AM
Well, all carbohydrate foods will have at least some traces of protein, right?

Alex.V
11-03-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by the doc
oh c'mon you guys

acrilamide is formed when a mixture of carbohydrate AND protein is heated to high temperature.

Is has been suggested that the amino acid arginine is responsible for donating the nitrogen portion wheras pyrollitic dehydration of glucose is resposible for the carbon fragments

Interesting. I hadn't heard much about it at all. Thought I read somewhere that it was an impurity from manufacturing.

lol @ your exasperation. We can't all be overeducated. ;)

GonePostal
11-03-2002, 12:16 PM
now lets see if you can integrate x/lnx LOL
j/k
Very educated answer. Now I know why that "causes" cancer

the doc
11-03-2002, 12:39 PM
SOrry for the overuse of jargon :)

B, yes it is true, and in some respects it is a byproduct of the manufacturing process in that most manufactured foods are baked/fried at extreme temperatures for various reasons. Most of the acrylamide will be generated in the brown areas that develop during cooking (ie the crust of bread).

Acrylamide has not actually been proven to cause cancer in humans, although it is a suspected carcinogen
Why is it suspected? Acrylamide belongs to a class of compounds called micheal acceptors. THese compounds react with nitrogens found on the DNA bases (mainly guanine) which encode your genetic make-up. Now when a cell goes to replicate itself, and the enzyme which copies your dna for the new cell comes along and finds one of these modifies DNA bases it does not necessarily recognize what base is there and may substitue one of the other bases in the replication process. This is what is known as a point mutation and may be responsible for initiating cancerous growth.

restless
11-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Nice post Doc. Thanks for the clarification.