PDA

View Full Version : Eating after training.....anything goes???

kathnmarc
11-03-2002, 07:21 AM
I heard or read once that anything consumed post workout was used in the muscle building process. Is this true??? Since I read or heard that, I have been eating like hell after a training session. It seems to be working so far, I have made great gains so far. Is this okay???? I heard 3 hours is the limit for this.

Shao-LiN
11-03-2002, 10:02 AM
A protein shake with some simple carbs like dextrose or maltodextrin would be ideal.

rookiebldr
11-03-2002, 10:17 AM
I agree with Shao-LiN. I would also suggest that you digest it as quickly as possible after your workout. 3 hours is too long, IMHO. Try you first post w/o meal within 10 mins and second about 1-2 hours after that.

kathnmarc
11-03-2002, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on my explanation.....I meant to say I heard that everything you eat within three hours post workout is immediately used in the rebuilding process. Is that part true? Is it free eating time for the three hours following heavy training? Thanks for the responses guys.

AJ_11
11-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by kathnmarc
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear on my explanation.....I meant to say I heard that everything you eat within three hours post workout is immediately used in the rebuilding process. Is that part true? Is it free eating time for the three hours following heavy training? Thanks for the responses guys.

not really. I heard that there is a 3 hour window of oppertunity as well but it's not what you think. Listen to Shao-lin he knows his sh*t. Try to consume more smaller meals within the three hours and within the first hour try to take in high Glycemic Foods. this food will process at a quicker rate. Then within the next 2 hours have some chicken and potatoes with a salad a little later and that should keep you full for a while. You don't want to get too much fat becasue it will digest too slow, slowing down your digestion.

I got this from www.ast-ss.com where they swear by the 3 hour window of oppertunity. I don't go to that site anymore becasue they are another muscletech, and think that their products are superior. but they do offer some good advice once you cut through the bull.

Shao-LiN
11-03-2002, 03:00 PM
I don't know. I'd say that is the anabolic window that you should take advantage of. But if you want to optimize it, protein shake w/ carbs post workout...and then eat or drink another high protein meal about an hour later.

I wouldn't go crazy eating everything in that 3 hours cus you think it may turn into muscle instead of fat.