PDA

View Full Version : Need to get a lot bigger!!

FatalXhussein
11-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Hey everyone, im new to the board and thought I'd sign up because all of you seem to have a lot of knowledge about weightlifting. First of all, I am about 5'10 150 and 16 years old. I want to gain around 25 lbs in around 7 months of muscle mass. First of all, is this a possible feat? And nextly, how should I attain this, people say eat a ton more, what foods are good to eat that I can eat/make fast since I dont have much time to eat throughout the day? And lastly, will supplements like creatine and protein help me get to my goal? Thanks for any replies.

Shao-LiN
11-03-2002, 04:58 PM
It's possible. Creatine will help, but you don't really need it to start out. Your body should respond well, especially wince you're still very young.

Eat a lot, at least 16 or 18 times your weight in kcals. Foods easy to eat/make - tuna, chicken, pasta, peanut butter sandwiches, and more.

Ninja
11-03-2002, 05:53 PM
If you take Creatine its not really muscle mass its just Water retetion in your muscles and once u go off Creatine you will lose most of it.

Its extreamly hard to gain 25pounds of pure mass in 7 months

p.s
Creatine will help with weghit lifting cause it helps your endurance

LAM
11-03-2002, 06:02 PM
#1 - set youself some realistic goals. gaining 25 lbs of LBM is not very realistic. very possible for a newbie however. I am an advocate to the slow and steady approach to weight gain. many person's who gain weight rapidly suffer from chronic injury from such.

#2 - post your training routine and diet

#3 - at your level supplements should be minimal. protein, multivitamin, essential fatty acids (EFA's) and if your budget allows some BCAA's. the minumu age of creatine use is 16. I would get at least a solid year or so of training before supplementing with creatine. it is not a miracle supplement, but it does work.

restless
11-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by LAM
#1 - set youself some realistic goals. gaining 25 lbs of LBM is not very realistic. very possible for a newbie however. I am an advocate to the slow and steady approach to weight gain. many person's who gain weight rapidly suffer from chronic injury from such.

Mind explaining what do you mean by this?

LAM
11-03-2002, 07:58 PM
with rapid weight gain the ratio of LBM:Fat will almost be equal. so that's 50 lbs on the scale. you don't want to gain 50 lbs in 1/2 a year especially at his age and most likely involved (asuming that he is) in other sports.

performance wise slower weight gain is optimum for athletes...

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2002, 08:45 AM
Realistically, the average (i.e. not new, young or on AAS) lifter stands to gain about 2-4lbs a month providing all (or most) variable fall into place nicely. Naturally, some months will be freaky where you gain more or gain less, but on average a good 4lb gain of muscle per month is a good standard.

Therefore, LAM is spot on with his slow gaining approach and is why i also say to control calories to gain 0.5lb a week. Anything more is just unnecessary fat accumulation which makes the cutting cycles last longer and become more annyoing. It's also the reason why i rarely refer to a gaining phase as a "bulk". It's a repulsive word that insinuates (needless) fat gain.

And overall, slow gaining means you can stay in calorie surplus for longer without worrying as much about fat gain, which has an extremely positive mental response. Too long in calorie deficit really fcuks with your head.

For the exceptions noted above, a young lifter or a new lifter i wouldn't dictate a diet to really. Just give them the foods groups to chose from and the basic structure each meal should be and tell them to eat whenever they're hungry. Let their eyes dictate the meal size.

With someone on AAS either plan out a diet plan with a lot more protein and a lot more calories or just let them eat. I think personally, for me, i'd plan a diet out to make the most accurate assessment, but i suspect just leaving the person to their own discretion would still result in the gains.

ElPietro
11-04-2002, 08:55 AM
Him being 16 right now though, means that his natural testosterone levels should be peaking though right? So his propensity to hypetrophy should be much higher than normal yes? This coupled with being a newbie should mean that his goal isn't too far-fetched wouldn't you think?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2002, 09:04 AM
Between 16-21 or so.

25lbs is possible yeah.

he'll easily hit 15lbs in 6 months.

With the right kind of training and a good eating plan, 25lbs is quite probable.

ElPietro
11-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Another problem I forsee...is if he goes through a growth spurt, 25lbs will be a drop in the bucket. I mean, if he gains a couple inches or more height-wise, 25lbs will probably be the minimum he needs just to continue looking as he is now.

Relentless
11-04-2002, 09:31 AM
is there a particular reason you've set your sights on gaining 25lbs?

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-04-2002, 09:32 AM
24lbs gained is small dude.

And 26lbs is like a pro.

Nah, 25lbs is where it's at.

Tiare
11-04-2002, 10:13 AM
Pre-20's I think trying to actually predict how much weight someone can gain in 6 months is a shaky proposition. You should look to set your goals by watching the increase in the weight you lift rather than in the amount you weigh.

Shoot for increasing your bench by 1.5 times (if he's a newbie, it's possible) and learning to do proper squats and proper deadlifts.

Kev70
11-04-2002, 07:28 PM
I gained twenty five pounds in my freshman year of highschool. I was a literal string. I could gain nothing and then started lifting (very moderately) and it was easy. Fall in love with a high calorie food and you'll be fine. For me it was easy Sicilian Cheese Pizza followed by a nap :p .