PDA

View Full Version : A teen died after being 1-2 weeks on on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet!!

rookies
11-03-2002, 11:29 PM
what are your thoughts of this?? I'm scared:eek:

rookies
11-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Forgot the link!
http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=3105

entrrt
11-03-2002, 11:31 PM
where'd ya hear this? post link to story.

entrrt
11-03-2002, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rookies
Forgot the link!
http://www.heartcenteronline.com/myheartdr/home/research-detail.cfm?reutersid=3105 [/QUOT

thanks...

GonePostal
11-03-2002, 11:48 PM
lol easy solution take a mutli and your fine... but high protein low carb diets aren't that good in the first place. I would just go with a more conservative diet and break up the macro nutrients into what ever ratio fits you. The protien didn't kill her it was the lack of nutrients that did...

Paul Stagg
11-04-2002, 09:40 AM
F-d up mineral and electrolyte levels are an indicator of an eating disorder.

I think they are blaming the diet, when she may in fact have been low carbing and vomiting up her meat and fat.

Tiare
11-04-2002, 10:07 AM
"Girl on Atkins diet shoots herself in head; Dr's blame diet for teens death"

Paul Stagg
11-04-2002, 10:12 AM
LOL.

Gyno Rhino
11-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Yeh. This teen died because of problems that had NOTHING to do with high protein diet.

Budiak
11-05-2002, 03:06 AM
This is scandalous, smear-campaign bull****.

The teen had low potassium and calcium levels when she arrived at the University of Missouri Health Sciences Center, most likely as a consequence of the diet, the doctors state in their report

What are some things that all girls know? That they are told, practically from birth? Women need to supplement certain vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, B-vitamins, etc even more than men do.

This is such crap, it angers me. Dont meats have a decent amount of calcium in them anyways?

It wasnt the diet, I guarantee that. Ask the millions and millions of other people who are on atkins, ask them "Excuse me sir, have you died?"

The answer, not surprisingly, will probably be no. I think at least 85% of the participants in that survey will say 'no sir, I am not dead, for I take my vitamins while on atkins because I'm not an idiot"

I am actually physically angered by this crap.

Delphi
11-05-2002, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Budiak
It wasnt the diet, I guarantee that. Ask the millions and millions of other people who are on atkins, ask them "Excuse me sir, have you died?"

The answer, not surprisingly, will probably be no. I think at least 85% of the participants in that survey will say 'no sir, I am not dead, for I take my vitamins while on atkins because I'm not an idiot"

Sounds like a good use for the Zombie Alarm to me. ;)

I vote she purged to get the electrolyte abnormalities that killed her.

Paul Stagg
11-05-2002, 09:18 AM
Sounds like purging to me.

Accorking to the article, she was on the diet for 2 weeks or something - I can't imagine your mineral deficiencey would KILL you after 2 weeks. Hell, people can survive with NO food for quite some time.

But, that wouldn't make interesting press, would it?

The Calvinator
11-05-2002, 10:03 AM
Sounds like the you shouldnt have to resort to the Atkins Diet, it leaves you flabby anyways..... Whatever happened to a well balanced meal??